News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

15, if you want to count the Line 1 segment of Spadina.

Ah, that's your map, right? I've always found that an odd choice--firstly, it's not scheduled as far as I know, but rather unplanned. Secondly, those aren't 2 separate stations...while a longer walk than most others, they are 2 separate entrances for the same station, and many of those don't have presto when another does: Melinda for King, Brookfield for Union, St George for St George, Yonge North of Bloor for Bloor-Yonge, etc.

Ah, that's your map, right? I've always found that an odd choice--firstly, it's not scheduled as far as I know, but rather unplanned. Secondly, those aren't 2 separate stations...while a longer walk than most others, they are 2 separate entrances for the same station, and many of those don't have presto when another does: Melinda for King, Brookfield for Union, St George for St George, Yonge North of Bloor for Bloor-Yonge, etc.

Oh for sure, it's a technicality, absolutely. I just find it to be a bit different than secondary entrances on other stations, only due to the distance and the fact that it's two separate lines.

Oh for sure, it's a technicality, absolutely. I just find it to be a bit different than secondary entrances on other stations, only due to the distance and the fact that it's two separate lines.
By my count, if you were at Spadina and Kendal, with Presto, you have to walk a total of 550 metres south to the Line 2 entrance, and then back north to the south end of the Line 1 platform.

That's over half-a-kilometre. I can't even begin to come close to that at any other TTC station, off-hand.

Last edited:
By my count, if you were at Spadina and Kendal, with Presto, you have to walk a total of 550 metres south to the Line 2 entrance, and then back north to the south end of the Line 1 platform.

That's over half-a-kilometre. I can't even begin to come close to that at any other station, off-hand.

I know a couple interchange stations in Taipei where the distance is that far plus you have to walk up and down several flight of stairs

That's over half-a-kilometre. I can't even begin to come close to that at any other station, off-hand.

I'd be very interested to see usage numbers for the Line 1 portion of Spadina total, and figures for the usage of the Kendal auto entrance/exit. Judging by experience travelling through the station, I don't suspect it's very high. Not that it makes it fine, of course, just that it deserves some consideration. And of course nobody has to make that walk, as tokens are still accepted.

The new fare gates are both slow and flimsy compared to the London Underground.

I'd be very interested to see usage numbers for the Line 1 portion of Spadina total, and figures for the usage of the Kendal auto entrance/exit. Judging by experience travelling through the station, I don't suspect it's very high. Not that it makes it fine, of course, just that it deserves some consideration. And of course nobody has to make that walk, as tokens are still accepted.

I suspect they'd be pretty low. There's no major retail trip generators on that part of Spadina (as opposed to on Bloor itself), and not nearly as many connecting surface routes (the 510 being the big one at the Bloor end). Unless you live closer to that auto entrance, I don't suspect there'd be much reason to ever really use it.

I thought so too. It is nice to have the plexi glass, but the Presto gates lack a certain slickness compared to other cities. Their throughput is probably much lower than a conventional turnstile.

Only one section of them is in place there still is another section to go in place. The wiring and stuff for it is covered with a plywood ramp. I presume that might just have the gates open and powered off well they install the second half of them. I was also at bayview station earlier today and all of the gates are in place at it now. One section is behind a fence and powered on well the other by the collector booth is powered off and has the gates open.

That first set is now powered up, still behind the temp barriers. The remaining gates are still sitting in the corner.

Victoria Park is close. Temp fences are now moved over to where the remaining gates will be installed. You now walk through the new gates to get to the collector booth. Here's hoping we're a day or three away from these ones going live.

there only sort of half finished at this point they are temporally set up to open when someone walks through them eventually you will have to tap a presto card to open them.

They look as sturdy as similar gates anywhere else I have travelled - Britain, the Continent. Surely they are some supplier's off the shelf, out of the catalog model?

Can anyone confirm?

- Paul

The gates are made by Scheidt and Bachmann. I'm not sure if they're actually made in Germany or not, I think they have a plant in the US.

Back