News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Enlighten us please. What are they doing?
Beam replacement for the last decade apparently?

Just like the queen streetcar seems to needs multiple 2 year closures to fix 300M stretches. To be fair a late opening is better than a weekend closure.

10 years is pretty long feels like make work at some point
Why? It is not uncommon to phase major projects over multiple years, would you rather they had closed the Viaduct for many months 10 years ago and replaced all the beams at one time, even though most could have lasted a decade more?

Why? It is not uncommon to phase major projects over multiple years, would you rather they had closed the Viaduct for many months 10 years ago and replaced all the beams at one time, even though most could have lasted a decade more?
I was critiquing TTC construction planning in general. There is a lot of scatter brain going on. I remember there was an audit they rented some cars for over a decade etc
There is a ton of disorganization that helps nobody

I was critiquing TTC construction planning in general. There is a lot of scatter brain going on. I remember there was an audit they rented some cars for over a decade etc
There is a ton of disorganization that helps nobody
Yes, I agree that the TTC is not well run but phasing major reno projects seems a common and sensible thing to do.

Reactions: T3G
The suburban anti-transit councillors are doing their job...

F1zgN8TWcAAz8H5

From link.

The suburban anti-transit councillors are doing their job...

F1zgN8TWcAAz8H5

From link.
Why do you keep seeing statistics and attributing malice randomly? Right off the bat I'm noticing a trend with population density.

Every time I see a thread about the 401 or 400 adding lanes people scream we shouldn't do it! put money into the go. We should put money into the go but realistically once you get somewhere like Innisfail or Bowmanville are you really expecting transit to be a realistic solution once you're dropped at a station 15km away from where you're going?

Why do you keep seeing statistics and attributing malice randomly? Right off the bat I'm noticing a trend with population density.

Every time I see a thread about the 401 or 400 adding lanes people scream we shouldn't do it! put money into the go. We should put money into the go but realistically once you get somewhere like Innisfail or Bowmanville are you really expecting transit to be a realistic solution once you're dropped at a station 15km away from where you're going?

The malice is in the planning. Adding additional lanes is a solution to a problem created by poor planning. Innisfil and Bowmanville should have good transit coverage for you when you get off the train, for example. Obviously that does not exist, and would take a complete 180 and rethink how we plan these communities, but, we should start somewhere.

The malice is in the planning. Adding additional lanes is a solution to a problem created by poor planning. Innisfil and Bowmanville should have good transit coverage for you when you get off the train, for example. Obviously that does not exist, and would take a complete 180 and rethink how we plan these communities, but, we should start somewhere.
You realistically cannot have good transit when everyone has a backyard and a 50 foot wide lot! What are you going to do? have a bus for every street? Anything with a reasonable walk for most people would have a poor frequency!
We can replan for future communities but we can't really do anything for what's been built.

I work with a lot of older folks, they'd rather sit in traffic than CONSIDER riding a bus. "it's only for drunks and poors" is the phrase I hear often. This isn't everyone but especially with the safety issues lately tons of people are never getting out of their cars even with japan level transit

The additional lanes are for expansion considering the next 40 years btw. Should we abandon planning for trucking and etc?

You realistically cannot have good transit when everyone has a backyard and a 50 foot wide lot! What are you going to do? have a bus for every street? Anything with a reasonable walk for most people would have a poor frequency!
We can replan for future communities but we can't really do anything for what's been built.

I work with a lot of older folks, they'd rather sit in traffic than CONSIDER riding a bus. "it's only for drunks and poors" is the phrase I hear often. This isn't everyone but especially with the safety issues lately tons of people are never getting out of their cars even with japan level transit

The additional lanes are for expansion considering the next 40 years btw. Should we abandon planning for trucking and etc?
Replacing the shopping mall parking lots with parks, schools, and residential high-density would be a start. Replace the parking lots with mixed-use high-density would mean more walkable neighbourhoods.

I think we can walk and chew gum. There are many "building block" type improvements which, if implemented at scale in the suburbs, would make a difference. Things like:

Higher bus frequencies and well appointed stops. Zum is already doing this quite well and their modal share has grown. And we all know how well Toronto's bus network does for ridership. When done well, transit can make significant inroads and generate net new ridership, even in the suburbs.

Other tactical improvements would be buying up lots here and there to add protected bike lanes, widen sidewalks, build connections through previously impervious suburban street layouts, add bus queue jump lanes.

Yes, all these changes require extra capital and operational funding, and ongoing care and attention to detail.

Upzoning the suburbs for multiplex and midrise would help, as would eliminating parking minimums and requiring more bike parking.

We could also require all new development to include provisions for public transit, biking and walking: suburban office parks don't have to be hellholes.

I do think there is an upper limit to how urban many places can become. And I've got severe doubts about our ability to design, build and maintain all this infrastructure. But we're so far from having exhausted all opportunities for improvements that it makes no sense to throw hands up in defeat.

Replacing the shopping mall parking lots with parks, schools, and residential high-density would be a start. Replace the parking lots with mixed-use high-density would mean more walkable neighbourhoods.
Dude I don't want to live outside woodbine mall. I've seen some condos built in lots and speaking to residents it sucks since it wasn't built like that from the ground up.
Like somewhere like city place I'd be ok with BUT everyone absolutely hates being there, especially the traffic despite most people being WFH or able to walk to work.

10 years is pretty long feels like make work at some point
Perhaps, if you don't understand what a beam is in this context.

What they are replacing is the track beams - the concrete "panels" that the tracks run on. And because of their design and the fact that they have a finite lifespan, they are basically a consumable good.

And there are over 200 of them on the bridge. With a limited ability to work on them, it means that each of the 15 or so chances a year they get to replace one, they replace one.

Dan

Back