News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Using transit New Year Eve was the pits.

Since we aren't party animals, I decided we show someone some of the new transit changes since their last visited 15 years ago, since everything was free, but it went south starting at Islington after parking the car.

Arrived at Islington after 7 pm to see a number of enforcers on the concourse level and knew something was up. Then we heard no subway east of Islington with shuttle buses up stair, considering trains were running between Islington and Kipling. One of my party asked what was going on and was told a suicide took place to the east. With us going to Keele to catch the subway by bus, it meant the suicide took place either at Jane or one of the other 2 station east of it. Real surprise to hear someone from TTC giving real info for priority 1 and nice to hear it regardless how sad it is.

Took us a fair amount of time trying to turn onto Keele and then into the loop, with buses backup in front of us. This was supposed to be the 2nd suicide of the day for this area.

Westbound trains were dropping riders off at Keele on the westbound platform and then back out to get to get to the eastbound one that was pack full of riders.

Took the Line 1 to VMC and was planning to stop off at a few others on our way to catch the 21:41 GO Train to Union where we would catch the UPX to the airport and be back at City Hall for Midnight. Time we got to VMC, we had no time to stop off at the other station if we wanted to catch the 21:41 Train. Got to Downsview to see a train sitting there and thought ours had arrived a head of schedule, only to learn it was a northbound waiting to move once a switch issues was clear to the north. The schedule display board show our train was 30 minutes late. It was bitching cold inside of TTC station, even with doors close. About 20 minutes later, the northbound train departed with the schedule board saying our train was to arrived at 22:23 with the 2nd at 22:31.

Decided to get on the subway northbound to 407 station to get warm for a few people. Found 407 warmer than Downsview. Upon arrival back at Downsview, found our 22:23 train cancel and the next train at 22:31. At 22:50, gave up waiting for that 22:31 since it had been saying it was 8 minutes away, since it being saying that since 22:25. We then heard that power was off at Queen due to person on the track and went to catch the subway to Union.

The one thing I noticed on our trip to from VMC, we sat for a few minutes at different station for unknown reason to see the next train board saying train in 1, 8 and 20 or 1, 3, 10. Same as opening day.

The party animals were in full force going to Union with beer bottles and liqueur been pass around openly. Some of them were dress for summer with no winter coats on.

Caught an UPX train that just arrived and was 6 minutes late departing. Staff was doing a headcount when we departed and at all stops. Had to wait extra minutes at both stations and the ride was real rough for the whole trip both ways. Most likely due the the coldness. It was real slow going to the cut off. As we stated to climb, the signals said a southbound was clear which is normal with one passing us. Upon arrival at the airport, we found another train ready to depart with our saying it would depart in 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, the first train departed with ours departing 6 minutes later. The next train screens for northbound was saying trains were 5 minutes a part with Weston being the first one to see a northbound train since our departure.

Got off at Bloor to head to Islington to get the car to go home. Miss City Hall event and no big deal. Everyone of use thought the trip was interesting, but lets not do this again.

What a load of crap, and (as you say) totally off topic.

At this point, if you still think there isn't a major leftist bias on campus, you definitely have no idea of the severity of the problem. Brilliant argued response, though, amazing. Must have picked up those fierce debating skills in the local campus brainwasher pot.

What do you think of the "This is Where" anti-harassment TTC app? I see it advertised throughout the TTC over the past few months.

It's a very interesting idea.

Bad idea. One specific poster I recall seeing was some moral outrage to the tune of "how will mommy explain to Johnny that he saw a penis?" Another manifestation of an over protective culture. Also ripe for abuse with the sexual assault hysteria going around. Like @Megaton327 said, a witch hunt.

Hey everyone!

Just wondering if people had any idea how many of the newly converted automatic entrances will be PRESTO only as opposed to PRESTO/Metropass?

I used the Walmer Road entrance recently and had to walk around to Spadina because I only had a Metropass, soon the Yonge St Automatic Entrance at Yonge Station will be PRESTO only.

Is this going to be a common thing going forward or will they be PRESTO/Metropass? Some of the automatic entrances as per the TTC website are PRESTO/Metropass (St. George St, etc).

Thinking of becoming an early convert to the PRESTO monthly pass for the TTC given how much I use automatic entrances.

Hey everyone!

Just wondering if people had any idea how many of the newly converted automatic entrances will be PRESTO only as opposed to PRESTO/Metropass?

I used the Walmer Road entrance recently and had to walk around to Spadina because I only had a Metropass, soon the Yonge St Automatic Entrance at Yonge Station will be PRESTO only.

Is this going to be a common thing going forward or will they be PRESTO/Metropass? Some of the automatic entrances as per the TTC website are PRESTO/Metropass (St. George St, etc).

Thinking of becoming an early convert to the PRESTO monthly pass for the TTC given how much I use automatic entrances.

I think I recall them tweeting that any automatic entrances converted from this point onwards will be presto-only, and they are only committing to metropass access at 1 entrance of each station. Of course, by the end of 2018 there won't be metropasses anyways.

