News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The fare gates in the Spadina Station main entrance have been removed entirely, they should be replaced by the new model sometime this week. Maybe there should be a new thread for these? I'll see if I can get some photos once they're installed.

Track work just south of Davisville last weekend:

IMG_20140906_154019.jpg

IMG_20140906_154037.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140906_154019.jpg
    IMG_20140906_154019.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_20140906_154037.jpg
    IMG_20140906_154037.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 622
Track work just south of Davisville last weekend:

Thanks for posting, it's nice to see confirmation that they're making use of the subway closure. I wonder if this will allow trains to go faster through that stretch, or improve subway operation in any way?

The whole section of the line between Eglinton and St Clair needs to be replaced from the ground up. Replacing this in a single weeks-long operation with the contractors working flat out would be a huge operation, one which Andy Byford has indicated would require many resources. Not least of which is the number of shuttle buses, operators, and support staff required. You would need to get the money and resources behind this years in advance, and you'd have to basically tell the local residents around Yonge where a dedicated bus lane would have to run, "tough, this is life in the big city, get used to it". You'd have to run a big PR campaign to advise everyone well in advance and surprise as few people as possible. You'd have to be prepared to strip many other routes of buses and operators to run this service, and be prepared for the blowback. Of course having the DRL, Eglinton LRT, even RER would simplify matters somewhat, but we are where we are. This needs to be one of the TTC's big projects for 2016.

Spurred by things I saw in the new streetcar thread, but not strictly belonging there, so they're going here:

I really like that the TTC has begun stricter enforcement of its existing laws and bylaws, with the inspectors riding the streetcars in something approaching substantial numbers. With this increased enforcement, fare dodgers will become more nervous and more disinclined to ride for free. You're never going to stop all the scofflaws, but increased enforcement means only the really brazen will attempt it.

I also think the city could do itself a great favour this winter by being more pro-active by towing those cars whose owners think them running for a coffee and parking in streetcar tracks is somehow logical. The car owners would howl at the moon, of course, but many TTC riders would applaud the car being towed away (the sight of the aggrieved car owner sputtering in outrage would merely be an added bonus). In my imagination, there would be a pool of tow trucks sitting at a central location, and in response to operators, they are dispatched to immediately haul away the vehicles.

Neither of these things require new laws, simply a willingness to enforce existing laws already on the books.

I just missed the last train north of Eglinton the other night, so I had to take the shuttle bus to Finch. Frustratingly they informed passengers that the train would not be going further north at St. Clair rather than Bloor, where I could have easily detoured to the Spadina line to avoid the North Toronto Clusterfuck. Anyways, sent a few tweets to @TTCHelps sharing my views regarding how the extended closure has been handled:

@TTChelps if middle class used late night #TTC, would have done stuff to improve late night shuttle after 8 years. 1/3

@TTChelps instead you see no problems with a normally 10 minute train ride taking 30+ minutes by shuttle 2/3

@TTChelps articulated buses, offering special transfers to reenter stations instead of pulling into each one, express to busiest stops 2.5/3

@TTChelps even having the shuttle stop only at subway stops would be better than the setup you've been using for nearly the last decade! 3/3

TTC Customer Service ‏@TTChelps 13h
@Electrify85 Thank you for your feedback. ^MH

https://twitter.com/Electrify85/status/510803467624251392

The lousy setup they've got has potentially worse ramifications. Those in the north-central inner suburbs (downtown North York, Bayview Village, Newtonbrook, Thornhill, etc) who are planning a late night on the town may find themselves driving into the city instead, increasing traffic congestion, or avoiding downtown altogether, hurting the economy.

