News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Saw a T1 with new LED headlights this morning on Line 2. Just a new part, or part of a broader refurb?

They've been retrofitting LEDs into cars over the past 4 or 5 years as the different lights and components fail. A number of cars have full or partial LED interior lighting, for instance.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I really don't like the blueish LED lighting in the T1. They should use whatever is used in the TR.

LED's come in different colour temperatures. This is measured in degrees Kelvin.

color-temp-chart.jpg
colour-temperature-chart.png

The old incandescent light bulbs were around 2,700K.

KelvinsType
1,000KCandlelight Red/YellowVery Warm
2700KConventional Lamp - YellowWarm
3000K Warm White
4000KHalogen/CFL - BlueWhite
5000KCool White
6000KDaylight
10,000KBlue Sky - BlueVery Cool

Because the trains are going outdoors, they'll want the headlights to cast the same colour temperature in the tunnels as the daylight outdoors.

Try comparing navy blue socks and black socks under the old incandescent light bulbs at night and the daylight shining through a window.

Attachments

• color-temp-chart.jpg
    color-temp-chart.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 530
  • colour-temperature-chart.png
    colour-temperature-chart.png
    24 KB · Views: 636
Last edited:
Don't forget that Kelvins are not in degrees, unlike Celsius or Fahrenheit.

Actually, Kelvin is degrees from absolute zero. A Celsius degree is equal to a Kelvin degree in magnitude. See link.

The kelvin is often used in the measure of the colour temperature of light sources. Colour temperature is based upon the principle that a black body radiator emits light of which the colour depends on the temperature of the radiator. Black bodies with temperatures below about 4000 K appear reddish whereas those above about 7500 K appear bluish. Colour temperature is important in the fields of image projection and photography where a colour temperature of approximately 5600 K is required to match "daylight" film emulsions. In astronomy, the stellar classification of stars and their place on the Hertzsprung–Russell diagram are based, in part, upon their surface temperature, known as effective temperature. The photosphere of the Sun, for instance, has an effective temperature of 5778 K.

I was talking about the interior lighting in the vehicle. Perhaps they were trying to go for a "natural light" feeling?

I've also noticed a blue-ish tint to the interior lighting in some trains. I suspect that they went for "daylight" LEDs, which are brighter and also tend to be more commonly available than "warm" LEDs.

LED's come in different colour temperatures. This is measured in degrees Kelvin.

"White LEDs" are blue LEDs with a yellow phosphor, they work similarly to fluorescent tubes. As the phosphor ages and breaks down, the colour changes.

Kelvin is a unit of measure, there are no degrees kelvin.

Actually, Kelvin is degrees from absolute zero. A Celsius degree is equal to a Kelvin degree in magnitude. See link.

What Johnny Au is saying is that when you're dealing with an absolute temperature scale, like Kelvin or Rankine, you don't use the word "degree". So you'd say the temperature is either 5 "degrees Celsius" or 278 Kelvin (no degree).

I've also noticed a blue-ish tint to the interior lighting in some trains. I suspect that they went for "daylight" LEDs, which are brighter and also tend to be more commonly available than "warm" LEDs.

"Warm White" LEDs are more common than "daylight" LEDs. I use "daylight" LEDs in my closet and bathroom, because it most simulates the outdoor light. I use "warm white" for the bedroom for the "warmth". The dining room uses "warm white" to get food more appealing look to the food. Hallways are "daylight", to check that our clothes will "look" right outdoors.

Well the interior lighting on the TTC will have nothing on Guelph Transit. Some of those buses aren't even bluish-white, they're straight-up blue.

EDIT - like this:

5435606882_7667bd9456_m.jpg

Attachments

• 5435606882_7667bd9456_m.jpg
    5435606882_7667bd9456_m.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 670
Last edited:

Back