News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

*Duplicate post in TYSSE thread for relevance.*

Report out on crowding on line 1 for the Jan 18 TTC mtg.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...ports/6_Managing_Crowding_on_Line_1_Yonge.pdf

Of note is the hope that the TYSSE would reduce crowding on the Yonge side by 5%. No measurements available as to whether this has been achieved. (obviously its early)

The oft-stated hopes for ATC are also noted; w/the hope of cutting more than 20s btw trains by late 2019. Assuming senior management reads the same Steve Munro blog I do, I await a new terminal management plan to make this work.

For the future there is a re-do of Yonge-Bloor but no timeline.

It's news to me that TTC contracted EMS at these stations every day. Also not sure how I feel about their medium term strategy of differential fare pricing. Says it's to "encourage demand away from peak hours". But that can also be read as *discourage* demand. Not sure if that's the best thing.

TTC-contracting-EMS-at-stations.png

Attachments

• TTC-contracting-EMS-at-stations.png
    TTC-contracting-EMS-at-stations.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 298
It's news to me that TTC contracted EMS at these stations every day.

That was actually a Giambrone thing in ~2008. Too many medical issues holding up trains so the board (likely as a result of executive request) hired EMS directly for Bloor station. It must work well to have survived Ford.

Last edited:
How is the TTC - or the contractor - supposed to anticipate an almost historically wet winter and spring? When they drilled the boreholes in the fall, things were fine. The problems only arose when they went to excavate the ROW in the spring and found water at the bottom of the excavation.

(now that we are in the right thread...)

I drove the Queensway today and realised that throughout this project, the section of the rebuild which is furthest behind has always been and still is the Humber Loop itself. The rest has made pretty substantial progress, but the loop area is far from ready.

If the water table near Grenadier Pond is being used as the excuse for missing completion milestones, I'm calling bs. The loop isn't ready, and it's higher and drier than further east.

- Paul

(now that we are in the right thread...)

I drove the Queensway today and realised that throughout this project, the section of the rebuild which is furthest behind has always been and still is the Humber Loop itself. The rest has made pretty substantial progress, but the loop area is far from ready.

If the water table near Grenadier Pond is being used as the excuse for missing completion milestones, I'm calling bs. The loop isn't ready, and it's higher and drier than further east.

- Paul
Since you cannot get a streetcar to the loop until the Queensway (Grenadier Pond) section is finished I see no reason why they need to finish it off until it's needed

Since you cannot get a streetcar to the loop until the Queensway (Grenadier Pond) section is finished I see no reason why they need to finish it off until it's needed
That area was done in mid Dec and waiting the overhead from Parkside to the Humber River. The tracks over the Humber were ready for concrete pouring. No idea what was done to the west of the bridge to the loop. From the loop to Park Lawn was well behind schedule with no tracks in the underpass.

Where does the construction stand for the new substation at the loop?

Once they stop selling tokens (and tickets), they will stop accepting as a fare after a few months. They will not be accepted for refunds.

They could be repurposed however. Maybe if your welding or soldering skills are good, they will become cuff-links.

From link.

il_570xN.712373847_dyf5.jpg
They sell these at the Spacing Store. Great gift.

They sell these at the Spacing Store. Great gift.
A bit like the edible buttons that used to be on some military issue in case you get caught too far from friendly lines and you're struggling to survive, those cufflinks could get you home after getting too hammered at the office party and losing your wallet.

Cyanide uniform buttons?
lol...that's the next step when the tokens are no longer accepted as fare to get home. A quick death is far more preferable to slowly dying in the suburbs.

In the event:
[Over time, unwary recruits were sometimes told that the plastic buttons on Canadian combat uniforms or arctic gear were edible "survival" buttons; these stories are of course nonsense. ]
https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/uniforms/combatuniform.htm

Haven't had a chance to catch up on the thread for a fortnight or so. Here's some catch up, staring with Richard's unsubstantiated claims that Asians attempt to avoid paying fares which triggered Neutrino's odd claims.
Star and CBC are very left leaning.
How can Star be very left leaning, given how effectively they vilified David Miller - ironically leading to some of the populism that Rob Ford played into. They are hardly the NDPs friend, they'll quite happily go after any party if they can get their teeth in. At the most they are centrist, leaning left - they did endorse the NDP in the 2011 election, with the most right-wing Liberal leader I remember - certainly since Martin - but that's the only time I recall them doing so in many years.

Provincially, if you read the Star, you'd hardly think the provincial NDP and Andrea Howarth even exist.

