News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Muggings don't signal crime epidemic, TTC says
Commission defends safety record despite eight robberies in two weeks on subway, including swarmings by groups of teens

JEFF GRAY

From Monday's Globe and Mail

November 5, 2007 at 5:28 AM EST

A series of muggings at subway stations in recent weeks is not a sign that crime on the public transit system is getting out of control, Toronto Transit Commission officials say.

In the past two weeks, police have reported at least eight instances in which people were mugged, many of them swarmed by groups of teens at subway stations - or while riding subway trains - across the city.

TTC chairman Adam Giambrone acknowledged that the list of reported crimes - including an incident at Kennedy Station on Tuesday afternoon when four young men attacked two others over a cellphone - was longer than he would expect.

Two or three a week would not be unusual, he said.

"My understanding is that crime is not growing exponentially. But at the commission, we have various security issues," Mr. Giambrone said, adding that he is notified of every incident. "Proportionately," he said, "I believe crime is actually steady or falling on the system."

While the TTC would not release figures for 2007, the crime rate on the transit system rose in 2006. The agency recorded 1,601 crimes of all descriptions against passengers in 2006, for a crime rate of 0.36 crimes per 100,000 riders, an increase from 0.29 in 2005 and 0.24 in 2004. The rates more than double when crimes against TTC staff are included.

An assault or other crime against a driver or a collector happens at least every other day, Mr. Giambrone said. Incidents range from a slap in the face to more serious attacks: In May, a TTC collector was stabbed at Lawrence Station and his booth set on fire.

However, the centre of the TTC's crime-fighting initiatives - plans to add 8,500 new surveillance cameras on vehicles and in subway stations - has run into controversy, and not just because of the $33.6-million cost, $6.4-million of which is being covered by Ottawa.

The province's Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner launched an investigation into the TTC's camera program after a complaint from the London-based advocacy group Privacy International.

The group argues that the TTC's plans are "disproportionate" and violate privacy laws, and that the transit agency has ignored studies suggesting the usefulness of cameras in fighting crime is "marginal."

Toronto police, who have been experimenting with surveillance cameras in certain high-crime areas around the city, say that cameras are useful in investigations and that footage has helped lead to arrests in killings, sexual assaults, armed robberies and even the rescue of abducted children.

In April, TTC cameras recorded a stabbing at Kennedy subway station, and a 26-year-old man was arrested a few days later.

The cameras are not the only security measures the TTC is bringing in. In addition to being more mindful of safety concerns as it refurbishes or builds new subway stations, the transit agency is dramatically increasing its complement of special constables - who are unarmed but have police-like powers on TTC property.

The agency has added 22 in the past two years, bringing the force to 98, with plans - not yet approved by the city's number crunchers - to add another 20 in 2008.

Eventually, it hopes to have 174 special constables patrolling subway stations and bus and streetcar routes.

Mugged on the subway

A scan of recent police crime reports shows a level of violent crime on the TTC that some may find disturbing.

Wilson

Oct. 20, 10 p.m. 13-year-old boy beaten and robbed of wallet, iPod, phone, sweater and shoes.

Yorkdale

Oct. 21, 9:15 p.m. 26-year-old man robbed of cash.

Wellesley

Oct. 25, 5:30 p.m. 15-year-old girl fends off attempt to steal backpack.

Sherbourne

Oct. 20, 12:30 p.m. 18-year-old man robbed of phone and metropass.

Broadview

Oct. 24, 2:45 p.m. 13-year-old girl robbed of iPod.

Oct. 29, 9:30 p.m. 17-year-old girl robbed of a bag.

Kennedy

Oct. 29, 12:10 a.m. Three teenage males robbed of cash and a phone between stations.

Oct. 30, 4 p.m. When a 17- and 20-year-old male refused to hand over a phone, they were thrown down and kicked repeatedly.

Is this really unique to the TTC?:confused:

I was under the impression that you could become a victim of crime anywhere...

Broadview

Oct. 24, 2:45 p.m. 13-year-old girl robbed of iPod.

Oct. 29, 9:30 p.m. 17-year-old girl robbed of a bag.

Also at Broadview Station on Nov 1st....

from CTV News:

Toronto police are asking for the public's help identifying a man who tried to abduct a five-year-old girl at Broadview subway station, in the city's east end.
The girl and her mother had just gotten off a westbound train at about 6 p.m. and were walking on the platform when a man ran up behind them.
The suspect tried to snatch the girl from her mother's grip, police said. When the man was unable to take the child, he ran off in an unknown direction.
The child was not hurt, but she and her mother were shaken by the incident, police said.

--------------------

One of my neighbours complained recently of a man 'playing with himself' on the train. After some other passengers intervened, he left the train at Broadview.
This sort of brazeness is quite scary and I hope the new cameras will deter these people.

Also at Broadview Station on Nov 1st....

from CTV News:

Toronto police are asking for the public's help identifying a man who tried to abduct a five-year-old girl at Broadview subway station, in the city's east end.
The girl and her mother had just gotten off a westbound train at about 6 p.m. and were walking on the platform when a man ran up behind them.
The suspect tried to snatch the girl from her mother's grip, police said. When the man was unable to take the child, he ran off in an unknown direction.
The child was not hurt, but she and her mother were shaken by the incident, police said.

--------------------

One of my neighbours complained recently of a man 'playing with himself' on the train. After some other passengers intervened, he left the train at Broadview.
This sort of brazeness is quite scary and I hope the new cameras will deter these people.

Sadly, I doubt cameras will deter someone from touching themselves on the train when people being around them isn't deterrence enough.

Robberies will continue to increase as people continue to decorate themselves with expensive gadgets. If you have white earphones, you are worth a fair chunk of change to anybody who's willing to take it.

TTC Subway: Is crime increasing?

Everyone: I found this story interesting-is the TTC having problems with youth gangs with swarming as mentioned? I remember problems of this type in NY City and Philadelphia-I recall in the 80s the term used was WOLF PACKS - usually a group of a dozen or more predominately minority youths that would get together and sometimes violently beat up and rob their victims. The term used by these groups during their crime sprees I recall was "WILDING". Swarming was a more recent term used to describe this activity.

On public transit some of the highest crime times is school dismissal times-I notice some of the crimes in the article were of this type and age group of those involved. If this crime is becoming more prevalent and violent the TTC and TPD have to crack down-before fear to use the TTC Subways starts to drive riders away-as it did in NYC back in the 70s and earlier 80s.
My memories of the TTC Subway is of a well-used safe system-let's hope is does not deteriorate and decline like NYCs once did. Toronto's well-being depends on good-and safe-mass transit. Commentary by LI MIKE

Is this really unique to the TTC?:confused:

I was under the impression that you could become a victim of crime anywhere...

You have your answers locally. Don't know if you've been to Paris, but these type of crime have gone on there for decades on public transportation.

One of the techniques I saw was the on/off swarm of children that grabbed and ran. They grabbed hats, and purses, and jewelry, and coats, etc. When caught they rarely received any serious procecutions, because there were laws still on the books to protect them. This is the reason they were recruited by the criminal element in the first place.

And as to deviant behaviour on public transformation, that is everywhere, everyday, in big and small cities around the world.

By the way, is there a website where we can view crime statistics for the TTC or in general in Toronto ?

Mugging on the TTC? Well, if we're getting a whole lotta cameras installed throughout our system, sure, there'll be some wiseacre kids who'll make faces for the cameras

Back