News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Eglinton Station - work is being done at the south (unmanned) entrance. There is a temporary employee with fare box during construction.

No sign yet of work being done at main entrance.

TTC updated their Presto fare gate installation pages. Five more stations left to be scheduled: Chester, Coxwell, Woodbine, Lawrence East and Ellesmere.

TTC updated their Presto fare gate installation pages. Five more stations left to be scheduled: Chester, Coxwell, Woodbine, Lawrence East and Ellesmere.

I grabbed this photo at Woodbine a couple of weeks ago. It speaks to just what a major job it is to wire the new fare gates into each station. This work is a precursor to the actual 'installation' schedule.
And what a mistake it is to pinch pennies on these projects - let's hope the finished state is prettier than this.

- Paul
IMG_2224.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2224.JPG
    IMG_2224.JPG
    688.6 KB · Views: 1,045
I presume the last two will have Presto readers installed instead?

I grabbed this photo at Woodbine a couple of weeks ago. It speaks to just what a major job it is to wire the new fare gates into each station. This work is a precursor to the actual 'installation' schedule.
And what a mistake it is to pinch pennies on these projects - let's hope the finished state is prettier than this.

- Paul

I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry at that. Given the effort taken to drill through what looked like two layers of concrete (ceiling and floor), I'd expected it to be permanent - maybe there is the intent to cover it with something (that will promptly be left half opened, like the cladding for the utility ducts at Dufferin)?

AoD

I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry at that. Given the effort taken to drill through what looked like two layers of concrete (ceiling and floor), I'd expected it to be permanent - maybe there is the intent to cover it with something (that will promptly be left half opened, like the cladding for the utility ducts at Dufferin)?

AoD

When you consider the number of contractors and trades that it must have taken to design, prep, drill, install, and finish that power drop - you realise why this is taking so long.

I wonder if the drawings for the stations are available on CAD...... or were the engineers working from the original paper drawings. Getting the engineering data into the electronic age is the sort of essential task that City Hall would likely cut from budgets, year after year.

I'm digressing - but - you realise how much the 'clean' look of the 1960's design has been compromised by retrofirs. It's a cautionary tale for those new TYSSE stations..... in fifty years, they will look just as crappy.

- Paul

Last edited:
I'm digressing - but - you realise how much the 'clean' design of the 1960's has been compromised by retrofirs. It's a cautionary tale for those new TYSSE stations..... in fifty years, they will look just as crappy.

Station design cannot accommodate for all possible futures, but some practices hold up better than others. For example - if there is a false ceiling above the platform areas, it wouldn't have been such an aesthetic disaster than the painted ceiling that it is now.

AoD

New station construction should include some sort of "Jefferies Tubes", where plumbing, power, communication and other infrastructure utilities could be routed through them. New infrastructure should be added without having to tear down or drill through existing structures, or at the very least to a minimum.

tngcaption13d.jpg

False ceilings and hallow floors could be a type of "Jefferies Tubes".

- Paul
View attachment 88341

That conduit has been in place for the better part of a year. I'm pretty sure that it has more to do with the elevator construction and updating the various electrical systems in the station than it does anything specifically with the new fare gates.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That conduit has been in place for the better part of a year. I'm pretty sure that it has more to do with the elevator construction and updating the various electrical systems in the station than it does anything specifically with the new fare gates.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Maybe for T-Connect WiFi too.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I can't speak to Woodbine specifically, but it seems reasonable that these upgrades may have impacted the fare gate program. Things like the elevator program and wifi have had their own measured pace, and weren't intending to be complete in time for fare gates.

If this one has been there for a while, it does support the earlier comment that TTC leaves these things in a half-finished state for a long time.

- Paul

Presumably Coxwell will wait (and wait) until more of the elevator construction work is done and the bus loop is back in operation

Eglinton station update but not an upate:

Still not done. Sometimes there is a fare collector and sometimes there is not and it is a free for all.
I took a peak between the doors into the workzone and it looks empty. No gates installed.

Back