News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

what other cities have this unit in use? i wonder how their performance is vs ours? maybe its because that ttc riders were used to getting phyisical with the turnstyles and are just not used to the etiquite of gates.
the supplier probably didnt factor ttc specific rider entrance tendancies.
From the looks of their website the TTC probably chose one that would best fit within the existing fare lines, as not many stations have the luxury of being completely rebuilt from the ground up to install a new fare gate. Most of the old ones that were removed, were either from the 80's or older as far back as the 60's. The ones that they jury-rigged Presto readers onto were only meant to be temporary until they could find something better to replace all of the fare gates with. Don't forget the TTC is in a different position then the other transit systems that switched to Preto already they have had to switch to it well having it live because of poele coming into the TTC via other transit systems where they have already been using it and they don't all need the crowd control the TTC does.

Last edited:
I guess you have never used on directly behind someone if you tap right after somoen the gate doesn't close enough between the two taps to cause a deyla. Most prpblems I see with the new fare gates on a day to day basis are human related like people taping in the wrong place or satnding in the path of the sensors and trying to tap.
Not just in terms of delay, but leaving the gates open as default also means less wear and tear on the motors.
(given the percentage of paying passengers probably outnumbers the non-paying ones by large margin)

Not just in terms of delay, but leaving the gates open as default also means less wear and tear on the motors.
(given the percentage of paying passengers probably outnumbers the non-paying ones by large margin)
Well...if non paying riders outnumber paying riders or the margin is close we have a SERIOUS problem haha

From the looks of their website the TTC probably chose one that would best fit within the existing fare lines, as not many stations have the luxury of being completely rebuilt from the ground up to install a new fare gate. Most of the old ones that were removed, were either from the 80's or older as far back as the 60's. The ones that they jury-rigged Preto readers onto were only meant to be temporary until they could find something better to replace all of the fare gates with. Don't forget the TTC is in a different position then the other transit systems that switched to already they ahve had to switch to it lwell having it live beicse of poel conming into the TTv via other trnsit sytms wer poel have alredy been using it andthey don't all need the crowd control the TTC does
I'll be honest, I'm having a hard time comprehending what the last couple sentences are saying...

what other cities have this unit in use? i wonder how their performance is vs ours? maybe its because that ttc riders were used to getting phyisical with the turnstyles and are just not used to the etiquite of gates.
the supplier probably didnt factor ttc specific rider entrance tendancies.

I've been trying to figure out which other cities actually use the gates. We do in Ottawa, and the Tynne and Wear metro in Newcastle UK uses the same model but I can't find any other examples online. Nothing on the scale of Toronto, and both Ottawa and Newcastle were POP before installing the gates so riders didn't have any previous expectation.

I guess you have never used on directly behind someone if you tap right after somoen the gate doesn't close enough between the two taps to cause a deyla. Most prpblems I see with the new fare gates on a day to day basis are human related like people taping in the wrong place or satnding in the path of the sensors and trying to tap.
I have tapped fast enough that doors never begin closing -- it lets two people through.

Aslo, at GO stations:
The GO readers lets people tap even while the lights is still lit from the previous tap. So they can take about 2 taps per new presto card per second if people didn't bother waiting for the green light to go out first.

The TTC readers seem to also behave similarly, they can go into tap-surplus mode and let the correct count of people through. So this works: 2 persons tap, tap (two different Presto cards), then 2 person walk, walk through. Whoosh, whoosh. It seems to keep counter count. Don't bother waiting.

Feedback improvemets should be made so that people are encouraged to keep tapping. The only way people discover that continuous tapping works by watching it in action (two other people tapping right after each other quickly)

I think the biggest problem the TTC has with Preto now is getting everyone that hasn't converted over to it to do so. If you go to any Presto or Metrolinx facebook post the majority of the comments are from people that are making accusations about them stealing money from them or about how they shouldn't charge people on the TTC $6 to get a Presto card. I even saw a post from someone that wants them to have a new Presto card every month just for the TTC with a different design on it so she can keep paying cash. Ther are also people that don't understand that the minimum you can put on a Presto card is $10 and they are getting mad at Metrolinx for not letting them pay only $5.

I think the biggest problem the TTC has with Preto now is getting everyone that hasn't converted over to it to do so. If you go to any Presto or Metrolinx facebook post the majority of the comments are from people that are making accusations about them stealing money from them or about how they shouldn't charge people on the TTC $6 to get a Presto card. I even saw a post from someone that wants them to have a new Presto card every month just for the TTC with a different design on it so she can keep paying cash. Ther are also people that don't understand that the minimum you can put on a Presto card is $10 and they are getting mad at Metrolinx for not letting them pay only $5.
Is there going to be a transitional period where legacy fare media is still accepted but no longer sold?

Is there going to be a transitional period where legacy fare media is still accepted but no longer sold?
I believe that's the current plan. As of now, they are mostly trying to get Metropass holders and the people that have the monthly plan to convert over to it now. Student and Post Secondary Metropass are supposed to be made available in the fall on it. I believe that they are aming for no longer selling Tickets and tokens by the end of this year

Of course. Are they going to sell and accept tokens at 4:59:59 AM on Sunday December 16th 2018, and stop selling and accepting them at 5:00:00 AM?

What do you think? What have they done with changes in tokens and tickets for nany years. What happened when design of bank notes changed? You might wonder how long any transfer oeriod will last not if there will be a transfer period. At some point they will remove token slots but it will certainly taje several weekx or months before you can't spend them.

What do you think? What have they done with changes in tokens and tickets for nany years. What happened when design of bank notes changed? You might wonder how long any transfer oeriod will last not if there will be a transfer period. At some point they will remove token slots but it will certainly taje several weekx or months before you can't spend them.

The transition period in Ottawa was 10 months. They stopped selling paper tickets at the beginning of last year, but kept accepting them as valid until November. Non-presto passes was only a month to convert. They stopped them last June. I would imagine it'd be similar timeframes for the TTC.

What's the ratio of presto to non presto users though? It was already like 90% presto in Ottawa when they finally forced the laggards off.

Reactions: DSC
The transition period in Ottawa was 10 months. They stopped selling paper tickets at the beginning of last year, but kept accepting them as valid until November. Non-presto passes was only a month to convert. They stopped them last June. I would imagine it'd be similar timeframes for the TTC.

What's the ratio of presto to non presto users though? It was already like 90% presto in Ottawa when they finally forced the laggards off.
I think it was mentioned that the TTC is ~15% Presto. I could be wrong though.

Back