News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Hmmm....Shenzhen? They use cut and cover and they are a modern city (think of Hong Kong...but more modern).
They might well do some cut-and-cover, but they also use TBM, according to this article:

New tunneling (sic) technology used in Metro line 2
Construction of a major tunnel section in the Shenzhen Metro Line 2 was completed last Sunday. The 3 kilometer finished tunnel costs 583 million yuan and runs from Antuoshan to Xiangmeibei stations. The tunnel contractor achieved a zero record of major accidents while building the tunnel. The tunnel used an advance shield tunneling technology

Toronto still uses cut-and-cover were appropriate as well, there is some on the Spadina extension, and a lot more on the design for the Yonge extension. Not surprisingly, the cheapest approach is selected, based on each location, infrastructure, and geology. Claims otherwise seem to defy common sense!

Don PeatVerified account
‏@reporterdonpeat
#TTC commissioner Alan Heisey says the #TTC should have made subway extension stations "cheap and cheerful" rather than good architecture

See the kind of thinking we have in this city and at the TTC..No wonder the city is filled with rusting hydro poles and terrible public realm..

There must be something between looking like one of the Seven Wonders of the World and the plain vanilla seen on the Bloor-Danforth line. After being in an underground tunnel, arriving at a good station makes the ride far more enjoyable. How much did Montreal spend on its stations?

That said, while somewhat plain, the renovations at Union I think make it one of the sharpest stations on the system. Its strategic use of glass, glossy tile, and stainless steel really make it a handsome stop to go through.

TTC is now looking for recruits to be operators. See link.

Operator Recruitment Campaign – Now Open

Must have a good driving record. For example, not stopping at a stop sign or red light means 3 demerit points (see link), but it could add up to being not acceptable. See below, from link:

Driver's Abstract Requirements

The following table outlines our requirements for application:

Number of Offences Demerit Points Acceptable or Unacceptable
0 or 10 to 3Acceptable to submit application
20 to 2Acceptable to submit application
2 or more3 or moreUnacceptable - must wait to apply when abstract is acceptable
30Unacceptable - must wait to apply when abstract is acceptable
Note: There should be no criminal convictions or suspensions of any kind on your driver’s abstract.

A driver begins with zero demerit points and accumulates demerit points for convictions.

Please do not submit a driver’s abstract with your online application. However, if you are uncertain if you meet the standards outlined above, the process for obtaining driver’s abstract information is available on the Ministry of Transportation website . If you are selected to attend an information session you will be required to produce an original of your three year Driver’s Abstract.

If the TTC wants a good standard for subway station design, it should look to Montreal. Montreal's stations are generally distinctive and attractive. If you want to cut costs, eliminate unnecessary spaces like mezzanines and large bus terminals. Cut the oversized entrances. Hire some good designers to use cheaper finishes like brick and concrete in attractive ways. "Cheap and cheerful" sounds like public washroom tiles with bright colours. That would be a step backwards.

Last edited:
If the TTC wants a good standard for subway station design, it should look to Montreal.
Given Montreal's complete failure to integrate bus terminals into subway stations, and their fear of tunnelling through anything but bedrock, forcing the tunnels deeper than necessary in some spots, I'm not sure Montreal is necessarily the best place to look for station and subway design.

Architecture sure ... but that's a different issue.

If the TTC wants a good standard for subway station design, it should look to Montreal. Montreal's stations are generally distinctive and attractive. If you want to cut costs, eliminate unnecessary spaces like mezzanines and large bus terminals. Cut the oversized entrances. Hire some good designers to use cheaper finishes like brick and concrete in attractive ways. "Cheap and cheerful" sounds like public washroom tiles with bright colours. That would be a step backwards.

Bus terminals are essential, in my opinion. One of the main ways people get to the subway is by bus, convenient & direct connections to buses are worthwhile.

They're good to have. But there's nothing wrong with sheltered curbside stops outside subway entrances if they're well designed.

It depends on the station. For example Bessarion station does not need a bus terminal. Our Dufferin Stations on Lines 2 & 5, on the other hand, could use a bus terminal to connect with route 29. On stations like Kennedy or Eglinton it is essential.

Last edited:
They're good to have. But there's nothing wrong with sheltered curbside stops outside subway entrances if they're well designed.

Maybe when Presto or proof of payment finally happen there'd be less of a benefit from bus bays. But with our current fare system they allow massive amounts of people to unload and load in a quick amount of time from all doors. They also give space for the massive lines that form where the doors would be (more space than a typical sidewalk). You can see this in action at stations like Finch & Eglinton stations.

They are especially worthwhile at places with tons of connecting bus lines like Finch & Eglinton.

Hire some good designers to use cheaper finishes like brick and concrete in attractive ways.

See Spadina Subway, 1978, for a live example, with some imaginative uses of concrete. Unfortunately concrete traps the brake dust from the subway trains and you end up with grimy dirty walls and floors which require frequent cleaning (and we know how infrequent the cleaning is now). Brake dust tends to clean off tiles or glass much more easily, which is why the glass tiles were chosen for the walls on the original Yonge line. What we want is the durability and ease of cleaning of tile without the old-time tile look.

In terms of floors, the concrete floor at the Walmer Rd. exit at Spadina Stn is already deteriorating in some spots whereas terrazzo probably would hold up better to the salt that gets tracked in.

I want to say we should wait for the facts, but damn, I have a hard time condoning the actions of the enforcement officer.
That does seem rather excessive - I'm not seeing much resistance. I'm guessing that one TTC cop (I think that's what it is) is going to be unemployed soon, if not charged with assault.

But this also doesn't seem to have just happened. Heavy winter coats? Looks like after a Maple Leafs game?

Oh wow. On Reddit /r/Toronto, I do recall someone posting about some kind of altercation with a TTC enforcement officer. He was asking if anyone else had witnessed it. I wonder if this is the same incident.

Back