News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm not sure how it would increase dwell times, the announcement can be made right before the train arrives. I'm pretty sure an OADA challenge would force the issue anyway

The example given was of the New York City Subway, where the announcements are made after the doors open. 8 seconds are wasted on the announcement.

I'm not sure how it would increase dwell times, the announcement can be made right before the train arrives. I'm pretty sure an OADA challenge would force the issue anyway
With TTC current PA system, totally useless when the opposite direction train arrives or depart, since you will never hear it. TTC announcements on trains and platforms are the pits since you can understand what being said most of the time. There is no lost of dwell time.

Been on many trains where stations names are call out for each station 2-4 times upon departure and arrival.

Nevermind the usefulness of arrival announcements - the current arrival time estimates by themselves are useless - a system tacked onto that is a fool's errand.

AoD

Nevermind the usefulness of arrival announcements - the current arrival time estimates by themselves are useless - a system tacked onto that is a fool's errand.

AoD
A fair number of systems have large platforms countdown clock to the second as to when a train will arrive at the station. Most are dead on to the second.

If you watch the arrival time on the TTC screen these days, that one minute or more arrival time can be off by minutes more, since it based on when the train departs a station before your station and assuming it has a green lights in front of it.

A fair number of systems have large platforms countdown clock to the second as to when a train will arrive at the station. Most are dead on to the second.

If you watch the arrival time on the TTC screen these days, that one minute or more arrival time can be off by minutes more, since it based on when the train departs a station before your station and assuming it has a green lights in front of it.

Yep, I can see it being useful given how accurate it can be - but the TTC system? Forget about it.

AoD

Train locations do get updated in between stations. But you're right that it doesn't account for trains having to slow down/stop in tunnels, so they can be later than the system says (or earlier if the train is speeding), but there's no way of addressing that until the new signal system is in place.

The example given was of the New York City Subway, where the announcements are made after the doors open. 8 seconds are wasted on the announcement.

Not sure what part of the video you watched but the timestamp I gave announces that the train is 2 minutes away. This train would've gotten an announcement a few minutes prior and another just before it enters the station. Any announcement that goes off with a train in the station is a mistake or it's for another train down the line. I realize it's redundant in Toronto with countdown clocks in the station but could definitely be useful for blind people (assuming the arrival times are accurate)

Last edited:
Think all the frozen precipitation is a headache for the TTC, it could be the unfrozen kind like they had in New York City.

kdr4q8V.jpg

Islington Station is an embarrassment to this city. And not just because of the waterfall coming from the ceiling. Its walls are filthy. The TTC needs to power wash the place. It's consistently the dirtiest station in the city.

kdr4q8V.jpg

Islington Station is an embarrassment to this city. And not just because of the waterfall coming from the ceiling. Its walls are filthy. The TTC needs to power wash the place. It's consistently the dirtiest station in the city.

First off, I am honestly surprised the TTC has not shut the station down for safety reasons. They could easily do Royal York turnbacks via the center track (Which is outdoors) at Islington. The power would not need to be cut unless there is a risk of the third rail shorting out.

As for the walls, the Ministry of the Environment has told the TTC they can no longer pressure wash the walls or tunnels due to the crud that is building up on them. It is a verifiable environmental risk.

Use dry ice or even laser cleaning then.

AoD

I believe Steve Munro had that brought up by one of his readers. The problem is that the materials in the tunnels (Asbestos, grease, various fluids) are combustible or otherwise hazardous. I don't want to be the TTC employee who explains why they started a 6+ alarm fire in a tunnel trying to clean it.

Back