I think at this point it makes sense to switch to Presto as a metropass user. It's available on all buses and streetcars and at least one entrance of every station, and as you've noted, automatic entrances are going from not accepting presto to only accepting presto. Now that every station takes presto they are going to wrap up these additional entrances in fairly short order. St George and Union are two notable standouts with major automatic entrances that don't take Presto, but I believe construction is starting at those stations within the next month or two. Plus your pass is protected if you lose your card.

St George and Union are two notable standouts with major automatic entrances that don't take Presto, but I believe construction is starting at those stations within the next month or two

That's why I asked. The OISE entrance will be a PRESTO/Metropass Split but the St George St entrance is not mentioned which I find weird.

It sucks for people like me who are on the MDP. I have the option to cancel before renewal which is why I am debating it right now.

I am on the Metropass Discount Plan. I save 13 or so dollars but am up for renewal March 1st.

I would suggest switching over at that time. They recently sold a very limited quantity of the "annual pass" for Presto which was essentially identical to the MDP, just on the card. It was offered at the start of December I think, in limited quantities as a test rollout. They said it would become more widely available in the coming months. By March 1st I am sure it will be widely available enough for you to subscribe to it.

Re-upping an MDP contract on March 1st might get complicated because it is very unlikely Metropasses will be around until next February/March, so if you're subscribed to MDP, there'll be some sort of migration process, and it remains to be seen what that'll look like or how smoothly it'll go. Seems smarter to definitively switch entirely from MDP to Presto in one go, yourself, at that time.

Re-upping an MDP contract on March 1st might get complicated because it is very unlikely Metropasses will be around until next February/March, so if you're subscribed to MDP, there'll be some sort of migration process, and it remains to be seen what that'll look like or how smoothly it'll go. Seems smarter to definitively switch entirely from MDP to Presto in one go, yourself, at that time.

That is what I was thinking. I keep getting notes in my Metropass saying stayed tuned for more information but it lacks anything concrete. You would think they would have more information at this point.

I think this is a new page on TTC website? No really new info but it is all in one place.

New Customer Service Agents at TTC stations
As part of the ongoing modernization and implementation of PRESTO across the system, the TTC is introducing a new Customer Service Agent role. The collector booths you’re familiar with on the TTC today will be closed over the course of the next year.

Starting Sunday, December 17, Customer Service Agents will be in all stations on the Line 1 extension to York Region, and at Sheppard West and Wilson stations. And next year, you’ll start seeing Customer Service Agents at more and more stations throughout the system.

If there is no collector booth, how do I pay my fare?
  • PRESTO: Simply tap your PRESTO card at one of the modern, paddle-style fare gates.
  • Tickets, tokens and Metropasses: You can pay using any of these, but you won’t be able to purchase these fare types at any of the new Line 1 extension stations.
  • Cash: You can pay with cash, but be sure to have exact fare handy.
You will be able to buy and load your PRESTO card at each station.

Who do I speak to if I need help or have a question?
A Customer Service Agent would be pleased to help you answer your question or direct you to where you purchase and pay your fare.

See: http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/PRESTO/New_Customer_Service_Agents_at_TTC_stations.jsp

See: http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/PRESTO/New_Customer_Service_Agents_at_TTC_stations.jsp

Look for someone in a TTC uniform beside the fare gates and they would be more than happy to assist you.

What if I need help right away or have an emergency?
In an emergency, go to the Passenger Assistance Intercom located beside the fare gates and push the button to speak with someone immediately.

I think this is a new page on TTC website? No really new info but it is all in one place.

New Customer Service Agents at TTC stations
As part of the ongoing modernization and implementation of PRESTO across the system, the TTC is introducing a new Customer Service Agent role. The collector booths you’re familiar with on the TTC today will be closed over the course of the next year.

Starting Sunday, December 17, Customer Service Agents will be in all stations on the Line 1 extension to York Region, and at Sheppard West and Wilson stations. And next year, you’ll start seeing Customer Service Agents at more and more stations throughout the system.

If there is no collector booth, how do I pay my fare?
  • PRESTO: Simply tap your PRESTO card at one of the modern, paddle-style fare gates.
  • Tickets, tokens and Metropasses: You can pay using any of these, but you won’t be able to purchase these fare types at any of the new Line 1 extension stations.
  • Cash: You can pay with cash, but be sure to have exact fare handy.
You will be able to buy and load your PRESTO card at each station.

Who do I speak to if I need help or have a question?
A Customer Service Agent would be pleased to help you answer your question or direct you to where you purchase and pay your fare.

Look for someone in a TTC uniform beside the fare gates and they would be more than happy to assist you.

What if I need help right away or have an emergency?
In an emergency, go to the Passenger Assistance Intercom located beside the fare gates and push the button to speak with someone immediately.

I think St George is next for a CSAs. For the past week the station hasn't been staffed at around 3 pm. No collector, booth sealed and no red aproned staff.

Frankly, I don't care if Barcelona has folding doors. Though I admit that having platform doors of any design here might be 'nice' and might reduce paper/fires at track level (and, of course, people) but we can't have them until we get automatic train control so that the trains can stop in exactly the right place and we REALLY have FAR more important things to spend our (apparently limited) $$ on.

Back