News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

We're in agreement. At this point my only concern is SELRT. ML needs to push it through before the next election. As we know, the speculation is that they've been looking into fastracking funding for the line.

The LRTs are out of municipalities touch now I think, so I don't worry about the fall election affecting it. (in 2010 the TTC still had control of the projects, and the province let the city take control of the Scarborough subway) I do worry about Hudak a bit though.

The LRTs are out of municipalities touch now I think, so I don't worry about the fall election affecting it. (in 2010 the TTC still had control of the projects, and the province let the city take control of the Scarborough subway) I do worry about Hudak a bit though.

My bad. I should have clarified that it was a potential 2015 provincial election that I was worried about. I'd like to see SELRT underway before then.

My bad. I should have clarified that it was a potential 2015 provincial election that I was worried about. I'd like to see SELRT underway before then.

This is from the comments of Steve Munro's site:
Steve: My understanding is that Sheppard is on the back burner thanks to pressure from the Scarborough Liberal Caucus, and I suspect Finch is in a similar position. While Metrolinx may be doing work on these projects, nothing politically is going to happen until the status of the government at Queen’s Park is settled with an election.
http://stevemunro.ca/?p=9218#comments

This is from the comments of Steve Munro's site:

http://stevemunro.ca/?p=9218#comments

Steve: My understanding is that Sheppard is on the back burner thanks to pressure from the Scarborough Liberal Caucus, and I suspect Finch is in a similar position. While Metrolinx may be doing work on these projects, nothing politically is going to happen until the status of the government at Queen’s Park is settled with an election.

But the Liberals set up Metrolinx as an Agency independant of political interferance. We are spending $50B on the Metrolinx plan and we are certain that it is the best plan without the influence of politics.

Just like the Scarborough Subway. There was no evidence of political influence. It was just that Metrolinx decided to re-evaluate the transit plan and found that they had made a huge miscalculation and the LRT, which was previously the best solution, was not - and the B-D Subway, which was the worst option, turned out to be the best.

pplication: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4W 1A8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 119041 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Feb 19, 2014

Project: Transit Station,Subway, Bus Terminal Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations at 20 Bloor Street West (Yonge and Bloor Subway Station) for an Automatic Train Control Facility at the Southbound Platform Level in the Emergncy Response Room and the Transit Enforcement Security Office. Proposal to include for HVAC and PLB

What progran and school was this, so I know to avoid it like the plague! If that was in one of my classes, to hell with raising my hand, I'd have shouted out all the inaccuracies in that comparison!

Well, at least the population one (Greater London (the "city" is only a square mile) and the City of Toronto are similar physical sizes).

The secret Toronto airport express bus

Read More: http://spacing.ca/toronto/2014/02/19/the-secret-toronto-airport-express-bus/

- In Montreal, the bus to the airport was introduced in 2010 with a major ad campaign. The bus — numbered 747 — is painted brightly with the image of an airplane. As the bus makes its way through downtown Montreal and onto the highway toward Trudeau International, it becomes a moving billboard advertising itself as a viable transit option to the airport.

- And why is the TTC bus to the airport so secret anyways? It definitely affirms my suspicions that Toronto is thoroughly an Insider’s city. We Torontonians like our secrets. Our gems are accessible, but you’ve got to find them yourself. We have a great ravine system, but its trails remains largely unmarked. And just try to make your way through the PATH system for the first time.

4429366057_38d62fc423-300x86.jpg

Kipling-plane.png

The secret Toronto airport express bus

Read More: http://spacing.ca/toronto/2014/02/19/the-secret-toronto-airport-express-bus/

- In Montreal, the bus to the airport was introduced in 2010 with a major ad campaign. The bus — numbered 747 — is painted brightly with the image of an airplane. As the bus makes its way through downtown Montreal and onto the highway toward Trudeau International, it becomes a moving billboard advertising itself as a viable transit option to the airport.

- And why is the TTC bus to the airport so secret anyways? It definitely affirms my suspicions that Toronto is thoroughly an Insider’s city. We Torontonians like our secrets. Our gems are accessible, but you’ve got to find them yourself. We have a great ravine system, but its trails remains largely unmarked. And just try to make your way through the PATH system for the first time.

4429366057_38d62fc423-300x86.jpg

Kipling-plane.png
There is also the 58A Malton bus that goes to the airport from some subway station next to the "poor man's" Yorkdale that just lost its Zellers.

Secret airport bus? It is specifically noted on the TTC front page and has a page all of its own at http://www.ttc.ca/Riding_the_TTC/Airport_service.jsp Not really sure how much more publicity it could get and, unlike Montreal, it is actually nota bus that goes directly from downtown. It runs from the airport to a subway station (or stations if you take the, rather slow, 58A).

Not really sure how much more publicity it could get and, unlike Montreal, it is actually nota bus that goes directly from downtown. It runs from the airport to a subway station (or stations if you take the, rather slow, 58A).
Agreed, the whole article seemed rather over-dramatic.

Other differences from Montreal is that the TTC is regular fare. The Montreal one is bizzare ... the fare is $10 but ... get this ... you can't pay in bills, you have to use coins! You'd think for that amount of massive surcharge, they'd have been able to put a bill reader on the farebox.

In many ways, the 747 service in Montreal is more of an equivalent of the Toronto Airport Express bus to downtown. An equivalent bus to the TTC Airport Rocket would go from Trudeau up Cote De Liesse into Metro du College. There is no such service.

Personally, in the pre-747 days, I'd simply catch a 204 to the Dorval terminal, and then the 211 express bus to Lionel Groulx (or a train, if there was one at the right time, but only running about every 2-hours off-peak, I don't think that happened once). Looks like the 209 supplements the 204 now too. Though Montreal buses aren't as frequent as Toronto ones (many are more than 30 minute waits), so that isn't great.

Throw in the frequent express GO buses to Pearson from various places. The Mississuaga buses ... and doesn't a Brampton one go there too, and Pearson is much better served by public transit than Montreal. But the anti-Toronto bent of the article fails to mention that.

If they added that airplane icon to Kipling station, it would give the impression that the station is at the airport. If they do show it, it would have to be clear that there's a bus line starting from that station to the airport.

Agreed. MTA subway maps actually show a lightly dotted line to LGA for the airport buses (which I suppose is an option too).

Also, with the coming UPX, will Union and Bloor West also get an airport indicator?

Back