News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Last summer they built new ramps etc at the (proposed) Ontario eastbound stop.
It was before that. I can see the new ramp in Google Streetview for April 2015 - almost 2 years ago! I can't remember if it was put in early 2015 or late 2014.

It was before that. I can see the new ramp in Google Streetview for April 2015 - almost 2 years ago! I can't remember if it was put in early 2015 or late 2014.
I guess I am running on TTC Time! (Bottom line they are NOT moving fast to finish this off.)

I heard that ATU Local 113 was looking to leave ATU, possibly joining another labour union. Unifor (formerly CAW) represents a few transit workers' locals in Canada (Grand River Transit comes to mind), and CUPE represents TTC special constables and fare inspectors.

Yes, there was some reference to that, but the ATU takeover doesn't strike me as particularly legitimate or democratic (as much as I am glad the current leaders got swept away)

AoD

Last edited:
True, though the benevolence of the liberators remains to be seen.

AoD
It's a bit like watching a gangster movie, and figuring out who the good guys are....if in fact there are any. With the court case pending in two weeks, I suspect a lot more light will be shone where light doesn't normally shine...

https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects/Improving-safety_str/index.jsp

What is the status of this?

I still see a lot of stops on Queen ridiculously close together.

The stops before and after University westbound on Queen are so close I can see whether or not the Presto reader is functional from the next stop. (its not)

The list is not entirely complete ... there are a couple cut outs for the ramp of the new streetcar in the beaches that are not near any stops.

The mayor problem with the removal of closely spaced stops are the NIMBYs and Councillors who get upset of the invasion of their fiefdoms by aliens outside of their neighbourhood. They would love to put a wall or create a gated community to prevent that.

Gated_Community_Cartoon2_h600.jpg

The mayor problem with the removal of closely spaced stops are the NIMBYs and Councillors who get upset of the invasion of their fiefdoms by aliens outside of their neighbourhood. They would love to put a wall or create a gated community to prevent that.

I think you are being a bit unfair, some stops proposed for removal were really useful and avoided crossing major roads etc. In fact, if you look at some of Steve Munro's analyses you can clearly see that removing stops has done zero to speed up service.

I think you are being a bit unfair, some stops proposed for removal were really useful and avoided crossing major roads etc. In fact, if you look at some of Steve Munro's analyses you can clearly see that removing stops has done zero to speed up service.
There's a push to make the system more accessible and elder-friendly. Those are the people that are more vulnerable to traffic when getting off streetcars and crossing the road. Traditionally back in the 19th century, transit and streetcar stop spacing were designed to serve those that improves economy oppose to those that don't currently contribute. Economically that would be the better option. Morally, it's not. Now that we're in the 21th century, the stops is being updated to serve everyone and ensure their safety cause everyone matters.

Some of the stops located between crosswalks or intersections are removed to improve safety for the 1% while inconveniencing the 99% that uses that stop. Some of the downtown ones are just too close together. Of course TTC does a one system fits all and decides on a list and announces it without getting community feedback. The backlash leads to certain stops being retained like the one at Queen/Victoria.

Back