News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Drug making and smuggling results in death primarily due to the illegal nature of it. There's a reason why organized crime is against legalization. Legalize it, and most of that disappears. It will likely move on to something else, but, that's a problem for another day.

And if we're worried about death, let's make smoking and drinking alcohol illegal. I wonder if there's any historical precedence to how that worked out.
I'm skeptical merely legalizing it will help matters.

That being said, the worst drug by far and away was always alcohol. I do agree there's a significant double standard outlawing the others, but allowing booze.

For the currently illegal substances, we would probably need a significant suite of measures to accompany legalization. Worth a look, but I do think the original statement is much too bold.

April 27
52873133685_4fdbdcef4b_b.jpg

52872755386_f94ef6063b_b.jpg

I can see this for the guard, not for the driver at a lost of 4 seats
52872176132_a394b480f7_b.jpg

Looks like either one up/down or 2 up or down at the north end
52872754986_541d34d9dc_b.jpg

52873195188_f3c8cfed09_b.jpg

52872755101_4ee70c4374_b.jpg

52872755181_dc475f258a_b.jpg

52873133985_2e93b58aa8_b.jpg

52872176037_c3e71d2fcf_b.jpg

Honestly, I am not surprised anymore.

There are days where I get on the train and there is someone sleeping smelling like feces, urine, garbage and dead cigarettes. These people are huddled on the seats sleeping with all their belongings causing a wide area of a car to become uninhabitable.

I HOPE that something is done about this by whoever gets elected as Mayor. Failing that, we need to do what New York did and make homelessness quasi-illegal.

Honestly, I am not surprised anymore.

There are days where I get on the train and there is someone sleeping smelling like feces, urine, garbage and dead cigarettes. These people are huddled on the seats sleeping with all their belongings causing a wide area of a car to become uninhabitable.

I HOPE that something is done about this by whoever gets elected as Mayor. Failing that, we need to do what New York did and make homelessness quasi-illegal.
In the past, you find the odd rider doing this, but common to see at least one or more on trains theses days. There are 2 in that 2nd photo with one sitting up sleeping.

You will find them on buses and streetcars as well. Even buses outside of Toronto.

Funny, whatever New York did didn't stop me from seeing a homeless sleeper on literally every single car of a 1 train on a Sunday morning in November....

The thought of making homelessness illegal or "quasi-illegal", whatever that means, is a populist soundbite with no basis in reality that appeals to dime store authoritarians. If you want the problem to get better, you need a rich mental health and addiction support system, affordable housing, and jobs that pay a livable wage. All things these fascists do not want because it would cost them more of their previous tax dollars or because it goes against their notions of pulling oneself up by the boot straps.

he thought of making homelessness illegal or "quasi-illegal", whatever that means, is a populist soundbite with no basis in reality that appeals to dime store authoritarians.

NYC passed a variety of laws which made aspects of homelessness illegal. In effect, being homeless was illegal without being illegal.

NYC passed a variety of laws which made aspects of homelessness illegal. In effect, being homeless was illegal without being illegal.
Don’t ignore the rest of the post. Criminalizing homelessness and mental health, aside from being incredibly cruel, does jack sh*t to fix the problem.

Last edited:
Don’t ignore the rest of the post. Criminalizing homelessness and mental health, aside from being incredibly cruel, does jack sh*t to fix the problem.
Also fiscally absurd. The cost of putting the homeless into hotels is less than the cost of imprisoning them.

Reactions: PL1
This coming to Council next week:

MM6.17 - Reducing Toronto Transit Commission Vehicle Delays for Streetcar and RapidTO Routes - by Councillor Chris Moise, seconded by Councillor Jon Burnside​

Notice of Motion
Consideration Type: ACTIONWards: All
Attention
* Notice of this Motion has been given.
* This Motion is subject to referral to the Infrastructure and Environment Committee. A two-thirds vote is required to waive referral.

Recommendations​

Councillor Chris Moise, seconded by Councillor Jon Burnside, recommends that:

1. City Council direct the General Manager, Transportation Services , in consultation with the Chief Executive Officer, Toronto Transit Commission, to review opportunities to introduce or extend left turn prohibitions at appropriate intersections, or alternatively introduce advanced exclusive left turn phases at signalized intersections, in order to reduce the delays to streetcar and RapidTO services, and report back by the fourth quarter of 2023.

Summary​

In recent months, Toronto has experienced an increased level of traffic gridlock. This does not only impact motor vehicles, but also other modes of transportation, especially public transportation.

It is important to attract riders back onto the TTC and our vast public network. Not only will this reduce the number of vehicles on the road, but it would encourage a wider array of transit options for commuters. Gridlock can be reduced and improved without major street reconstructions.

It is important for City Council to regularly study how traffic and public transportation can be improved in Toronto. With the introduction and potential future expansion of the RapidTO program, as well as increasing downtown gridlock, now is the time to explore solutions to reduce public transit delays while also improving the quality of service for our riders.

Background Information​

Member Motion MM6.17

You will find them on buses and streetcars as well. Even buses outside of Toronto.

Yep. I live out in suburban hell, it's only been the last year so the homeless population has expanded into the burbs. I have seen encampments pop up in wooded area's and under overpasses. Where before you would only see homeless people and encampments in the downtown area.

This coming to Council next week:

MM6.17 - Reducing Toronto Transit Commission Vehicle Delays for Streetcar and RapidTO Routes - by Councillor Chris Moise, seconded by Councillor Jon Burnside​

Notice of Motion
Consideration Type: ACTIONWards: All
Attention
* Notice of this Motion has been given.
* This Motion is subject to referral to the Infrastructure and Environment Committee. A two-thirds vote is required to waive referral.

Recommendations​

Councillor Chris Moise, seconded by Councillor Jon Burnside, recommends that:

1. City Council direct the General Manager, Transportation Services , in consultation with the Chief Executive Officer, Toronto Transit Commission, to review opportunities to introduce or extend left turn prohibitions at appropriate intersections, or alternatively introduce advanced exclusive left turn phases at signalized intersections, in order to reduce the delays to streetcar and RapidTO services, and report back by the fourth quarter of 2023.

Summary​

In recent months, Toronto has experienced an increased level of traffic gridlock. This does not only impact motor vehicles, but also other modes of transportation, especially public transportation.

It is important to attract riders back onto the TTC and our vast public network. Not only will this reduce the number of vehicles on the road, but it would encourage a wider array of transit options for commuters. Gridlock can be reduced and improved without major street reconstructions.

It is important for City Council to regularly study how traffic and public transportation can be improved in Toronto. With the introduction and potential future expansion of the RapidTO program, as well as increasing downtown gridlock, now is the time to explore solutions to reduce public transit delays while also improving the quality of service for our riders.

Background Information​

Member Motion MM6.17
How about REAL transit priority at traffic signals, like along St. Clair, Spadina, The Queensway, and soon Eglinton Avenue East & Finch Avenue West. Let the left turning vehicles wait for the rail vehicles to get to the farside platforms first.

Yep. I live out in suburban hell, it's only been the last year so the homeless population has expanded into the burbs. I have seen encampments pop up in wooded area's and under overpasses. Where before you would only see homeless people and encampments in the downtown area.
Interesting, I was seeing beggars at left turn lanes and highway ramps 2-3 years before covid.

Interesting, I was seeing beggars at left turn lanes and highway ramps 2-3 years before covid.
You will run into them at the 401/400/QEW/DVP off ramps considering how dangerous some of them are. More today then 10 years ago.

Sadly, some husbands are sending their wife and kids to these ramps or turning lanes.

Back