And the CBC? There's some left-wingers there. There's some right-wingers there. Though all the prominent CBC reporters that I can think of that went into politics are Tories. Kent, Duffy, Wallin.

And that's only 2 outlets. Other than perhaps the Winnipeg Post, the rest of the media has a clear right-wing bias - as has been well known for years. This isn't the 1970s or the USA, where lots of papers were locally held; they are owned by very large, publicly-held corporations, which always are sucked to the right.

York and UofT have coteries of extreme left wing students and professors.
They'll have everything. Surely UofT is a pretty conservative institution. It would have to be to protect a nutter like Jordan Peterson.

But I'm very off topic and we should return to transit discussion.
Indeed we should - and perhaps I shouldn't respond now; but I can't ignore such an bizarre comment that the Toronto Star is very left wing. How do you compare their opinion pieces and positions to NOW. NOW is very left wing. You don't see a difference between NOW and CBC?

And what I objected to was your comment that 'Leftists have made the word "racist" meaningless by the way'. What does that even mean? Do you doubt racism still exists - though not much is as blatant as, say, Donald Trump. You haven't explained this.

And this was about transit, with the observation (still retracted I believe) that 'older Asian passengers attempt to evade paying a fare by using an invalid transfer' (Richard). And I see no apology for the accusation (Juan) that I have said racist things here in the past.

Just wondering if people had any idea how many of the newly converted automatic entrances will be PRESTO only as opposed to PRESTO/Metropass?

I used the Walmer Road entrance recently and had to walk around to Spadina because I only had a Metropass, soon the Yonge St Automatic Entrance at Yonge Station will be PRESTO only.
Yes, I got caught by Walmer last weekend. After talking to customer service, my understanding is that locations that weren't already wired for both PRESTO and Metropass, will only be PRESTO. And despite all the claims that the new gates are easy to slip through - I couldn't figure out how, without trying to push through with someone, which seems rude. I suppose I could have hopped it - but there's not obvious way to do it simply - and I'm really too old to be doing that. It's not like the old turnstiles, where you can just crawl underneath. And waving my knapsack in various ways under around didn't do anything (it was dark and in the minus 20s, and I had little desire to walk around - which I eventually did).

Yonge - that's good to know; that entrance has been a pain in my side for years, between kids, and travelling with people with Presto; but ironic now with an MDP pass, I won't be able to get through.

At the same time, the second exit for Woodbine opened, with both Metropass and Presto. What has the Pape exit got? I tried Castle Frank the other day, but it's not been done yet.

Thinking of becoming an early convert to the PRESTO monthly pass for the TTC given how much I use automatic entrances.
But what is Metropass only? Yonge and the St. George entrance of St. George were the two in my mind that I keep seeing. Not sure why they didn't tackle the St. George entrance to St. George first, rather than doing Bedford first - which already took both.

It sucks for people like me who are on the MDP. I have the option to cancel before renewal which is why I am debating it right now.
They are testing MDP on Presto now. If you phone them up, or pop over, you might be able to sweet talk them in become part of the trial straight away.

Did they ever take the sign out of College Station that said Maple Leaf Gardens?
Hopefully not. It might make it tougher for people to find all the things that are in Maple Leaf Gardens.
upload_2018-1-14_21-0-33.png

Well that doesn't make sense.

Say I take a bus to Old Cummer station, the bus won't give me a transfer (if paying with Presto). How do I transfer at Union?
Customer service has assured me that operators will give transfer (presumably mentioning GO would help). A bus to Old Cummer would probably be okay I'd think. It's the east-west one you started with, before you transfer to the second one, that I fear will be difficult.

I haven't had a problem getting a transfer, but it was 121, during their Presto Union station transfer issues, so they were used to handing them out.

Once they stop selling tokens (and tickets), they will stop accepting as a fare after a few months. They will not be accepted for refunds.
They've said that for tokens. But I've heard nothing about tickets. Which aren't being eliminated - just changed for the new Presto-compatible stock.

Of note is the hope that the TYSSE would reduce crowding on the Yonge side by 5%. No measurements available as to whether this has been achieved. (obviously its early)
I don't think they've come close to considering the latent unmet demand on Line 1. I think they could increase capacity 20% and only see 20% more riders.

We've seen this demonstrated on King.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-14_21-0-33.png
    upload_2018-1-14_21-0-33.png
    675.9 KB · Views: 272
Transfer useage is fine in this thread, the discussion of the political views of media outlets should go elsewhere.

Back