News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

TTC, City improving Line 3 Scarborough bus shuttle routes as train service set to permanently end

August 24, 2023

The TTC and the City of Toronto are taking steps to improve the Line 3 Scarborough RT bus replacement service in advance of back-to-school in September. The TTC is also confirming train service on Line 3, originally scheduled to end on Nov. 18, will not restart following a July 24 derailment.

Service on Line 3 was suspended following the derailment south of Ellesmere Station and replaced with frequent shuttle bus service. A comprehensive review, that includes the participation of industry-leading consultants, is still underway. However, given the time required to complete the review, the decision has been made to permanently close the line and begin to implement elements of the replacement plan. These measures will improve transit priority and operations, provide frequent, high-capacity bus service and ensure customers can plan their trips online in September.

Starting Aug. 22, TTC contractors, working with the City of Toronto Transportation Services department, began the installation of temporary road markings and signage to establish bus-only lanes. One curb lane southbound on Midland Ave. and one northbound on Kennedy Rd between Eglinton Ave. and Ellesmere Rd will be created. The new shuttle routing will be implemented this coming weekend (August 26).

“It is essential to provide safe, reliable transit along this route, and that’s what the City and TTC staff are doing,” said Mayor Olivia Chow. “The people of Scarborough deserve better. They need reliable and convenient transit while we wait for the Scarborough subway to open. The sooner we can have transit priority and a dedicated busway in place, the better it will be for the tens of thousands of people who normally rely on Line 3.”

“I want to thank TTC and City staff for recognizing the urgency of this matter and taking the necessary steps to ensure that the commute for Scarborough transit riders is as efficient as possible, especially as we prepare to enter the back-to-school season,” said TTC Chair Jamaal Myers (Ward 23, Scarborough North). “Working together to improve the customer experience on the Scarborough RT bus replacement service is what transit riders expect and what they deserve.”

“I’m pleased to support these plans, ensuring Scarborough residents have frequent and safe service without trains operating on Line 3,” said Councillor Michael Thompson (Ward 21, Scarborough Centre). “I have consulted with the community and staff on these plans and I believe what is being put in place provides the best temporary service until the busway can be built over the next couple of years.”

“We recognize the urgency in having this plan ready to go,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “With the support of our Board and City Council, we will have more pieces of our replacement plan ready to go sooner than planned.”

TTC and City of Toronto staff had already been working toward a Nov. 19 start for the full bus replacement of the 6.4 kilometre SRT before the derailment occurred. Line 3 moves approximately 30,000 trips a day.

The November replacement plan includes running frequent express shuttle bus service between Scarborough Centre and Kennedy stations southbound via Midland Avenue and northbound via Kennedy Road.

Other features such as red painted lanes, new queue-jump lanes and signal priority to allow buses quicker movement through mixed traffic will be rolled out over the next three months. Changes to the bus terminal at Scarborough Centre Station to accommodate Line 3 bus replacement were also completed ahead of schedule.

The TTC and City are now exploring ways to advance the on-street improvements while also creating a temporary bus staging area on the north side of Kennedy Station to relieve congestion at the busy station while construction on the new bus terminal continues.
So I guess there won't be any farewell rides either since it is unsafe. So do we know the cause?

TTC to announce fall service increases

August 27, 2023

Tomorrow, Mayor Olivia Chow, TTC Board Chair Jamaal Myers, and TTC CEO Rick Leary, will outline how the TTC will increase service beginning September and into the fall.

Date: Monday, August 28, 2023

Time: Remarks at 10:30 a.m.
A media availability will follow.

290 Borough Drive
Scarborough, ON. M1P 4P5

Anyone know if the work on Broadview is on schedule? I need that 504 running again to make my life a lot easier. Or at least buses.

Anyone know if the work on Broadview is on schedule? I need that 504 running again to make my life a lot easier. Or at least buses.
I was there about a week ago and the new track was installed from Gerrard up to the Loblaws (in one state or another) and they were obviously about to remove the old track from the Loblaws to Danforth (and it appeared to be done north of it.). That's not to say it is moving faster than planned but it IS moving - faster than I had expected.

TTC increasing service as more customers return to transit
20230828023453_Fall 2023 Service Changes.jpg
20230828023453_Fall 2023 Service Changes.jpg

August 28, 2023

The TTC is increasing service as it prepares to welcome back more customers, with the new school year beginning next week and more people returning to in-office work after Labour Day.

From Tues., Sept. 5, the TTC will be restoring 126 school trips for elementary and secondary schools, and will be increasing frequency on nine routes that serve post secondary institutions.

Additionally, the TTC is increasing regular service hours in September to 93 per cent of pre-pandemic levels, and further increasing service to 95 per cent by November, with bus service at 99 per cent of pre-pandemic levels.

“More TTC service means more room on board, shorter wait times, and better reliability for all transit users,” said Mayor Olivia Chow. “By reinvesting some of the $60 million originally budgeted to operate Line 5, there will be 280,000 weekly customer trips with scheduled service improvements by November, with service almost back to pre-pandemic levels. Most of this investment will be in the bus network, where we know demand is greatest.”

“I want to thank TTC staff for seizing the opportunity by using underspent Line 5 funds in improving transit services,” said TTC Chair Jamaal Myers. “A large percentage of the improvements to bus services will benefit transit users in Scarborough, where better transit is desperately needed. By November, more Scarborough transit users will have a direct bus route to the subway, without needing to transfer to other buses.”

“I welcome the service increases that the TTC is implementing in September,” said Councillor Michael Thompson (Ward 21, Scarborough Centre). “I am also pleased that the TTC has completed upgrades to the bus terminal at Scarborough Centre Station ahead of schedule, in time for the start of the new school year. The additional bus capacity means regular routes can return, making transit between Centennial College and Scarborough Centre Station faster and more reliable.”

Starting Sun., Sept. 3, and continuing into the fall, the TTC is:

• Making more room on board buses, by increasing service based on ridership demand, and adding capacity on specific trips to address overcrowding.
• Shortening wait times by improving the bus Ten Minute Network.
• 41 time periods across the day with reduced wait times, 27 of those time periods will either return to pre-pandemic levels or be better than they were before.
• Improving reliability with more unscheduled, demand-responsive service.

“We know how important it is that we make this return to school and work as smooth as possible for our customers, by providing safe, reliable and frequent transit service when, and where, it is needed most,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “With tremendous support from the TTC Board, we are working harder than ever to improve service levels across our bus, subway and streetcar network.”

Back