News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Having a 200 series for express routes would suffice. That way all rocket routes, as well as premium express routes can be numbered in the 200's. The Premium Express routes may no longer exist in a few years anyways so if that's the case, the TTC wont have a choice and they'll have to renumber a whole batch of routes.

Local Express routes are fine the way they are. I think it would be a good idea for the TTC to tinker the destination signs to say "local express", but I can also see that confusing many people.

I find it amusing that the TTC makes a big deal about express bus service. On a few of these routes I was actually shocked that there was not already express routes. (express routes should increase capacity of the bus service unless there is a larger increase in the number of users)

I assumed that on 4 lane roads the TTC would automatically have express and local routes if the bus service was less than 10 minute headways. It's the most efficient way to use the number of busses that they have and it gives quicker service to a large number of users.

To be clear, when I talk about express service it refers to limited stops (e.g. at every concession road or when other transit meets). The local bus would not serve the end of the line but would be picking up people at all the stops. How to show success is people getting off of a local bus to wait for the express bus at the express bus stop.

I used 10 minutes as a guess. There must be studies which highlight how people's behaviour changes with frequency and I used 10 as an assumption. (i.e. anything less than 10 minutes will not change a person's behaviour. Oh no...I will have to wait 7 minutes for a bus so I'm not taking it).

I also found it surprising that they couldn't figure out Dufferin St. It's a 4 lane road with parking. Can't they find a solution by eliminating 2-3 parking spaces near a bus stop and near busy intersections? Or is parking that sacred in this city that bus service is secondary to the right to use city owned space by one private citizen?

.I also found it surprising that they couldn't figure out Dufferin St. It's a 4 lane road with parking. Can't they find a solution by eliminating 2-3 parking spaces near a bus stop and near busy intersections? Or is parking that sacred in this city that bus service is secondary to the right to use city owned space by one private citizen?
Dufferin is one of the routes in the city that wouldn't benefit from having an express route, or rocket route no matter how you try and tinker service with it. The street as a whole is typically just a congested mess with on-street parking littered around different parts of Dufferin. The buses would have a lot of trouble passing each other since there are many points where buses are forced to merge into the passing lane because of the on-street parking.

The only way to fix Dufferin bus service is: a) The city deals with the on-street parking issues which would be extremely difficult, or b) better line management which the TTC has finally begun to take somewhat seriously with this route.

Of course Dufferin would be one of those corridors in the city that would benefit greatly from a subway, but that wont happen in our lifetime.

There is enough traffic lights on Dufferin that prevents express buses to pass local buses. You can remove all parking and express buses still doesn't work.

Feel free to explain how the presence of traffic signals has any effect on overtaking.

The traffic lights are under the control of the Transportation Department (AKA cars), not the TTC. Left turning vehicles get priority before anyone else. They may delay the change from green to red, but that's about it. Also, most of the bus stops on on the nearside, not the farside, which means the buses must stop at the bus stop before crossing the intersection.

If they have farside stops, the traffic lights should delay changing until the bus actually crossing the intersection. With nearside stops, the lights may delay changing, but the bus is has to wait until the last passenger gets on. By then, the light changes to red, and the bus has to wait. Both for cross traffic and the left turners.

The traffic lights are under the control of the Transportation Department (AKA cars), not the TTC. Left turning vehicles get priority before anyone else. They may delay the change from green to red, but that's about it. Also, most of the bus stops on on the nearside, not the farside, which means the buses must stop at the bus stop before crossing the intersection.

If they have farside stops, the traffic lights should delay changing until the bus actually crossing the intersection. With nearside stops, the lights may delay changing, but the bus is has to wait until the last passenger gets on. By then, the light changes to red, and the bus has to wait. Both for cross traffic and the left turners.

None of those things have anything to do with overtaking.

Geeee!!!! I guess no one rides the 29 to make the comments that express can't run on this route.

If you do, you will find buses passing one another along the whole route and shows express buses can run on this route.

Been bypass buses at stops and on buses leap frogging other buses to either get back on schedule or to take the load of buses in front of them.

Geeee!!!! I guess no one rides the 29 to make the comments that express can't run on this route.

If you do, you will find buses passing one another along the whole route and shows express buses can run on this route.

Been bypass buses at stops and on buses leap frogging other buses to either get back on schedule or to take the load of buses in front of them.

Exactly. The reason we shouldn't have express Dufferin buses is not that it's physically impossible, it's that it simply doesn't reflect the nature of the demand. The 29 is predominantly used for short-distance trips.

Exactly. The reason we shouldn't have express Dufferin buses is not that it's physically impossible, it's that it simply doesn't reflect the nature of the demand. The 29 is predominantly used for short-distance trips.
Bulk of the ridership is south of Eglinton to Queen outside of events at the CNE.

You could run express between those points with the remaining stops been local or have the buses loop at X point and not run the full route. You will have to have a stop for the Dufferin Mall with the south stop been the one.

Need to get rid of the first southbound stop south of Bloor.

Coming soon, to a theatre near you. Raccoons on The Subway!

Nothing to see here. Move along.
rocket-from-guardians.jpg

John Tory (and I think Jen Keesmaat) will be on The Agenda tomorrow talking about transit, and I guess the new solution for Scarborough. It should be interesting.

John Tory (and I think Jen Keesmaat) will be on The Agenda tomorrow talking about transit, and I guess the new solution for Scarborough. It should be interesting.

there announcing another change to it. it will be a single track and every 15th train into kenedy will continue to STC. ;)

Back