News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The funny thing is that besides Montreal and Vancouver, most Canadian transit systems are funded by the municipality. Even in those two cities, the majority of funding comes from the cities themselves. Calgary gets virtually no funding from the province, despite having one of the more comprehensive transit systems, especially considering the city's suburban fabric, in the country! I don't have the numbers in front of me (and even if I did, I need to focus on this damn research paper [hence the reason this post is at 3:30AM]!), but the real cheapskate is the City of Toronto itself.

And then another batch of TRs will be ordered when the extension opens.
Why do you think that? The 10 extra sets they are currently ordering aren't anticipated to be needed until sometime after the extension opens in 2016. By 2022 they'll be working on the procurement for the T1 replacements.

whatever runs on the DRL will likely be the same as the T1 Replacements. They will likely (once again) order new trains for the 1 line and have the TRs transfer to Bloor and the DRL. Once the Yonge extension opens along with the Scarborough extension and the DRL the amount of trains on line 1 will likely equal the amount on line 2 and the DRL.

I was going over TTC docs regarding planned capital expenditures, and nowhere did I see any mention about replacing the T1s on the Sheppard. They talked about T1 replacements for the BD coming in about 10 years, but nothing for Sheppard.

I have a feeling that the 4 T1s on Sheppard will be lumped into the Bloor-Danforth order. Or perhaps the TTC is deferring decision on what to do with trains on this under performing line. If the T1s on Sheppard are replaced with newer subway cars, they'll be the only 4 trains on the subway system without ATO and they'll be the only 4 cars that won't have a 6-car permanently coupled configuration, making them useless elsewhere. It would be wise for the TTC to consider all options before spending around $100 Million on replacing these cars.

Maybe they too will receive the TR hand me downs from Line 1 with an extended platform, or keep those T1's running indefinitely. They can 3D print any replacement parts on demand by then.

I was going over TTC docs regarding planned capital expenditures, and nowhere did I see any mention about replacing the T1s on the Sheppard. They talked about T1 replacements for the BD coming in about 10 years, but nothing for Sheppard.

I have a feeling that the 4 T1s on Sheppard will be lumped into the Bloor-Danforth order. Or perhaps the TTC is deferring decision on what to do with trains on this under performing line. If the T1s on Sheppard are replaced with newer subway cars, they'll be the only 4 trains on the subway system without ATO and they'll be the only 4 cars that won't have a 6-car permanently coupled configuration, making them useless elsewhere. It would be wise for the TTC to consider all options before spending around $100 Million on replacing these cars.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just rebuild the T1s and have them run on the Sheppard line for a very, very long time. with them buying articulated trains now its not as easy to just decouple a train and make it 4 cars like they can with the T1s, so Sheppard will likely require a custom order trainset. I can't see them doing anything other than rebuilding 24 T1 cars (4 trains of 4 cars, plus an additional 2 trains for maintenance purposes)

That or they rebuild Sheppard with 6 car trains, which may be more realistic and will help with dealing with ridership growth on the line. During peak periods the line is starting to get quite full. It would allow for easier transferring of trains and the like as well..

I wouldn't be surprised if they just rebuild the T1s and have them run on the Sheppard line for a very, very long time. with them buying articulated trains now its not as easy to just decouple a train and make it 4 cars like they can with the T1s, so Sheppard will likely require a custom order trainset. I can't see them doing anything other than rebuilding 24 T1 cars (4 trains of 4 cars, plus an additional 2 trains for maintenance purposes)

That or they rebuild Sheppard with 6 car trains, which may be more realistic and will help with dealing with ridership growth on the line. During peak periods the line is starting to get quite full. It would allow for easier transferring of trains and the like as well..

There is plenty of room to increase capacity on Sheppard by reducing the headway.

yes but that involves buying more 4 car trains, and then you need to figure out where to store them, etc. Its probably easier to simply just upgrade the line to 6 car trains, all you need to do is rip down a few walls and place some tiling.

One problem Toronto has, unlike other cities that are installing new streetcar tracks, is the left turn conflict between automobiles and streetcars. Toronto's streetcar tracks are basically located where they are because they were there since the first streetcar tracks were installed. Since then, automobile traffic has increased big time. Some of the streetcar lines now have a separate right-of-way, which segregates the left turners from the streetcars, but still gives traffic light priority to them instead of the streetcars.

When other jurisdictions have or will be installing mixed traffic streetcar tracks, they put in left turn lanes for the automobiles. This is some intersections in Toronto with separate left turn lanes for automobiles (IE. Bathurst & Fleet), but not many.

Toronto should consider putting in separate left turn lanes, with the streetcar tracks bypassing them.

Benning-Road-Streetcar.jpg

Not perfect (see link), but better than what we do mostly now.

Attachments

• Benning-Road-Streetcar.jpg
    Benning-Road-Streetcar.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 345
yes but that involves buying more 4 car trains, and then you need to figure out where to store them, etc. Its probably easier to simply just upgrade the line to 6 car trains, all you need to do is rip down a few walls and place some tiling.

?

Running 1 more 4-car train is actually fewer cars than turning the 3 existing 4-car trains into 6-car trains: 4 added cars versus 6 added cars.

More trains need more staff (driver/door man) but the number of cars is lower and you get to avoid renovations ($5M?).

Back