News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

On the other hand, let's not forget that almost every station that received the new fare gates, have other entrances with turnstiles. Those too will need to be replaced. It's going to take quite some time to redo that entire list for the secondary entrances.

Some have already had their second entrances redone. ie. Sherbourne, and many are scheduled/already having their second entrances equipped as we speak.

There were workers at Union station today taking measurements across the turnstiles. If my intuition is correct, we may soon see downtown stations start installing the new fare gates.

I posted this in the Presto card thread but this also good for here.
Start at 1:48 for fare gate action:

This is probably what we need at Union.

This is probably what we need at Union.

I have a strong preference for the Moscow fare gates. They stay open by default and only close if you try to go through without scanning or if the scan fails. The arms are quite strong and very fast but the mechanism is used far less.

Large crowds can move through them very quickly.

I have a strong preference for the Moscow fare gates. They stay open by default and only close if you try to go through without scanning or if the scan fails.

Can the new TTC gates accommodate this mode? Also, what we need isn't stupid PSA statation announcements - what we need to have is reminders for people to have their card ready and not fiddle around for it right at the gate. That, and do not block the gates after egress.

AoD

I have a strong preference for the Moscow fare gates. They stay open by default and only close if you try to go through without scanning or if the scan fails. The arms are quite strong and very fast but the mechanism is used far less.

The gates in the video are open by default and close when you fail to tap your pass. Now for the closed gates, I believe those are either for exiting, people who are using tickets (non-pass, one-trip, non-RFID cards) that need to be inserted, low volume stations or the gate is just not working.

Generally there are electronic signage above or on the fare gates that indicate which ones are for entry (one direction flow) avoiding the mess of cross-cutting flow. I don't think the TTC has thought of that yet or considered assigning say the gates to the left are for entry and the ones to the right are for exit only.

JRCentral-Gotemba-line-Gotemba-station-ticket-gate-20100331.jpg

13_japan_turnstile_train_station_tokyo.png

Looks like the gates are manufactured by Nippon Signal:
http://www.signal.co.jp/english/products/afc.html

Last edited:
As of yesterday morning, Woodbine's gates have been installed in their positions, but not turned on. I suspect that it will be the last of the stations currently being worked on to be activated, as I can't see a way to shut down the fare line like they have at other stations. They have been doing all of the work on the gates overnight up to this point, which leaves them a somewhat smaller window of working opportunity.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back