News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Say someone does not want to pay. Could they just wait go through the gates as soon as someone else swipes their own card and walks through?

Say someone does not want to pay. Could they just wait go through the gates as soon as someone else swipes their own card and walks through?

yes currently poel have to do that with children. However following someone through with out tapping is fare evasion and should not be encouraged.

Why are there free transfers to Viva and GO Transit at York University Station?

Free transfers is the wrong wording. There are transfers with various 905 transit agencies in which Metrolinx pays all/part of the fare on behalf of the customer. The full fare is still charged, just not to the rider.

The benefits Metrolinx gets by doing this (not constructing a $50k parking space) doesn't apply to most TTC->GO transfers.

And they can do that today with the existing fare gates, using the wheelchair gates. Or walk through the bus bays. Or through the existing full-height turnstyles.

Fare evasion is not a new thing brought about by these new fare gates.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The screen was down at Donlands so I was able to take a look at progress this morning.

Looks like all of the proper work had been done to the floors. The footings looked to be installed and the tile surrounding the new conduits, etc was replaced. The only thing missing is the actual gates themselves, and I haven't seen them on-site yet, either. I imagine it won't be too long to get them installed, connected, and tested.

Looks like all of the proper work had been done to the floors. The footings looked to be installed and the tile surrounding the new conduits, etc was replaced. The only thing missing is the actual gates themselves, and I haven't seen them on-site yet, either. I imagine it won't be too long to get them installed, connected, and tested.
It's the same at Greenwood as well.

Eglinton West is up now:
DSC_0016.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 566
I've also heard that there will be free transfers specifically for the trip of getting off the GO Train at Downsview Park, getting on the subway, and getting off at York University--the rationale I've heard isn't that we feel bad for students and want to throw them a discount, but rather because we don't want to slap them with a new penalty: students currently don't have to pay a TTC fare for the GO Train trip into York U, since they just get off at the GO station and walk or take the free York-run shuttle bus.

Free transfers is the wrong wording. There are transfers with various 905 transit agencies in which Metrolinx pays all/part of the fare on behalf of the customer. The full fare is still charged, just not to the rider.

From my understanding, one of the conditions for subway funding from the provincial government and York Region (who are paying for half of the subway extension's cost) was that they wouldn't lose their services to York University. So that requires a free transfer - free as in "given away for no revenue", not getting part of the cost covered by the other transit agency. There's also the Go Transit co-fare that the city is supposedly negotiating, which is when Metrolinx agrees to pay some portion of the fare and the local transit agency charges a small amount (not necessarily adding up to the full fare, which is why the negotiation is needed), but that's a separate issue.

I'm not sure if a tap-out would be needed at Highway 7, Highway 407, Pioneer Village or Downsview Park. Presto can be programmed to retroactively apply the co-fare - for example, if you take a YRT bus and then a Go Train, your YRT fare is reduced from $3.40 to 75 cents without having to tap off. At York University though, it would be needed if the free transfers are going to be applied, otherwise Presto has no way of knowing whether you got off there or at another TTC stop.

I'm not sure if a tap-out would be needed at Highway 7, Highway 407, Pioneer Village or Downsview Park. Presto can be programmed to retroactively apply the co-fare - for example, if you take a YRT bus and then a Go Train, your YRT fare is reduced from $3.40 to 75 cents without having to tap off. At York University though, it would be needed if the free transfers are going to be applied, otherwise Presto has no way of knowing whether you got off there or at another TTC stop.

The notion of a tap-out being required is, as you say, not relevant if one is connecting to YRT, Viva, or GO, but rather for when one simply travels to 407 or VMC and doesn't connect to another agency...my understanding might be inaccurate, and this is probably still being finalized, but from what I know, since you're crossing steeles the $3.40 YRT fare would be added on for travel to 407 or VMC even just by subway, much as it is today when you travel north of steeles on a TTC bus. So, tap-out would be required for those trips where one doesn't connect to a bus.

And, as you mentioned, it would be required at Pioneer Village, York University, and Downsview Park for the sake of those 100%-free transfers to/from routes that used to serve York U...and at that point, they'll probably do it at Finch W too just to have the TYSSE be universal.

It should also be noted that this is all somewhat a moot point--the TTC has stated many times that they intend to require tap-out across the entire subway network once Presto and the new faregates are fully deployed; partly to help combat fare evasion (one would have to jump the gates twice, not once), and to pave the way for fare by distance/zone. Similarly, these fare integration/co-fare/free transfer matters are temporary arrangements for the sole special case of the TYSSE...once Metrolinx's master plan for regional fare integration is out, and once they force all agencies to comply or else, then there'll be a universal set of rules.

Last edited:
The screen was down at Donlands so I was able to take a look at progress this morning.

The gates showed up at Donlands over night. I'd wager they're installed by the end of the week, and then a few days or a week of testing before they're ready for use.

Is the TTC atleast planning on having Presto reload machines within the fare paid area at every station? Learnt the hard way going from Streetcar to Subway they placed the reload machines outside the farepaid area at Union.

Is the TTC atleast planning on having Presto reload machines within the fare paid area at every station? Learnt the hard way going from Streetcar to Subway they placed the reload machines outside the farepaid area at Union.
Once you need to tap out of the subway they will need to provide a way to top-up inside the fare-paid areas - like most other cities.

Back