Last edited:
I just missed the last train north of Eglinton the other night, so I had to take the shuttle bus to Finch. Frustratingly they informed passengers that the train would not be going further north at St. Clair rather than Bloor, where I could have easily detoured to the Spadina line to avoid the North Toronto Clusterfuck. Anyways, sent a few tweets to @TTCHelps sharing my views regarding how the extended closure has been handled:

https://twitter.com/Electrify85/status/510803467624251392

The lousy setup they've got has potentially worse ramifications. Those in the north-central inner suburbs (downtown North York, Bayview Village, Newtonbrook, Thornhill, etc) who are planning a late night on the town may find themselves driving into the city instead, increasing traffic congestion, or avoiding downtown altogether, hurting the economy.

Not that I disagree with your suggestions, but if you're leaving downtown after 12:30am, I would think you're likely driving when there isn't really any traffic congestion..

From the TTC website, at this link:

Line 1: Yonge-University-Spadina - Late Evening Closure between Eglinton and Finch

Tunnel Maintenance

Last train and bus times, Sunday-Friday

Though train service ends early, shuttle buses between Eglinton and Finch stations continue until the usual end of service:

StationLast train northboundLast shuttle bus northboundLast train southboundLast shuttle bus southbound
Station: EglintonLast train northbound: 12:21 a.m.Last shuttle bus northbound: 2:03 a.m.Last train southbound: 1:28 a.m.Last shuttle bus southbound: -
Station: LawrenceLast train northbound: 12:24 a.m.Last shuttle bus northbound: 2:05 a.m.Last train southbound: 12:24 a.m.Last shuttle bus southbound: 1:25 a.m.
Station: York MillsLast train northbound: 12:26 a.m.Last shuttle bus northbound: 2:08 a.m.Last train southbound: 12:22 a.m.Last shuttle bus southbound: 1:22 a.m.
Station: Sheppard/YongeLast train northbound: 12:29 a.m.Last shuttle bus northbound: 2:10 a.m.Last train southbound: 12:19 a.m.Last shuttle bus southbound: 1:20 a.m.
Station: North York CentreLast train northbound: 12:31 a.m.Last shuttle bus northbound: 2:12 a.m.Last train southbound: 12:17 a.m.Last shuttle bus southbound: 1:18 a.m.
Station: Finch--Last train southbound: 12:15 a.m.Last shuttle bus southbound: 1:16 a.m.
Frequent accessible shuttle bus service will replace the subway between Eglinton Station and Finch Station. The replacement buses will serve the bus terminals at Eglinton, Lawrence, York Mills, Sheppard-Yonge, and Finch stations.

Destination signs

• Yonge Subway Shuttle / Southbound
  • Yonge Subway Shuttle / Northbound

Regular service will operate on Saturday night (early Sunday morning); trains will continue to operate through to Finch Station until the scheduled closing time.

The bus terminals at Lawrence, York Mills, Sheppard-Yonge and Finch stations will remain open until the regular scheduled closing time.

North York Centre Station will close after the last train departs.

The automatic station entrances at Lawrence (Bedford Park/Ranleigh), York Mills (south entrance) and Sheppard-Yonge stations (Poyntz entrance and west concourse) will close after the last train departs. The Harlandale entrance at Sheppard-Yonge Station will remain open until the scheduled closing time.

Trains on the Sheppard Subway will continue to operate with the usual service levels and last train times. After 12:29 a.m. trains will serve the north platform at Sheppard-Yonge Station instead of the south platform.

Thought this was a cool map.

It shows the potential extensions of the streetcar system on the waterfront, including the Waterfront LRT.

Just nice to see it on a map.

Heres a bigger version: http://i.imgur.com/UjRWGyI.png

tmp528201180094922752.png

Attachments

• tmp528201180094922752.png
    tmp528201180094922752.png
    950.1 KB · Views: 625
Too bad the city (or the TTC) didn't lay streetcar tracks when the reconstructed Dufferin Street between Queen Street West and Dundas Street West. A re-born and re-routed 522 Dundas Exhibition streetcar would have been better than (and followed the routing of) the current 193 Exhibition Rocket.

Should we design transit for a couple of weeks during the summer though?

The city did design the new underpass so that tracks could be added later. You could see some of this in the concrete work during construction.

Back