News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

See Spadina Subway, 1978, for a live example, with some imaginative uses of concrete. Unfortunately concrete traps the brake dust from the subway trains and you end up with grimy dirty walls and floors which require frequent cleaning (and we know how infrequent the cleaning is now). Brake dust tends to clean off tiles or glass much more easily, which is why the glass tiles were chosen for the walls on the original Yonge line. What we want is the durability and ease of cleaning of tile without the old-time tile look.

In terms of floors, the concrete floor at the Walmer Rd. exit at Spadina Stn is already deteriorating in some spots whereas terrazzo probably would hold up better to the salt that gets tracked in.

There are definitely some lessons there in those cases like not having concrete walls along the tracks and not using concrete for flooring. But I love Montreal's stations with massive concrete arches, coffered concrete ceilings, concrete columns in interesting shapes and the concrete 'light tree', for instance. Those seem like creative flourishes by planners who cared about more than just "cheap and cheerful" design but who didn't intend to build expensive palatial spaces like the Moscow Metro.

That does seem rather excessive - I'm not seeing much resistance. I'm guessing that one TTC cop (I think that's what it is) is going to be unemployed soon, if not charged with assault.

But this also doesn't seem to have just happened. Heavy winter coats? Looks like after a Maple Leafs game?

So can anyone justify the enforcement officers actions?

Oh wow. On Reddit /r/Toronto, I do recall someone posting about some kind of altercation with a TTC enforcement officer. He was asking if anyone else had witnessed it. I wonder if this is the same incident.

There was one I posted in the TTC Customer Service thread, but that involved a bus driver. It also got a lot of attention, and while I haven't bothered to look it up again, I'm guessing that the TTC quietly dealt with it or that there was significantly more to the story than what was posted.

I was actually thinking of posting this in the TTCCS thread, but that would have just been cruel :D

So can anyone justify the enforcement officers actions?

The first guy... pretty tough. It appears that he had him secured on the ground when he decided to throw a punch at him.

The second one, the only benefit I can give him is that the adrenaline took over. There was no need to wail on him like he did. The non-security TTC employee should be given a medal for trying to defuse the situation and get the security officer under control.

From someone on Reddit:

There are other videos of this incident on YT, one of which starts like 2 minutes earlier into the altercation. TEO #1 was struggling with the guy you see on the ground at the beginning, the other guy tried to intervene and then TEO #2 shows up and takes him to the wall. During all of this there is also another TTC employee trying to assist. The 2 TEOs are the only officers on scene until TPS arrives to back them up.

So it appears that they were resisting the TEOs earlier. Though I still can't possibly understand why the first TEO punched the man on the ground, and why the second one felt it necessary to repeatedly punch the man pinned against the wall in the face.

There is no excuse at all for the TEO throwing punches like that. That is nothing less than assault and excessive use of force.

That does seem rather excessive - I'm not seeing much resistance. I'm guessing that one TTC cop (I think that's what it is) is going to be unemployed soon, if not charged with assault.

But this also doesn't seem to have just happened. Heavy winter coats? Looks like after a Maple Leafs game?

You're right. It happened on or before March 3rd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWhOrVmrGjM

January 29th it says in the comments. And that video has been up for almost a month. Not sure why it's suddenly getting attention now.

Yeah, weird. Still, I'm happy to see it come out. I remember talking to people about concerns over TEO training, after the whole controversy over arming them.

That TEO should be fired.

Get ready for round 2 of the UT love-in for criminals who steal from the public. 3... 2... 1... It's like groundhog day around here.

Get ready for round 2 of the UT love-in for criminals who steal from the public. 3... 2... 1... It's like groundhog day around here.

So it's acceptable for a law enforcement officer to punch someone in the face multiple times for stealing a fare? Get real.

So it's acceptable for a law enforcement officer to punch someone in the face multiple times for stealing a fare? Get real.

Of course. If you stole a fancy pen from me (one of those fancy $3 pens), I'd applaud whomever gave you a few punches to the face. You can't just go around stealing pens.

Back