News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

This gets me thinking about the SOGR work on the system.

If the bolts on Line 3 were in such bad shape that it derailed, I wonder what the rest of the system is like. I wonder if the TTC is doing what they did in the 90s and deferring maintenance to save money.

This has the makings of another Russell Hill all over it.

If I remember correctly, Steve Munro estimated deferred SOGR spending to be something like $30 billion over the next 10-15 years.

Shame this was not found sooner. They could have kept it in service more than likely

I suspect not. How many other power rail bolts were at/beyond end of life, and what would be the cost of making that determination and then replacing all of those affected? How long would it take versus the scheduled end of service date? I doubt the juice would have been worth the squeeze.

Reactions: JBR
I suspect not. How many other power rail bolts were at/beyond end of life, and what would be the cost of making that determination and then replacing all of those affected? How long would it take versus the scheduled end of service date? I doubt the juice would have been worth the squeeze.
Meanwhile Vancouver has a MUCH bigger system, with much more frequent service and I haven't heard of this happening.

Meanwhile Vancouver has a MUCH bigger system, with much more frequent service and I haven't heard of this happening.

This is a cost thing.

The TTC is going broke and cannot afford SOGR repair. The system is crumbling and we are now seeing the effects of deferred maintenance.

I would not be surprised to see major parts of the system shut down in the near future due to lack of funds.

This is a cost thing.

The TTC is going broke and cannot afford SOGR repair. The system is crumbling and we are now seeing the effects of deferred maintenance.

I would not be surprised to see major parts of the system shut down in the near future due to lack of funds.
Speaking of, I took a stroll down Adelaide yesterday. The whole street was re-done minus the streetcar tracks. Cars were basically stopping to avoid a sunken drain. This reminds me of the 501 line on the west end where it's effectively been permanently closed the last decade yet there are tons of sections of concrete base that are cracked, sunken or otherwise damaged.

road.jpg

Speaking of, I took a stroll down Adelaide yesterday. The whole street was re-done minus the streetcar tracks. Cars were basically stopping to avoid a sunken drain. This reminds me of the 501 line on the west end where it's effectively been permanently closed the last decade yet there are tons of sections of concrete base that are cracked, sunken or otherwise damaged.

View attachment 509535

The sad part is this will not get fixed until something happens.

View attachment 509535
This is the kind of thing you should report to 311 with the photo. Though UTers love to see examples of City or TTC problems, we cannot actually solve them. 311 MIGHT be able to get it fixed.

This is the kind of thing you should report to 311 with the photo. Though UTers love to see examples of City or TTC problems, we cannot actually solve them. 311 MIGHT be able to get it fixed.
LOL, I reported a curb missing for 4 years in my area, nothing was done (along with several other issues) I have faith for small things but anything that isn't a 10 min fix usually goes unresolved.

LOL, I reported a curb missing for 4 years in my area, nothing was done (along with several other issues) I have faith for small things but anything that isn't a 10 min fix usually goes unresolved.
I agree that just reporting something does not guarantee a repair but 311 DOES get action quite often and noting problems on UT is not likely to result in any action.

I agree that just reporting something does not guarantee a repair but 311 DOES get action quite often and noting problems on UT is not likely to result in any action.
I know, I mentioned my displeasure a while ago with the lack of repairs on the 501 queen route despite years of closures for repairs. I'm going to try and post photos if I see something stand out!

Every so often we have a flurry of discussion here on why the TTC should, or should not, have streetcar tracks in grass. Here are two recent examples from Europe: one from Milan and one from Nice. Unfortunately, I suspect that if the TTC were involved we would end up like Milan but WT and TTC are, supposedly, going to experiment with grass on the new track that is (one day!) coming to the new Cherry south of QQE.

IMG_1938.JPG

and
IMG_1955.JPG

The TMSF is interesting, the only site that jumps out at me as feasible is south of Langstaff GO.
34 trains is huge that's over 200 cars! I really think the Sheppard West to Wilson yard option is compelling. It allows trains to serve Yonge North, and provides for much improved service as well.

Back