News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This was the first time seeing these digital destination signs on the sides of trains. What's the timeline on these becoming operational?

IMG_20170211_134509.jpg

IMG_20170211_134525.jpg
They are still in the test phase. There is a Rocket train with them too. Occasionally you will see the sign working. This T1 car has also been fitted with CCTV.

Really don't understand the point of putting them on the Line 2 trains. 9 times out of ten, it's going to Kennedy or Kipling.
It's probably going to be needed more often than any of us think with the never ending delays the TTC has every day. That and the fact that this is something that the AODA mandates.

They are still in the test phase. There is a Rocket train with them too. Occasionally you will see the sign working. This T1 car has also been fitted with CCTV.

There's actually another T1 train that has this installed, so I believe it's being rolled out slowly.

Line 1 has its yard located between Wilson and Downsview Stations (currently). Once a train gets to Downsview, it can go out-of-service and move into the yard.

With the yard on Line 2 being between Donlands and Greenwood Stations, I can see them putting up a destination sign displaying either "DONLANDS" or "GREENWOOD" (depending on the direction of the train) before going out-of-service.

Once Line 1 is extended, I can see them requiring a destination sign for use on that line.

Let's hope they display more than just amber serif fonts.
Probably not as the current color and font are easy for most poel to read at distance that's why they were chose over the greenish yellow they first used when the switched to LED signs on buses. Plus also the Orange is bright enough to be seen in all light conditions.

It will be a shame if Andy moves on since he still has 5 years of work to turn TTC around yet.

Will be no surprise to see good old Dougie running for mayor and win. It only will put transit back another 10-15 years with him in office and building more white elephants.

Last edited:
Brad Ross ‏@bradTTC 1h1 hour ago
Reports of CEO Andy Byford leaving the #TTC for Australia are erroneous. Leaders of Andy's caliber are frequently approached by others.
https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/831112713875181568

Glad to see him staying (though honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he left either, given the amount of BS that position has to take).

EDIT - from the Star:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...byford-not-leaving-toronto-for-australia.html

AoD
Yes, Byford and his team are (slowly) improving the TTC and dragging it into the late 20th century. It would be VERY unfortunate to see him, or some of his hires, leaving but it really must be VERY frustrating to work for a Board/Council who second-guess the experts, refuse to invest in transit and give priority to cars, are wary of trying new things (timed transfers!) and generally f*** things up!

Yes, Byford and his team are (slowly) improving the TTC and dragging it into the late 20th century. It would be VERY unfortunate to see him, or some of his hires, leaving but it really must be VERY frustrating to work for a Board/Council who second-guess the experts, refuse to invest in transit and give priority to cars, are wary of trying new things (timed transfers!) and generally f*** things up!

I would amend it to Board/Council/Union/Province/own staff. What Toronto need isn't a CEO, but a Tzar.

AoD

Back