News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Time to scape these screens and go with a new style like the extension ones and place them in between the stations columns for non centre platforms. Centre platforms would be on the wall of the tunnel since they can be thin these days.

Show the first 3 train times like the extension ones.

You can put back to back screens between the columns in the centre of the stations for non centre platforms

A nice idea but for outdoor stations like Rosedale and Davisville the current setup is sturdier and best. A single thin TV would get destroyed in any sort of storm.

As for column mounted screens for side platforms. That is an accident waiting to happen. I can see them being clipped by a train or never cleaned after accumulating brake dust or worse.. human remains from a P1

When is Union going to get next train displays? Amazing that they spent all that time, money, and hassle renovating the station, up until the TYSSE opening it had the newest interior of any station, and IIRC it's either the only or one out of two or three stations in the entire TTC that doesn't have screens. Every couple of months they say they're being installed but it never seems to happen.

There is one, at least on the Northbound to Finch platform. Its located on the eastern end of the platform, mounted on a pillar next to the Streetcar Platform entrance.

By the way when will we see Pantos in use on the streetcars, wasn't that supposed to happen eons ago.

They are using them on the 509 currently but the other routes do not have the proper overhead to make it work. It would be like powering your home using speaker wire, possible but not a good idea and don't tell your insurance company.

They are using them on the 509 currently but the other routes do not have the proper overhead to make it work. It would be like powering your home using speaker wire, possible but not a good idea and don't tell your insurance company.
510, 511 and 512 are 100% ready. I am assuming they fix the problem at Bloor loop for 510 by now.

The Queensway and Lake Shore are ready west of Sunnyside. Can't speak to the loops since I haven't had a look at them in months. Mainly the hold up is for intersections on King & Queen, but there are a number of other intersections as well.

Until King & Queen 100% complete, stopping pans from being used on 510, 511 and 512. Not sure if King/Queen/Roncy intersection will be done this year or put on hold until next year when the intersection is rebuilt. Starting next month if things are on track, Roncy yard is close for rebuilt with overhead being done west of Roncy on the Queensway up to the rebuilt section and in the yard.

510, 511 and 512 are 100% ready. I am assuming they fix the problem at Bloor loop for 510 by now.

The Queensway and Lake Shore are ready west of Sunnyside. Can't speak to the loops since I haven't had a look at them in months. Mainly the hold up is for intersections on King & Queen, but there are a number of other intersections as well.

Until King & Queen 100% complete, stopping pans from being used on 510, 511 and 512. Not sure if King/Queen/Roncy intersection will be done this year or put on hold until next year when the intersection is rebuilt. Starting next month if things are on track, Roncy yard is close for rebuilt with overhead being done west of Roncy on the Queensway up to the rebuilt section and in the yard.

That makes little sense. If they do things like they do on the 509 they could run the 512 on Pantographs. They would have to switch to poles at the loops before they leave or enter service on the line. Is the section of track between St Clair and Bloor pantograph enabled?

That makes little sense. If they do things like they do on the 509 they could run the 512 on Pantographs. They would have to switch to poles at the loops before they leave or enter service on the line. Is the section of track between St Clair and Bloor pantograph enabled?
Until 512 is 100% new cars, no pans from what I was told. Where do you raise/lower the pans??

Everything on Bathurst is pan ready from St Clair south. Even Hillcrest is pan ready.

Until 512 is 100% new cars, no pans from what I was told.

Everything on Bathurst is pan ready from St Clair south. Even Hillcrest is pan ready.

THAT makes sense. Best not to mix them up incase something goes horribly wrong. Nothing worse than arcing.

CP24 is designed for those whose memory is as long as a goldfish, hence the numerous repetitions.

CP24 is designed for those whose memory is as long as a goldfish, hence the numerous repetitions.

It is a shame the TTC cannot (or will not) eliminate the ad portion of the screens and just put a next train arrival display instead. Not that I am not a fan of trips to Cuba or drunk driving but the screens can be better utilised.

All that is useful is the time, the weather and the status of the next train. No need for sports scores, news or all that other stuff. If Trump goes insane and decides to nuke us back to the stone age I prefer not to know.

Aren’t the screens provided by Pattison? They used to be but I haven’t noticed lately. We used to use Pattison in our condo, and there is only so much control that the end user has on what is displayed.

Aren’t the screens provided by Pattison? They used to be but I haven’t noticed lately. We used to use Pattison in our condo, and there is only so much control that the end user has on what is displayed.

Yes BUT on the TYSSE they had next train arrival signs, dedicated signs on each platform. These were not one stop signs, merely signs saying when the next 3 trains would arrive. They were far more useful than onestop and MUCH better than the Subway Online signs.

It's not just about current capacity: A panto will flat out rip a trolley system down, and a trolley system will quickly wear a groove in a pantograph.

To the first point: Everywhere there's a switch there's a special gizmo on the wiring called a frog that allows the trolley pole to follow one path or the other. A panto will snag on these without the addition of 'gliders' which allow it to safely pass underneath. To the second point: A trolley wire stays directly above the track center line, whereas a panto wire zig-zags to avoid wearing a groove in the pantograph.

The TTC's re-wiring for pantos both changes the geometry of the system to add the necessary zig-zag, adds gliders to all the frogs, and removes any obstacles beside the contact wire that a trolley pole would never touch but that pantos are at risk of snagging. I believe it also beefs up the current capacity of the wire, addressing your analogy of using speaker wires to power your home.

These and other details are well documented in this presentation: https://www.apta.com/mc/rail/previous/2016rail/presentations/Presentations/PWhite.pdf

Last edited:
It's not just about current capacity: A panto will flat out rip a trolley system down, and a trolley system will quickly wear a groove in a pantograph.

To the first point: Everywhere there's a switch there's a special gizmo on the wiring called a frog that allows the trolley poll to follow one path or the other. A panto will snag on these without the addition of 'gliders' which allow it to safely pass underneath.

Nitpick - gliders only need to be used at locations with old frogs. There are new frog designs that the TTC has installed at several locations that have sliders built into them to allow pantographs to pass under them safely.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Hey guys, planning to do a speedrun of every TTC Subway/RT station on the weekend starting at Kipling and ending at VMC is there a current record time?
What would the route be though? Kipling to Kennedy, Kennedy to McCowan, McCowan to Kennedy, Kennedy to Bloor-Yonge, Bloor-Yonge to Finch, and Finch to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre? Is it permitted to drive from McCowan to Finch?

Back