News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Can't see 501 streetcars returning to Humber Loop or Long Branch until at least April or May at this time.

No idea what was to be done at Long Branch loop, but other than rebuilding the waiting area and new roof shingles, saw nothing at all. 4 buses parked waiting to go into service with one departing when I left.

All the overhead is 100% rebuilt up to Park Lawn.

Bike lanes with bump out transit stops has been built on the south side east of McD and not sure where it has stop that will see more work in the spring going east. High curb with large gaps between them have been built to keep traffic off the bikes lanes, but cars can get in these gaps areas easy.

Most of the Lake Shore is complete for the new tracks east of Park Lawn as well allowing traffic to go west of the underpass, but concrete is not pour for the rails west of the underpass for a block and no rails in the underpass.

All of the Queensway ROW is 100% done, with bracket support added to the support poles east of Windermere, but missing overhead as well power line. Poles and brackets are missing west of Windermere Ave to Humber Loop. Construction barriers on the Humber Bridge were being remove with only the eastbound ones to be remove. The last westbound barrier was being removed when I drove by.

The new substation is in place and being wired.

The power line tower in the loop area going east has been removed.

Looks like there is going to be a loop to loop where the old eastbound was or another bypass track going east, but not finish. They were working on the track going into the underpass, with a lot of missing tracks for the whole loop.

This video will show what has been done so far as of Jan 15

Last edited:
Drum118 said "Can't see 501 streetcars returning to Humber Loop or Long Branch until at least April or May at this time."

Probably best not to do too much concrete work outside in deep freezes and we seem to have so few streetcars that even if track was finished to Long Branch (or even Humber) it might still be necessary to run buses until mid-summer.

Just an FYI for those who use Kennedy Station. The entrance onto the service road (the one 95% of pedestrians use) is closing.
kennedy_station_north_entrance_demo_map_2018_0.jpg
Screenshot_20180115-213940.png

Attachments

• kennedy_station_north_entrance_demo_map_2018_0.jpg
    kennedy_station_north_entrance_demo_map_2018_0.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 454
  • Screenshot_20180115-213940.png
    Screenshot_20180115-213940.png
    162.8 KB · Views: 266
Drum118 said "Can't see 501 streetcars returning to Humber Loop or Long Branch until at least April or May at this time."

Probably best not to do too much concrete work outside in deep freezes and we seem to have so few streetcars that even if track was finished to Long Branch (or even Humber) it might still be necessary to run buses until mid-summer.

They still pour concrete in Timmins when it's -25. The TTC has to figure out how to deliver on time and on budget (or under). Either using their own employees or negotiating and managing contractors they can't seem to do anything right.

They still pour concrete in Timmins when it's -25. The TTC has to figure out how to deliver on time and on budget (or under). Either using their own employees or negotiating and managing contractors they can't seem to do anything right.
The contractor that doing the loop and Lake Shore up to Park Lawn in a night contractor and been late on other TTC projects. TTC doesn't hire most of the contractors in the first place, but the city does. TTC is only a sub.

With TTC lacking cars, no rush to get this work completed ASP, other than getting it done. Then, its up to TTC to lay the rail ans switches, yet they haven't done so since the middle of Dec when I last saw it and why is that?? Until the tracks and switches are in place, the contractor can't finish their work.

You can pour concrete at this time of the year, but should be heated after it been pour.

Did anyone talk about cell service in Toronto's subway? Freedom mobile has service in all platforms and also in the tunnel of TYSSE. I wonder why the big guys don't sign up for this.

I did not say they could not pour concrete at -25 but it DOES cost more and if there is no immediate need to have the concrete poured then it makes sense to wait. The TTC are certainly not perfect but MOST of their surface track replacement contracts seem to be done within schedule.

I'm guessing that some of those track laying experts work all summer and take their holidays in the winter months. Not unreasonable that the business is seasonal.

After just discussing how the ground out that way is so wet, maybe it's wiser to not pour concrete until the frost heaves are done in the spring.

Nevertheless, the public notifications all said that this project was to be complete by year end. So it's late, one way or the other. It's not being picky to expect things to go to schedule. Otherwise, why publish one?

- Paul

Did anyone talk about cell service in Toronto's subway? Freedom mobile has service in all platforms and also in the tunnel of TYSSE. I wonder why the big guys don't sign up for this.

Likely the cost. Even now I hardly see anyone using their phones underground so I doubt it would be worth the investment

Likely the cost. Even now I hardly see anyone using their phones underground so I doubt it would be worth the investment

well they dont use it because they know they cant. I would imagine it would be the opposite if cell service were made available on the line. Another example of how far behind vs the
other RT networks around the world.

I do when I can, not talking but using the internet. The other day I saw a TTC employee talking on his cell phone on a subway. I just came back from Hong Kong so for a moment it seemed natural but then I realized I was back in Toronto.

If Freedom Mobile can stand the costs I wonder why the big players can't...

well they dont use it because they know they cant. I would imagine it would be the opposite if cell service were made available on the line. Another example of how far behind vs the
other RT networks around the world.
very far behind...Asian networks have coverage from very beginning, and New York just got coverage in platforms and tunnels system wide.

I do when I can, not talking but using the internet. The other day I saw a TTC employee talking on his cell phone on a subway. I just came back from Hong Kong so for a moment it seemed natural but then I realized I was back in Toronto.

If Freedom Mobile can stand the costs I wonder why the big players can't...

Probably better things to spend money on like Baseball, Hockey and missle alerts.

Back