News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

In terms of the new Presto fare gates I had an interesting thought, why don't they remain open at all times like in Japan (they have this transit thing figured out pretty well XD), that way the gate only closes if a car isn't tapped and someone tries to walk through. The new gates have a awkward delay which means you can't continue to walk straight through when you tap this would fix that and seriously improve the flow at rush hour.

Logically, if they have a delay opening, there would likely be one closing as well. I have heard people complain that the IR-sensor-triggered opening for passengers exiting is also considered a bit laggy, so someone could be mostly through the gate and just get scraped by it as it closes. And the delay will be identical to that of entering once tap-out is required.

Personally, I've said this many times, but I really don't find there to be any significant delay either on tapping in or walking out. With the old turnstiles, you have to slow down a bit to go through them, I think a lot of people are conveniently forgetting that--with the faregates, if you're walking fast towards them and don't break stride, yeah, you have to stop because it seems like it's delayed, but realistically you can traverse a faregate faster than a turnstile, not to mention if you have baggage on you.

I can see the delayed closing, but what I was thinking is that you end up having significantly less delay because I think we can assume a relatively small number of taps fail/ people just try to walk on XD.

Sorry, maybe I was unclear. My point is that at that point you might as well not have faregates at all, because if they close too late to stop people from entering without tapping, then why have a faregate at all? If the purpose of faregates is to deter fare evasion by making people pay to enter the station (unless they want to hop over), they need to be closed by default, unless the can close fast enough to stop someone, which they can't.

In terms of the new Presto fare gates I had an interesting thought, why don't they remain open at all times like in Japan (they have this transit thing figured out pretty well XD), that way the gate only closes if a car isn't tapped and someone tries to walk through. The new gates have a awkward delay which means you can't continue to walk straight through when you tap this would fix that and seriously improve the flow at rush hour.
Not all TTC stations are as heavily used as the stations in Japan are plus buses and Streetcars pull into a lot of stations inside of the fare paid area as well. Other then at Union it would just lead to fare evasion.

I was on a old streetcar that announced its route to people outside like the new streetcars - is this part of the rebuild for the old streetcars?

All TTC Vehicles must have outside speakers in 2017, regardless when they retire.

Surprise 510 is so low when I see far more evasion taking place there.
Carlton most popular streetcar route for fare dodgers
Those aren't actual fare evasion numbers but fare evasion incident rate from inspection. If fare inspection was uniform across the entire system, whatever is reported by inspectors would be closer to the real evasion rate. Since inspectors on the 510 mostly stand at the terminals, real fare evaders would be aware and wouldn't even go there. Fare evasion could be much higher on trips between stops in between as I never seen them ever check on a streetcar. Then again, if they keep constantly checking on the 510 cars itself, fare evaders would avoid them. TTC isn't going to earn that money either way. TTC doesn't earn money from a ticket either.

East-west routes are more prone to fare evasion as many people just take one streetcar home. They should focus on those routes. If TTC was smart, they'll just install fare gates at Spadina and Union. The 509/510 would benefit from POP but fare evasion wouldn't get a free ride into the subway. Inspectors could be deployed on other routes instead of standing at the station when the job could be otherwise done by a few fare gates. Once presto is rolled out and one ride RFID tickets can be purchased from on-board vending machines, tapping in would be simple.

Screenshot from 2016-12-18 10-41-54.png
It doesn't need to be a Bilbao fosterito decked out in curved glass either. Nice, but not necessary.

AoD

A small version of this would be apt.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-12-18 10-41-54.png
    Screenshot from 2016-12-18 10-41-54.png
    942.8 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Surprise 510 is so low when I see far more evasion taking place there.
Carlton most popular streetcar route for fare dodgers
They could have done a survey of how many patrons had mismatched socks and got just as accurate a result. The methodology of this would make a pollster blush, and polling is a recognized math analysis given certain parameters, and yet still wildly wrong in many cases.

I'm astounded that the results weren't questioned by the author.

When paying for the fare for 510 Spadina and 509 Harbourfront, it would be great if the receipts printed out of the machines (as well as when the Presto card is used) had a special QR code, which would allow them to be used as transfers at automated fare gates.

What the TTC needs is sustained funding from both Queen's Park and Ottawa. As for John Tory, he's just another idiot obsessed with "balancing the budget" through finding "efficiencies". Other cities in Canada and the US subsidize public transit because they recognize the value of a robust public transit system to corporations looking to relocate. A modern urban infrastructure means more jobs.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/12/18/andy-byford-ttc-budget-not-sustainable.html

What the TTC needs is sustained funding from both Queen's Park and Ottawa. As for John Tory, he's just another idiot obsessed with "balancing the budget" through finding "efficiencies". Other cities in Canada and the US subsidize public transit because they recognize the value of a robust public transit system to corporations looking to relocate. A modern urban infrastructure means more jobs.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/12/18/andy-byford-ttc-budget-not-sustainable.html
Not just that, but the TTC needs to hire more people to do data entry/GIS as well, especially given that there's a shortage of good entry-level office jobs.

Here's a radical way for the TTC to raise funds: the TTC could start up a special lottery, just like the various hospital lotteries. To prevent issues of problem gambling, each ticket would cost $100 and be limited to a maximum of ten tickets per individual (or per household) per year.

Back