News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

"Privately operated" means the shareholders want a dividend that pays more than a GIC. That's over and above the profits they expect.

York Region pays it's private operators $4.49 a fare. The TTC gets $0.78 per ride, the lowest in North America. See link.
YRT fare are expensive because buses run half empty with very low ridership not because they are privately operated. If the LRT are privately operated, the cost could be included in the project where Queen's Park would foot the bill instead of TTC riders. Today's report release just proves yet again Queen's Park is willing to pay for some of the operating costs outside of Toronto and $0 for TTC operations.

TTC has sent out letters to schools on their fare policies. Looks like they're starting to ticket high school students claiming to be 12.
Good luck asking a mature build 10 year old for ID. They should have started with a child photo ID card is required to get a free ride (act as an unlimited travel pass). Children tourists should pay a fare cause Toronto's tax dollars shouldn't be used to cover tourists and 905 regions. Many places have special passes only available to their citizens, TTC shouldn't give every kid a free ride. Letting them onboard and inspecting them later is just plain stupid and waste of resources.

"Privately operated" means the shareholders want a dividend that pays more than a GIC. That's over and above the profits they expect.

York Region pays it's private operators $4.49 a fare. The TTC gets $0.78 per ride, the lowest in North America. See link.

fyi...a dividend comes out of profit. I am totally lost in what you are trying to say in the first sentence.

A shareholder wants a return equal to a risk-based yield. This return is a combination of dividends and capital growth. For a transit plan the more risk to push to the private operator the higher return they will demand.

Since the TTC has a horrid track record of managing financial and non-financial risk the return that the shareholder demands may offset the financial cost of keeping the risk in the TTC. The financial and non-financial risks that can be transferred to a private operator may include labour, maintenance, capital overruns, management, volume of traffic, on-time performance, cleanliness, etc.

The best way to privatize is to first determine the expected cost of running the system in the future and the variability that may increase or decrease it by zone. Each zone (e.g. bus yards) is placed up for tender via a Dutch auction. Only if the private operator is willing to run the system for less than the expected public system would it be privatized.

Not rocket science. And why aren't we at least willing to try it out? Because the empire builders at TTC are worried about their cozy jobs.

Good luck asking a mature build 10 year old for ID. They should have started with a child photo ID card is required to get a free ride (act as an unlimited travel pass). Children tourists should pay a fare cause Toronto's tax dollars shouldn't be used to cover tourists and 905 regions. Many places have special passes only available to their citizens, TTC shouldn't give every kid a free ride. Letting them onboard and inspecting them later is just plain stupid and waste of resources.

TTC Student fare is only for students enrolled in the two school boards in Toronto as they pay part of the cost of it.

TTC Student fare is only for students enrolled in the two school boards in Toronto as they pay part of the cost of it.

Can you cite a source for that? According to the TTC's website it is, in fact, for any person ages 13-19; people aged 13-15 inclusive do not have to show any ID, and people aged 16-19 inclusive can show any government-issued photo ID such as a photo card or driver's license with their age.

Can you cite a source for that? According to the TTC's website it is, in fact, for any person ages 13-19; people aged 13-15 inclusive do not have to show any ID, and people aged 16-19 inclusive can show any government-issued photo ID such as a photo card or driver's license with their age.
I know in the past family I've had from out of town tried to buy student tickets and were told only students in Toronto can use them. Students using them now use their school issued student id cards. Back when I was in high school you had to have a TTC student card to use them and could only get them at the school on photo day or at shereborne station.

I think we need a Trump-style BS de-bunking fact-checker here. :)

I know in the past family I've had from out of town tried to buy student tickets and were told only students in Toronto can use them. Students using them now use their school issued student id cards. Back when I was in high school you had to have a TTC student card to use them and could only get them at the school on photo day or at shereborne station.

I recall something like that being the case, I think they overhauled the student fare rules a few years ago--that could explain it. Definitely free for all now--you don't even technically have to be a student, period, since it's 13-19 inclusive you can use it right up until 20.

The Queen streetcar will be on diversion tomorrow, during rush hour, so that a retailer could do a Christmas window reveal 2 months before Christmas.

501_HBC_031116.gif

Where is 'not like ' on this website? Playing games with people's commutes is nonsense. The girls in my office get so stressed by being late. They stress about being late in the morning, and about picking up kids at night.

This diversion is garbage. So is making 'movie street' or 'movie village' or whatever the hell it is on King during TIFF. Closing transit lines for anything but maintenance is a terrible practice that is not going to produce more transit riders, or give existing ones more confidence.

I condemn this practice absolutely.

Last edited:
TTC service to Exhibition Place restricted until new year

November 3, 2016

As the Royal Winter Fair gets underway tomorrow, the TTC is reminding customers that road closures within Exhibition Place are restricting TTC vehicles from entering the grounds until Jan. 20, 2017.

The staging of events at BMO Field, including the NHL Centennial Classic and the Grey Cup, is impacting the following routes:

- 29 Dufferin - all branches are turning back north at the Dufferin Gate Loop.
- 329 Dufferin - all night buses are running to Dufferin Gate Loop, then diverting in both directions via Dufferin, Liberty, and East Liberty Sts., Strachan Ave., Manitoba Dr. and Canada Blvd. to Princes' Gates Loop.
- 509 Harbourfront - turning back east at Fleet Loop.
- 511 Bathurst - turning back east at Fleet Loop.

With construction on the Exhibition Loop ongoing, shuttle buses are providing service on the 509 and 511 routes along Fleet St., between the Fleet St. Loop and Princes' Gates Loop, located at the intersection of Strachan Ave. and Fleet St.

Back