News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

To make rider experience even worse, they decided to terminate the 501L bus at Queensway and Ellis. At least with Roncesvalles you had the option to take various other routes once the bus terminated, but now you're stuck. It is very poor planning and adds a lot of time to people's commutes.
And yet the new service routing is very inconsistent. Although service from the 501L is supposed to terminate at Queensway and Ellis (which is yes, just bad service planning outright), it's not uncommon to see streetcars terminating at Roncesvalles in the late evening and overnight which results in riders being stranded to go further westbound until:

a) a 501 Humber streetcar finally comes by which picks up those passengers, and dumps them off again at Ellis, or
b) a 501L bus from Dufferin comes by and takes those passengers all the way to Long Branch

To be frank, the TTC has been screwing with 501 passengers for the past 20+ years, but what's been happening with the service for the past 10 years is absolutely unacceptable and ridiculous to say the least.

Video that I found that gives good overview of the recently completed rebuild of the Queensway ROW (look testing with a pantograph!):

Also, what's up with this stub track at 1:30 in the video below? Construction is complete on everything else, and there doesn't seem to be a place for it to meet up with anything... does anyone have any insights? A stub track seems weird for the single-cabbed TTC streetcars.

Edit:
found an answer on Steve Munro's site:
The track for the new Queen car loop is substantially in place, and there is one major change – the conversion of what was once a passing track intended for use in coupling PCC trains (50 years ago) to a tail track long enough to hold a Flexity car. It is unusual in two ways. First, the TTC has systematically removed tail tracks everywhere they existed. Second, it is a dogleg shaped track so that a car sitting on it will not be in a straight line.

Last edited:
Video that I found that gives good overview of the recently completed rebuild of the Queensway ROW (look testing with a pantograph!):

Also, what's up with this stub track at 1:30 in the video below? Construction is complete on everything else, and there doesn't seem to be a place for it to meet up with anything... does anyone have any insights? A stub track seems weird for the single-cabbed TTC streetcars.

Edit:
found an answer on Steve Munro's site:

If it is grade separated at intersections it will be so much more efficient

I used the Parkside Drive entrance up to the eastbound platform last week with 90 lb Black Lab. He enjoyed the southern landing (top of lower steps, passage splits opposite ways for east and west bound platforms) because he was almost able to swim across, it was so flooded. Don't know if that structure is TTC or City, but they're going to have to establish drainage or resurface the concrete. It had ice forming on it that day, it was slightly below freezing, and I have healthy footing, but for someone unsuspecting, it could be tragic. That underpass and entrance need attention badly. Concrete is spalling and rebar is rusting.

Platform still had construction notice posted: "Hard hat and boots must be worn in this area...etc...".

What struck my curiosity is the wheel wear on the rails. It was an extremely narrow contact area worn, perhaps half an inch wide if that. One of the differences between LRT and higher speed passenger rail is the profile, and matching bogie wheel profile. Perhaps they've yet to grind the track, but it looked like heavy rail profile as is. Streetcar ride was very smooth on it, and I didn't notice any 'hunting' (which the PCCs were very prone to along stretches like that) so perhaps that differentiation is disappearing with more modern bogie design and rail head profile?

One can't help but think this is how the King Street Pilot should be, and run through on this stretch, some day. But alas...

A point on the stub-end storage spur at the loop: Pantos make reversing out of such stubs equally easy either direction. With a pole, it was always advised, where possible, for someone to hold the lanier rope, especially going through catenary junctions to stop it fouling and causing other mayhem. Maybe storage stubs will be back in vogue?

Last edited:
Will the TTC ever add automated announcements for train arrival times? They've had it in New York for years.

Skip to 8m17s

The TTC really doesn't need them at all. New York has many different train services that can serve the same platform. For Instance: the 6th avenue line sees 4 different services (B, D, F, M) A lot of confusion can arise because some lines run express and others do not. Some run to Brooklyn, others to the Bronx and Queens. They have a need, we don't. All these announcements will do is dramatically increase dwell times in the TTC, something we (unlike the 4 track lines of the New York City Subway), cannot afford.

The TTC really doesn't need them at all. New York has many different train services that can serve the same platform. For Instance: the 6th avenue line sees 4 different services (B, D, F, M) A lot of confusion can arise because some lines run express and others do not. Some run to Brooklyn, others to the Bronx and Queens. They have a need, we don't. All these announcements will do is dramatically increase dwell times in the TTC, something we (unlike the 4 track lines of the New York City Subway), cannot afford.

When I was staying with family near Kensal Green tube station in London last year the trains had automated announcements. Usually they would say things like "The train now arriving on Platform 1 is your 10:55 London Overground service to Euston, please mind the gap".

This was because both the London Overground and Bakerloo Line ran out of Kensal Green but took different routings. No need for that in Toronto where there are no branch lines.

I'm not sure how it would increase dwell times, the announcement can be made right before the train arrives. I'm pretty sure an OADA challenge would force the issue anyway

Back