News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

"I'm not paying for groceries until shoplifting is stamped out everywhere, for ever, unless a mall cop is looking at me in which case I will"
We all remember people stealing food from Chinatown supermarkets everyday and the owner can't do anything till Harper change the law for civil arrest. All supermarkets have to factor in a lost but as long as they can keep that lost low, they can do their business.

How would the undercover wannabees discern if you didn't tap because you have a metropass?
No problems cause when the uniformed inspectors arrive, they'll ask for your pass/transfer. They would just watch people who have been on board that just tapped when they see inspectors. The case I mention people could do a few posts earlier by tapping and paying only when the see inspectors.

If a metropass is added to a card. Does it even matter if they tap or not? TTC could enforce people to tap even with a metropass but if they don't they can't be fined cause they already paid.

Also, the TTC doesn't seen keen with selling limited use (paper) presto card from yesterday's board meeting. They'll want to reserve them for social agencies, schools and special visitors pass and probably sell them at limited locations only or special orders. They are also still considering getting rid of cash fares all together.

Why? They put the machines right beside the door.

Why not? We don't put machines on subway car for a reason. As fast as the response is, it still takes time - if you can move the bulk of the taps to groundside it helps to expedite riders movement and by extension, the speed at which boarding and trip continuation can occur.

AoD

Also, the TTC doesn't seen keen with selling limited use (paper) presto card from yesterday's board meeting. They'll want to reserve them for social agencies, schools and special visitors pass and probably sell them at limited locations only or special orders. They are also still considering getting rid of cash fares all together.

How are people who don't have a contactless credit card or Presto Card (i.e. many visitors) supposed to use the TTC then?

But what if I have a paper transfer in my pocket and got on the rear doors?

There won't be paper transfers either. The current plan is that absolutely all payment will involve tap-capable media, including disposable paper "temporary presto cards". Everyone will have to tap every time they board a vehicle or enter a station. There will no longer be such a thing as leaving your POP in your pocket.

Per the discussion above there is now some doubt as to whether the disposable paper Presto cards will happen, but I haven't heard official, final confirmation to that effect, and a new fare policy would need to be created if that happens. As of now, the official, confirmed plan is for everybody to receive a tap card.

This is how MTR in HK dealt with the single use smart card issue:

If there is no end goal of collecting the used cards, all you need is the first half of the system.

AoD

Last edited:

Back