News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's what your smartphone or tablet substitutes or predicts when you start to type 'people'. I catch mine doing the same thing all the time

- Paul

Typical UT snarky answer to a simple question about how the new gates function in the event of a power failure. The community here is always so welcoming.

The question remains: What happens in the event of a power failure? Do the new Presto gates unlock when unpowered?

Not sure about the ones TTC installed (details from vendor: https://www.scheidt-bachmann.de/fil...n-systems/FareGo/Flyer_FareGo_Gate_PG40_E.pdf) but open by default upon power failure is what looks like a standard practice:

https://www.thalesgroup.com/sites/default/files/asset/document/gate_a.pdf

On the other hand, there have been examples of other types of failure locking riders in:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2613736/t...e-fare-gate-failure-ahead-of-mondays-closure/

AoD

What happens in the event of a power failure? Do the new Presto gates unlock when unpowered?

I don't think there's any source for this, but there's absolutely no chance that they wouldn't unlock. If they didn't and there was a disaster, a lot of people who designed, worked on and bought the fare gates would be getting jail time.

I don't think there's any source for this, but there's absolutely no chance that they wouldn't unlock. If they didn't and there was a disaster, a lot of people who designed, worked on and bought the fare gates would be getting jail time.
Yes, I am sure you are right. The default for electrically controlled doors is that the UNLOCK if power goes out. In Building and Fire Codes for 'magnetic' fire doors for example.

Or just climb over.

May not as easy as you might think if there is an actual fire and a crowd trying to exit. You're more likely to get pinned against it and be unable to pull yourself up. Of course, the gate arms would likely break off pretty quickly.

From the Star:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/01/17/failing-presto-fare-gates-frustrate-passengers.html

And why are users pushing on them, I wonder? Translucency isn't the issue as the old turnstyles are for all practical intents and purposes transparent.

AoD

The picture and caption on that article are absurd. It states "the gate wouldn't open even though it showed him a green arrow suggesting he could proceed"...all of the gates generally have that arrow, it means the gate is functional/configured for passengers to pass in that direction.

Secondly, he is clearly holding a Metropass, not a Presto card, to the reader.

I'd expect this out of a 3 year old's blog, not the Toronto Star. Well, maybe I should, from now on...pathetic.

From the Star:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/01/17/failing-presto-fare-gates-frustrate-passengers.html

And why are users pushing on them, I wonder? Translucency isn't the issue as the old turnstyles are for all practical intents and purposes transparent.

AoD

Why are people pushing? Because they have them timed for dawdling people. I made a comment elsewhere that in Hong Kong, escalators, elevators and fare gates snap open and then snap shut. Here if you walk fast - I do - you can collide with a fare gate timed to open for a sloth. I have put my hand on the plexi too. It didn't swing quickly enough.

Why are people pushing? Because they have them timed for dawdling people. I made a comment elsewhere that in Hong Kong, escalators, elevators and fare gates snap open and then snap shut. Here if you walk fast - I do - you can collide with a fare gate timed to open for a sloth. I have put my hand on the plexi too. It didn't swing quickly enough.

Precisely. First, they ignored the general tendency to push and tap at the old turnstyles; second, the delay is unnecessarily long.

AoD

The gates don't always fail if you push on them sometimes after tapping they just don't open then you try the other gates but now you get a card declined message you ask the booth collector for help he tells me to that I have to pay to get through and says that there was something wrong with the card or my card was empty even though I used it 1 hr before and I had over $25 on it. Fortunately I didn't pay and I went through the gate, tried the presto card on another station it worked. Got my money back after emailing brad Ross who had someone look into it and saw that the new presto gates malfunctioned. This happened at the Lawrence West station. The good thing know it they put the refund back on the presto card instead of sending you a token

I think they are fixing the timing. I noticed the gates at Sherbourne opened a lot faster yesterday. I didn't have to wait like I was used to. Then again, I also noticed most of the gates at Sherbourne now say "Please Wait" on them and don't change. They still open when you try to exit, but it's confusing a lot of people who struggle to find a way out when all the gates say do not enter or please wait.

As an aside:

In Paris they have fancy gates that slide open when you enter your ticket.

Unbeknownst to me they also have a different kind which involve a standard turnstile followed by a vertical flap. I put my ticket in and was expecting the thing to open, but it didn't. So I tried again but eventually my ticket became invalid because I had already used it.

I realized my first try actually was valid and I was to push my way through the turnstile and the flap. I guess the flap is just there to prevent people from jumping over.

I think they are fixing the timing. I noticed the gates at Sherbourne opened a lot faster yesterday. I didn't have to wait like I was used to. Then again, I also noticed most of the gates at Sherbourne now say "Please Wait" on them and don't change. They still open when you try to exit, but it's confusing a lot of people who struggle to find a way out when all the gates say do not enter or please wait.

Oh lord. It maybe useful in preventing pushing related breakdowns, but how crude a "solution" is that.

On the other hand, it is exactly the kind of solution TTC would select.

AoD

Back