News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I went past the track work at Adelaide/Charlotte just now and it looks like a short section of new track is going in just east of Charlotte. Are there any plans to start using more of Adelaide?

I went past the track work at Adelaide/Charlotte just now and it looks like a short section of new track is going in just east of Charlotte. Are there any plans to start using more of Adelaide?
Not at this time until the city decide what it going to do with and Richmond. If the city decide to maintain the current one way, the eastbound track will be rebuilt and the westbound removed. If it becomes 2 day, both tracks will be rebuilt and this will require tracks and switches been added to where they were remove years ago.

Part of the on Adelaide and all of Charlotte will be replace at this time.

Adelaide has been down to one lane yesterday and today (and for how much longer who knows) for this work.....it does not seem to be east of Charlotte as much as just the turn onto Charlotte.

Is the city working on reconfiguring Richmond?
They recently awarded a contract for rebuilding the road and streetcar tracks on Richmond from Church to York. It was actually supposed to happen in 2015 but the Bay has some sort of underground 'areaways' that they had to fix first. I think the Bay has finished and that the City work is scheduled for summer/fall.

Adelaide has been down to one lane yesterday and today (and for how much longer who knows) for this work.....it does not seem to be east of Charlotte as much as just the turn onto Charlotte.

It seemed like a bit east of Charlotte was being done today, though. You couldn't just move back into the right lane immediately after Charlotte.

I think the cones are set up further east for safety reasons....so cars/trucks don't dart in an cause a problem....I could be wrong but from what I have seen there is no actual work happening east of Charlotte....will pay a bit closer attention tomorrow morning.

Is the city working on reconfiguring Richmond?
I don't where it stands at this time, but a transportation study was been/or to be done to see is converting the one ways street to 2 ways or leave them as be with bike lanes on them. It was to look at a number of other issues as well.

TTC has defer rebuilding Adelaide until that study is done.

Having Adelaide a 2 way would offer TTC another option to deal with detours on King and Queen.

In fact if Adelaide does come 2 way, the line should be extended to Bathurst St. This would allow TTC to run 519 Bathurst car on this extension in place of the idea of having the Western Waterfront Line on Fort York/Bremner doing it.

I don't where it stands at this time, but a transportation study was been/or to be done to see is converting the one ways street to 2 ways or leave them as be with bike lanes on them. It was to look at a number of other issues as well.
As they are about to resurface Richmond and replace the streetcar tracks I think we can assume that it is not being converted to 2-way. It might have been a good idea but ...

I think the cones are set up further east for safety reasons....so cars/trucks don't dart in an cause a problem....I could be wrong but from what I have seen there is no actual work happening east of Charlotte....will pay a bit closer attention tomorrow morning.

I took another look. They excavated to about here but no tracks ... may have to do with utilities.

Here are some photos of the Charlotte re-build [Apr 13 2016]:

King looking west:
upload_2016-4-13_14-41-1.png

Charlotte at King looking north:
upload_2016-4-13_14-41-43.png

Charlotte at Adelaide:
upload_2016-4-13_14-42-31.png

Adelaide at Charlotte looking east (old tracks on Adelaide removed):
upload_2016-4-13_14-43-6.png

Adelaide looking west:
upload_2016-4-13_14-44-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-13_14-41-1.png
    upload_2016-4-13_14-41-1.png
    761.5 KB · Views: 704
  • upload_2016-4-13_14-41-43.png
    upload_2016-4-13_14-41-43.png
    642.6 KB · Views: 683
  • upload_2016-4-13_14-42-31.png
    upload_2016-4-13_14-42-31.png
    928.4 KB · Views: 690
  • upload_2016-4-13_14-43-6.png
    upload_2016-4-13_14-43-6.png
    1 MB · Views: 693
  • upload_2016-4-13_14-44-10.png
    upload_2016-4-13_14-44-10.png
    882.5 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
They have remove the Adelaide switch and it looks like the rest of the Adelaide tracks could be up for removal.

They have remove the Adelaide switch and it looks like the rest of the Adelaide tracks could be up for removal.
When they relaid track on York Street a year or so ago they also left out all the switches at Adelaide. At that time they said they were 'reserving the track allowance" and said that if/when they decide to relay track on Adelaide they can (easily) add the switches. Personally I think the Adelaide track is dead - though it would be useful - even if only from York to Victoria.

With all the condos, TTC will never get to run streetcars on Adelaide till like 2030s. There's plenty of buildings that can still be torn down. At that point the tracks would be due for another rebuilt with heavy usage from the 510 line.

Back