News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

That was the mentality up until the late 1990s.

My father started at the TTC in 1989 and had to deal with alot of situations on his own without support. He has a number of stories wherein he had to manhandle someone and throw them off his bus for doing drugs.

He has other stories where he came across someone throwing punches at another operator who was at a stop. In that case, he parked his bus and went to assist while the original operator took a fire extinguisher to the back of the persons head (and was later fired for it).

With all the cameras and bleeding hearts now, it would be impossible for any operator to defend themselves and avoid risking jail time or being publicly persecuted via social media.

Many years ago, prior to the installation of the cab shields my father was asked to wear a seatbelt while driving by his supervisor. His response was no because he felt it would impede his ability to defend himself when assaulted.
Well, let me ask you something - describe to me your father's physical build in 1989. There are two possibilities here: either the dude was ripped, in which case he would automatically have the physical advantage over many sketchy folk using the system, or he himself was closer in physique to an emaciated drug user, in which case getting into fights with the criminals of the TTC would be a horrifically stupid thing to do, and the fact that he lived to tell the tale is because of sheer dumb luck.

So, which is it?

As he quite plainly put it, the people they are hiring now do not care. They just sit in the seat and collect a paycheque without actually knowing or caring about what they are doing.

That's a pretty ignorant mischaracterization of the collect situation.

It needs to be said again - clearly, it didn't sink in the first time - these people aren't trained to be cops or bodyguards, and unless they're built like a tank, there is a not zero chance that any attempt to intervene will just end badly for them. There is NOTHING in the job description about getting physical with crack heads or gangbangers. There are older people who drive, there are women, and in fact there are a lot of men who do not have the build for that type of confrontation, either. Why should they be expected to put themselves at risk because the police and the city politicians don't feel like doing their jobs?

This is a mischaracterization of what happened. The person was found not criminally responsible, and will definitely be incarcerated in a mental institution until they are deemed to no longer a threat. This is a part of the justice system and has been for a long time.

From this story: "He will now appear at a hearing before the Ontario Review Board, which will determine the hospital where he will be held and what privileges, if any, he'll have there."

The person was not high fived and released.
Who cares when we have pretty much daily cases of people breaking their bail reequipments for the 2nd 3rd 4th or 7th time?

"Toronto Police have charged a guy they say is the man in a viral video who allegedly swung a knife toward a man during a road rage incident in Scarborough Sunday."

And he’s already out on bail, even though he was charged with two counts of breaching previous court conditions.

Look at the news article for any violent or gun crime? Almost without exception the attacker had been charged with failing to abide by parole requirements

My adult daughter was on the streetcar yesterday coming eastbound from College St. when a guy gets on, doesn't tap and walks up and down the streetcar approaching each woman to a few inches and shouting a litany of misogyny at them. Was it just another random nutbar, some wigged out junkie, or just a angry, potentially violent character? The sole TTC employee is safely in their glazed in cabin, so the folks were on their own. Pushing the safety button would do nothing, as the driver can clearly see what's happening and carries on along the route as this guy screams away. Two stops on, the guy gets off, leaving everyone rattled and further disappointed in our city.

Is there anywhere in this city where one can just go about their day without encountering such folks? We used to have laws or even societal norms against public nuisance. I don't want to live in a police state, but when the TTC just looks the other way as their customers are verbally assaulted and intimidated, well the place has gone to hell.
Have you tried telling her these incidents are very rare /s (mostly because people don't bother reporting incidents if they know action won't be taken)

Have you tried telling her these incidents are very rare /s (mostly because people don't bother reporting incidents if they know action won't be taken)
I mean, this argument is more than a little unhelpful, because it doesn't specify to what degree these incidents are supposed to be underreported. This is veering into speculative fiction territory. If these incidents are not reported, how do you know that they are happening?

Also, "I won't bother reporting this incident because I know action won't be taken" is a level of jaded cynicism that I think is safe to say cannot be extrapolated to the population at large. I myself am manifestly a jaded cynic and such a thought would never occur to me.

I mean, this argument is more than a little unhelpful, because it doesn't specify to what degree these incidents are supposed to be underreported. This is veering into speculative fiction territory. If these incidents are not reported, how do you know that they are happening?

Also, "I won't bother reporting this incident because I know action won't be taken" is a level of jaded cynicism that I think is safe to say cannot be extrapolated to the population at large. I myself am manifestly a jaded cynic and such a thought would never occur to me.
In my personal experience this is the case, I’ve called the TTC about “know characters” and they pretty much said nothing would be done.

For car break ins etc generally the deductible is higher than paying out of pocket so that goes unreported, why put a claim on your carfax?

None of my female friends report creepy interactions or even assaults as they’ve gotten a hard time from police.

Toronto police are giving significantly less tickets than they have in the past, are you going to say drivers are better behaved pre Covid?

See also this thread...

Telling a young woman that her negative experiences are rare so she should just move on.... well that's not going to get me a progressive father of the year mug.

Last edited:
IMG_20240619_161059.jpg
IMG_20240619_161127.jpg

Looks like it was making the rather rare south to east turn.

Trading a crummy photo for info:
IMG_1586.jpeg

Had to be 20 in the crew here, working hard to fix mistakes of the higher ups.

So it’s a case of one rail switching and the other not (left and right). I don’t know much about this but on traditional rail switches aren’t the left and right of the switch coupled by a joint with one controlling actuator? I guess not the case for these rails sunk in to the road surface, probably cheaper to stick two separately wired actuators down there (better yet, probably cheaper to upgrade the tech to save all this mess).

Yes lets burry our head in the sand, how many cases of someone skipping bail 4 or 5 times for violent crimes would constitute an issue in your mind
This is were the legal is a failure as there too many in the jail now. Lets go back to the old day and built a nice prison way up north in the shield with no access to the current technology other than going out door and walk around. We are too soft on crime and most think its only a slap on the hand for what they did.

Back