News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I should have posted this before and just did under new subway cars. You will start to hear talking vehicles this year outside stop announcement.

Under the ODA, all vehicles must have outside announcement advising rider the route number and direction it going to as well where to.

Can't speak for all the systems, but Burlington was the first to adopt this and Mississauga was done by the end of 2013. Every time the front door opens, the announcement is made.

I noticed on the Burlington buses, French is used as the rear doors open.

TTC has a plan in place and will be rolling buses out over time with new speakers at the doors. Both the new Streetcars and subway cars are coming with these speakers already built in. The system will be tie into the system for changing routes and directions.

We were talking about how to make Spadina better on another thread. What do you guys think of the idea of eliminating some stops along Spadina? Would it help, or would it not speed up the vehicle much anyways due to the frequent intersections? The stops are so close as is that eliminating some of them would probably only result in a few minutes extra walk.

I was thinking that Sussex would be the most obvious to remove.
The next most likely to be removed would be Willcocks, then maybe Nassau or Sullivan?

There would be more people getting on & off at each stop, but with the new vehicles with all door boarding & POP that should be faster.

We were talking about how to make Spadina better on another thread. What do you guys think of the idea of eliminating some stops along Spadina? Would it help, or would it not speed up the vehicle much anyways due to the frequent intersections? The stops are so close as is that eliminating some of them would probably only result in a few minutes extra walk.

I was thinking that Sussex would be the most obvious to remove.
The next most likely to be removed would be Willcocks, then maybe Nassau or Sullivan?

There would be more people getting on & off at each stop, but with the new vehicles with all door boarding & POP that should be faster.

As someone who uses Spadina regularly, people who go from the station and get off at Sussex should be public shamed. Unless you have a disability or the streetcar was right there waiting and empty, walk yourself and save space for the rest of us who actually need to travel a distance.

Perhaps I'm biased but Willcocks is a big trip generator for UofT student with alot of lecture halls around it. Walking up to Harbord or College is not something a lot of us like to do :p

As someone who uses Spadina regularly, people who go from the station and get off at Sussex should be public shamed. Unless you have a disability or the streetcar was right there waiting and empty, walk yourself and save space for the rest of us who actually need to travel a distance.

Perhaps I'm biased but Willcocks is a big trip generator for UofT student with alot of lecture halls around it. Walking up to Harbord or College is not something a lot of us like to do :p
Sussex needs to go. Spadina Circle actually makes Willcocks more relevant. Not just that, but the Willcocks stop is the nearest stop to Sidney Smith Hall.

LOL. It's the same situation as the first stop when the Eglinton East bus leaves Eglinton station. It's so close that it would be faster to walk anyways, so I wonder why they even bother getting on the bus or streetcar.

OK good to know. I'm definitely not suggesting those stops should all be removed, I was more asking those who take it more regularly than me like yourself.

It's difficult for me to fathom why the Sussex stop is there, given how close it is to the station. Even if the streetcar is waiting and empty, it still takes a few minutes usually for the driver to get in, and then another minute to drive out of the tunnel to the stop. In that time a person could've walked to Sussex anyways. I mean, I understand that local service should have close stop spacing, but there has to be some threshold where it's such a short walk that it doesn't make sense.

Regarding Spadina being close to University, personally, if my destination is near Spadina, I will almost always choose to take the Spadina streetcar. University is a good 10 min walk away, so going directly to Spadina is often faster.

Spadina does indeed serve a different purpose than University, being as it's definitely more local, and is the primary transit access for some neighbourhoods/attractions that are rather big draws: Chinatown and UofT especially. I would definitely argue (speaking for the latter) for the retention of Willcocks; it's very well-used by UofT students and is close to New College, Sidney Smith Hall, and many of the science buildings.

Sussex is officially there for people coming from the south, though that number is probablt miniscule, and it wouldn't be a big deal if they walked to Harbord.

Sussex is officially there for people coming from the south, though that number is probablt miniscule, and it wouldn't be a big deal if they walked to Harbord.

You mean people heading north from Sussex into the subway station? In that case why would they even bother waiting for the streetcar, they could just walk up to Spadina station and it would likely be faster anyways.

With the longer streetcars, it would make perfect sense to cut some stops. Give the line subway like stop spacing, with stops only at major cross streets. And since these streets are so close together downtown, it should have minimal impact on walkability.

Of course, if the Spadina streetcar only stops at the same streets as the subway, along with all the other enhancements of the new streetcars, would this not turn the route into an LRT?

With the longer streetcars, it would make perfect sense to cut some stops. Give the line subway like stop spacing, with stops only at major cross streets. And since these streets are so close together downtown, it should have minimal impact on walkability.

Of course, if the Spadina streetcar only stops at the same streets as the subway, along with all the other enhancements of the new streetcars, would this not turn the route into an LRT?

By subway-like, do you mean like the Yonge subway south of Bloor? So, Harbord, College, Dundas, Queen, King, Front then ?.

Well LRT is not really strictly defined in my opinion, but one obstacle to gaining as much speed as suburban LRTs would be that there are so many intersections, so it would likely get red lights more often than a suburban street. The other difference is that the LRTs will run multi-car trains of 2 or 3, so the vehicles would be 2-3x longer.

The other thing though is, the Spadina route isn't very long, Bloor to Queen is only 2km, so it's not really possible for people to ride for long distances. Therefore, speed is not necessarily as important as a line designed for longer distances like Eglinton. That to me is one reason shorter stop spacing is appropriate.

LOL. It's the same situation as the first stop when the Eglinton East bus leaves Eglinton station. It's so close that it would be faster to walk anyways, so I wonder why they even bother getting on the bus or streetcar.

Even stranger that people stand out there to catch the Eglinton bus heading west. The times if day I take that bus it is always packed and so practically impossible to get on. I am baffled by the disappointed expression on people's faces. The only excuse I can think of is that they are from out of town and don't know how the system works.

You mean people heading north from Sussex into the subway station? In that case why would they even bother waiting for the streetcar, they could just walk up to Spadina station and it would likely be faster anyways.
You see a streetcar coming and run to the stop. Much faster than walking to the station. Though I wouldn't recommend this during rush hour, when all the streetcars are overcrowded.

Mind that Sussex is a rarely used stop. 4/5 times the streetcar bypasses it.

Back