News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

One not so great thing about the new fare gates is that at unattended entrances/exits, you can be trapped inside the station. Both gates at Dufferin Station Russett Ave. automatic entrance were showing red X and wouldn't open even to exit the station. So out through the emergency exit I went. At least with the old tall revolving door gates you could always get out of the station.

Anyone know what happens to the gates when the power is out? Do they open automatically or lock shut?

Apologies to everyone for misreading the CEO's report upthread. I took the 3.39m trips vs 1.31m from the dashboard which is headed "Current" and "Target", but missed that the 1.31m was in bold, making it not a target but a comparator from 12 months previously. It should have been obvious that if TTC was 250% ahead of any target, the Commission would be putting up billboards and posting youtube ads.

To comment on the prior discussion I think you can pretty generally say that you don't really have legs to stand on when you suggest using an older less efficient technology simply because it restricts you to act a certain way. Freedom + Self Control > Doing it the old way

I am leery of whipping out my credit and debit cards in places like the subway where it may be crowded or you are in motion. Too easy for one to drop the card or have something else fall out of your wallet unnoticed. Toronto is crime-free so far but transit pickpockets do exist. Better to keep one's wallet secured. And there are those who wait til the very last possible moment to reach into their purse or wallet to start hunting for their card....*sigh*

I have always kept my Presto card on its own lanyard a) so I don't lose it and b) so It's easily retrievable when needed. But then I have worked for years in a place where one wears a lanyard for security reasons anyways. It feels naked without it ;-)

- Paul

And there are those who wait til the very last possible moment to reach into their purse or wallet to start hunting for their card....*sigh*

And staying right in the turnstyles to do it, not knowing there is a line behind, nor acknowledging that their purse/wallet is a veritable Bermuda's Triangle. *venting* I think we need separate lines:

1. I have my card in hand already
2. I am 100% sure I have a card, but it's in my purse/wallet and I am going to get it out when I get there and,
3. I have no clue what I am doing. Tap, what's that? Where is the token slot?

AoD

I
I have always kept my Presto card on its own lanyard a) so I don't lose it and b) so It's easily retrievable when needed.

- Paul
It has always seemed to me that the PRESTO cards (and Metropasses) should have a hole punched in them so it is easy to attach to a lanyard. Many would not use it but for those who do (and it's a good idea) it would avoid making a hole in some vital part of the card.

It has always seemed to me that the PRESTO cards (and Metropasses) should have a hole punched in them so it is easy to attach to a lanyard. Many would not use it but for those who do (and it's a good idea) it would avoid making a hole in some vital part of the card.

Or just have a design that mark the place where you can punch a hole without damaging it.

AoD

One not so great thing about the new fare gates is that at unattended entrances/exits, you can be trapped inside the station. Both gates at Dufferin Station Russett Ave. automatic entrance were showing red X and wouldn't open even to exit the station. So out through the emergency exit I went. At least with the old tall revolving door gates you could always get out of the station.

Anyone know what happens to the gates when the power is out? Do they open automatically or lock shut?

Which is why the TTC is busy installing/constructing a second exit. So that you will have TWO exits. Failing that, one could just board the train to use the next station.

Sounds like you'll be calling 911 should the escalator fail as you ride up it.

offset_399716.jpg

"Hello 911? The escalator I'm on, has stopped and I'm stuck. Send a fire truck to get me off it!!"

Typical UT snarky answer to a simple question about how the new gates function in the event of a power failure. The community here is always so welcoming.

The question remains: What happens in the event of a power failure? Do the new Presto gates unlock when unpowered?

Typical UT snarky answer to a simple question about how the new gates function in the event of a power failure. The community here is always so welcoming.

The question remains: What happens in the event of a power failure? Do the new PRESTO gates unlock when unpowered?

It's a good question and since locking people in if there is a power failure would be scandalous, one would hope that the gates unlock, or have batteries that open them if the line voltage goes to ground - power outage, or other power interruption.

I am a fan of the fare gates and I loathe the turnstiles, but this discussion points out that as technology advances and more 'things' in life are powered, that when the electrical power is missing, life really does grind to a halt. Older mechanical systems are - well - older, but immune to this finickiness.

And staying right in the turnstyles to do it, not knowing there is a line behind, nor acknowledging that their purse/wallet is a veritable Bermuda's Triangle. *venting* I think we need separate lines:

1. I have my card in hand already
2. I am 100% sure I have a card, but it's in my purse/wallet and I am going to get it out when I get there and,
3. I have no clue what I am doing. Tap, what's that? Where is the token slot?

AoD
ugh I hate those people too the worst are the ones that stand aside well someone else is purchasing tickets and they don't realize they are blocking the gate that you want to use or the only one you can use in some cases.

Last edited:
ugh I hate those poel too the worst are the ones that stand aside well someone else is purchasing tickets and they don't realize they are blocking the gate that you want to use or the only one you can use in some cases.
Just curious, but why do you use "poel" and not people?

Back