News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Today I saw 4405-4412 in this order along with 4415 & 4418 on 510 along with an CLRV and 2 ALRVs

Saw 2 sardine CLRVs going westbound at York St on the Queens Quay behind each other, leaving riders there. They were follow by 510 CLRV, ALRV, 4409 and 4410.

I end up walking from Union to the waterfront as the line up at Union was backup to the east end of the platform and have never seen this long line up before the rebuilt. 509 was more like missing in action.

Stop by Main station to have a look at the new fare gates and they were putting yellow and blue tape down on both sides of the gate. The Sherbourne turnstiles are all gone and waiting new ones. Basely the same I saw in Europe.

All the overhead east of Charlotte loop on Adelaide have been removed, except the wires between the poles over the roads. The plainer is on site with the last of the top coat concrete pour for all the track. Only a small section has to be pour to fill the gap in the road on Charlotte.

They built more tracks to the west of Charlotte than the east on King St past the switches.

So the thought occurred to me today. Why does the Bathurst streetcar end at Bloor?

Why not St. Clair, Eglinton or even Lawrence?

How can that be true, when all the St. Clair cars take it every day?

they typically do it empty. I herd something about a CLRV or ALRV getting stuck because of wet leaves on the track and they don't want to chance having vehicles get stuck and not be able to run St. Clair. Probably if we add more Flexes they could possibly consider it.

More likely because the ALRV's can't make up the hill. The CLRV's could.

However, with the opening of the Bloor-Danforth subway, bus service was extended south to the Bathurst station. This replaced the streetcar service between Bloor and St. Clair.

More likely because the ALRV's can't make up the hill. The CLRV's could.

However, with the opening of the Bloor-Danforth subway, bus service was extended south to the Bathurst station. This replaced the streetcar service between Bloor and St. Clair.

What about the new streetcars? Can they handle that grade with passengers?

We doubtless all remember the TTC's attempts a few years ago to stop people standing on the right and walking on the left on subway escalators. Here is what is happening in London. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-when-tfl-forced-commuters-to-stand-not-walk/
It's very different there though.

The theory is, that the escalators could carry more capacity if people stand, is because there, there stations are very deep, sometimes with well over one hundred stairs. So most people stand, and only a few walk.

The theory doesn't hold for relatively short escalators, like in Toronto, where there's as many walking as standing.

What about the new streetcars? Can they handle that grade with passengers?
I'm not believing the CLRVs couldn't handle that grade with passengers.

This is an interesting article why the stand-only escalators were given a trial in London. It seems counter-intuitive to me, but apparently it worked: "An escalator that carried 12,745 customers between 8.30 and 9.30am in a normal week, for example, carried 16,220 when it was designated standing only."

Of course, once they no longer had staff at the station encouraging people to stand only, commuters immediately reverted to the old patterns.

The hill on Bathurst is too steep for the current fleet to use regularly.

they typically do it empty. I herd something about a CLRV or ALRV getting stuck because of wet leaves on the track and they don't want to chance having vehicles get stuck and not be able to run St. Clair. Probably if we add more Flexes they could possibly consider it.

Not even remotely true. The Cs are designed to push or pull a disabled like car up the hill, and do so on a not-completely-infrequent basis. And the Flexities are designed to do the same.

ALRVs can make it up the hill without difficulty, but the reason why they are not permitted up there is because a C can not push an A up the hill if it were to die.

Anyways, the reason why the Bathurst line ends at Bloor is because the travel patterns along Bathurst mostly funnel into the subway there. Most of the traffic continues through St. Clair and Eglinton, thus it would be more of a hindrance then a help to extend the streetcars north.

Of course, the Bathurst car did use to run up to St. Clair prior to the opening of the subway - but it also turned west along Adelaide to make its way into downtown. And there was a plan to extend the service north to Eglinton, which was obviously far enough along that when the bridge over the Cedarvale Ravine was built in the 1930s that it was designed to handle two streetcar tracks running up the middle of it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This is an interesting article why the stand-only escalators were given a trial in London. It seems counter-intuitive to me, but apparently it worked: "An escalator that carried 12,745 customers between 8.30 and 9.30am in a normal week, for example, carried 16,220 when it was designated standing only."

Of course, once they no longer had staff at the station encouraging people to stand only, commuters immediately reverted to the old patterns.

it is not really that hard to understand (although it took me a while ;) )

For simplistic example....let's say a two person-wide escalator has a typical pattern of 75% standees and 25% climbers.

If you encourage the standees to keep right....you are clearing a lane for 25% of people....yes those 25% of people will clear faster but that only matters (from a capacity point of view) if there is an equal number of people waiting to fill the gap they clear faster.

Surely I can't be the only person who has witnessed escalators with lineups of people inching along to get on and "keep right" with a virtually clear left side....that is unused capacity and if those people "felt" like they could get on and stand at the left each step would have two people on it instead of one.

Yeah, I get the logic - and that article I posted goes into way too much detail as to why it works. I wasn't really clear in my post above - I said counter-intuitive because whenever I am in London a steady stream people seem to be rushing past me on the left (my perceptions presumably influenced by the fact that I am in slow-moving-holiday mode and have no intention myself of walking up those long escalators, so I am always struck by how many people do). I probably ought to have said that my perceptions (a steady stream of walkers moving far more quickly than the standers) don't correspond to reality.

Surely I can't be the only person who has witnessed escalators with lineups of people inching along to get on and "keep right" with a virtually clear left side....that is unused capacity and if those people "felt" like they could get on and stand at the left each step would have two people on it instead of one.
I can't recall ever seeing this in Toronto, when there's a line at the bottom to get on the escalator.

Where have you seen this? There always seem equal number of people boarding to go left or right. If not more to the left, with the higher capacity.

But in Toronto, the escalator typically only replaces a stair case of 15-20 or so steps. Rather than the 150 you might see in London. So the number of people willing to walk on the escalator in London is very, very, different than here.

Back