News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Just like heating, accessible air conditioning needs to be treated as a safety feature, and not merely a luxury feature. With climate change and our aging population, it will be increasingly common for Torontonians to be hospitalized or die from heat related conditions.
You should tell that to the tube! And maybe Vancouver and Montreal too! I wonder how people are surviving in those old 60s and 70s trains under those tunnels in Montreal. At least their tunnels are filled with hot air created by all the AC units from the trains.

Instead of just tackling the AC directly, TTC should really tackle their line management. John Tory should be taught how TTC is operating the subway and how it compares to others. TTC needs a head down review of the entire subway system. Maybe it's time for enforcement and catch those to jams the door to squeeze in. Those are the people creating line problems in the first place causing break downs and backlogs.

Except the daily activities of the city requires the subway to function - and being underground, heating and the lack of ventilation makes for a dangerous combination.

AoD

While I don't disagree............

I have to say..........even though I'm not that old, I do remember when no subways in this City had a/c, somehow, we all managed.

To be clear, it wasn't pleasant. But for most people, it was 20 minutes out of the day (x 2).

Given a choice, I'd much rather have a good night's sleep.

That said, I'm all for providing a/c in every situation where it may be highly desirable/necessary.

You should tell that to the tube! And maybe Vancouver and Montreal too! I wonder how people are surviving in those old 60s and 70s trains under those tunnels in Montreal. At least their tunnels are filled with hot air created by all the AC units from the trains.

Instead of just tackling the AC directly, TTC should really tackle their line management. John Tory should be taught how TTC is operating the subway and how it compares to others. TTC needs a head down review of the entire subway system. Maybe it's time for enforcement and catch those to jams the door to squeeze in. Those are the people creating line problems in the first place causing break downs and backlogs.

Montréal's Metro trains are not air conditioned, at all. See link. I've been on those trains in the summer, and they are all very hot in summer.

The new trains will not have air conditioning. The STM has claimed the structure of the metro system does not allow for it.

Azur's technology, however, will generate considerably less heat compared to the traditional metro trains. The new metro cars can also transform their own heat into additional electricity for the network.

It's the first day that King Street will be closed in rush hour for TIFF.

It looks like because of construction, Queen Street is closed to streetcars west of Spadina, but King is closed east of Spadina. All streetcars must take King west of Spadina but then either detour onto Queen or terminate.

This is a terrible, terrible idea.

It's the first day that King Street will be closed in rush hour for TIFF.

It looks like because of construction, Queen Street is closed to streetcars west of Spadina, but King is closed east of Spadina. All streetcars must take King west of Spadina but then either detour onto Queen or terminate.

This is a terrible, terrible idea.
Of course it is - if you think so I suggest you email Mr Tory at mayor_tory@toronto.ca

While I don't disagree............
I have to say..........even though I'm not that old, I do remember when no subways in this City had a/c, somehow, we all managed.
To be clear, it wasn't pleasant. But for most people, it was 20 minutes out of the day (x 2).
Given a choice, I'd much rather have a good night's sleep.
That said, I'm all for providing a/c in every situation where it may be highly desirable/necessary.

You'd be lucky to get from say Kipling to Y+B in 20 minutes these days. It ain't the subway system that was - and extreme heat isn't a (or will likely be) one-off anymore. We all know what med-CAS lead to - even further delays and greater potential for more CASes.

AoD

Last edited:
Of course it is - if you think so I suggest you email Mr Tory at mayor_tory@toronto.ca

There are going to be only 2 streetcar lines running normally this weekend (505 Dundas and 510 Spadina). 501 Queen and 506 Carlton are being detoured for construction and 512 St Clair is partially replaced by buses for construction. 509 Harbourfront and 511 Bathurst are shortened and the western end is replaced with buses due to construction. 504 King is being split in two for TIFF and 514 Cherry is being detoured for TIFF. 506 Carlton is being detoured for "Cabbagetown Festival".

The excessive number of road closures and their negative effect on streetcar service has become a big problem in Toronto.

Toronto has been an absolute zoo for the past few weeks transit wise. There have street closures everywhere, construction at various points downtown, streetcar detours, replacement buses, and subway closures requiring shuttle buses. Add to all that all the students going back to school, weekend baseball games, and a major film festival; I really dont know how anyone can get to any point of this city on time these days.

Toronto has been an absolute zoo for the past few weeks transit wise. There have street closures everywhere, construction at various points downtown, streetcar detours, replacement buses, and subway closures requiring shuttle buses. Add to all that all the students going back to school, weekend baseball games, and a major film festival; I really dont know how anyone can get to any point of this city on time these days.

They can - only by walking. Anyways, I think we have reached the limits of surface transit for trunk lines in the core area of the city. Time to ditch the nostalgia.

AoD

Last edited:
GREAT article. Thanks for finding and posting it.

Palmer said crew members drive in from as far as Kingston and St. Catharines every day, but admits there’s “high absenteeism” among drivers. Eight drivers on one line called in to work on Aug. 19 for an “emergency day of vacation,” he said.

One can only hope it became a permanent one.

AoD

They can - only by walking. Anyways, I think we have reached the limits of surface transit for trunk lines in the core area of the city. Time to ditch the nostalgia.

AoD

My belief as well. I'll still support streetcars, and keeping the same lines through the core. But it was deduced over six decades ago that streetcars traveling on-street doesn't exactly work well through the very heart of the city. This is why I won't support a King transit mall until:

a) I know for certain that a RL/Queen Line is shovel ready (going a helluva lot farther west than University Ave).
b) We finally decide to trench/cut-cover/tunnel either the 501, 504, 505, or 506
c) Waterfront transit is sorted out (using significantly more grade-separation than the original proposal).

Somehow the Crosstown got a multi-billion dollar 10km tunnel, a plan which really came out of the blue. So I don't think 2-3km of trench or tunnel through the core should be too much to ask. Been on the books one way or another for decades.

I expected passenger alarm. I didn't expect "MEDICAL AID REFUSED". I guess the #1 cause is people hitting the alarm for the sake of others then?

I am not surprised - I think a good chunk of them are riders fainting.

Somehow the Crosstown got a multi-billion dollar 10km tunnel, a plan which really came out of the blue. So I don't think 2-3km of trench or tunnel through the core should be too much to ask. Been on the books one way or another for decades.

And unlike the Crosstown, these lines can shallow and cut and covered, and use the upcoming rolling stock.

AoD

Back