News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

No doubt entirely necessary; but this sheer volume of 'emergency' work on both streetcar and subway routes is not a positive reflection on the TTC or the City/its contractors. This on top of the issue of badly delayed major projects both from the City and Metrolinx.
add in decades of closures......

I've noticed SEVERAL stops with no lighting (ex, leslie station outside) the entire 501 line from windermere to roncy with zero light at night and reported to the TTC, I requested a response but got no reply... pretty pathetic how they'll take years to "fix" things and never get to it.

I've noticed SEVERAL stops with no lighting (ex, leslie station outside) the entire 501 line from windermere to roncy with zero light at night and reported to the TTC, I requested a response but got no reply... pretty pathetic how they'll take years to "fix" things and never get to it.
I'm a bit puzzled by what you mean here. Lighting? Do you mean the electronic Next Vehicle signs?

I'm a bit puzzled by what you mean here. Lighting? Do you mean the electronic Next Vehicle signs?
Took a drive along the 501 route when it reopened, submitted a complaint because every single lamp at the stops were turned off and got no reply from the ttc.
light.PNG

Ah. The Etobicoke Transitway!

Wouldn't those be Toronto Hydro? Though they don't seem to be on their map of lights - https://www.torontohydro.com/streetlight-map (though admittedly, I see some around my house that are missing too - so it's not perfect).

I'm confused what you mean by Leslie - there's no special lighting there for the 501 as far as I know. Leslie Barns?

Ah. The Etobicoke Transitway!

Wouldn't those be Toronto Hydro? Though they don't seem to be on their map of lights - https://www.torontohydro.com/streetlight-map (though admittedly, I see some around my house that are missing too - so it's not perfect).

I'm confused what you mean by Leslie - there's no special lighting there for the 501 as far as I know. Leslie Barns?
Every single one of these lights was out as well, again no reply.
light.PNG

lights.PNG

If you see any toronto hydro lights out report them ideally with the pole number (or the pole opposite if it isn't numbered) I've submitted requests at 11pm and saw at 9am the next morning they had a contractor out to replace them

lI you see any toronto hydro lights out report them ideally with the pole number (or the pole opposite if it isn't numbered) I've submitted requests at 11pm and saw at 9am the next morning they had a contractor out to replace them
It seems easier to just click on the press on their map.

It seems easier to just click on the press on their map.
A lot of the concrete or steel ones have no numbers listed, I'll usually put the pole number as the contractor is a 3rd party so not sure what info they're given and it guarantees the right one gets fixed.

In Josh Matlow's community update today:

Scarborough RT Derailment Raises Concerns About the State of Subway Repair

Last year, Torontonians were understandably horrified at footage of the Scarborough RT derailing. The incident sent 5 people to hospital and TTC staff have confirmed that it was lucky it wasn’t more catastrophic.

As reported in the Toronto Star, an independent review of the derailment was completed in November but has yet to be brought to the TTC board. The report found that in the period before the accident there was a marked decline in reported defects on the RT's reaction rail. That component of the line was later identified as the cause of the crash.

The reduction in reported defects prior to the derailment does not add up. The RT was supposed to reach the end of its service life in 2015, as such it should have been expected that the number of defects would increase and more preventative maintenance required to keep transit riders safe.

A formal report by the TTC is expected to come to the TTC Board in May. I will continue pushing for more accountability and transparency on the derailment to ensure that this type of incident never happens again. I have significant concerns about the slow downs that the subway is experiencing on Line 1, and that without sufficient funding for state of good repair we could see increased slow downs on Line 2 over the next 5 years. We simply cannot allow our subway system to either become structurally unsafe or slow down to a point in which we no longer have a functional transit system. I will continue focusing my advocacy on this critical priority.

Josh is on the TTC Board so may actually be paying attention!

Every single one of these lights was out as well, again no reply.
View attachment 544168

View attachment 544169

If you see any toronto hydro lights out report them ideally with the pole number (or the pole opposite if it isn't numbered) I've submitted requests at 11pm and saw at 9am the next morning they had a contractor out to replace them

From the photos, the lights that are out would NOT seem to be streetlighting (i.e. Toronto Hydro) but look 'private' (i.e. TTC) but.....

Time for another game of "Whose Light is it Anyway?". I remember being tagged in a ping pong between City Transportation, City Parks and Toronto Hydro for a stretch of lights along the Beltline...

Time for another game of "Whose Light is it Anyway?". I remember being tagged in a ping pong between City Transportation, City Parks and Toronto Hydro for a stretch of lights along the Beltline...
In some cases the local BIA owns lights too! Much as I liked David Miller, his decision to sell City streetlights to Toronto Hydro was VERY misplaced.

In some cases the local BIA owns lights too! Much as I liked David Miller, his decision to sell City streetlights to Toronto Hydro was VERY misplaced.
That said, it's rare to see a street light out in my neighbourhood these days. A decade or so ago,, I'd walk 2 or 3 blocks, and count 4 or 5 lights out.

And the city does own 100% of Toronto Hydro.

Back