News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Saw one of the new hybrid buses on the 939 today.
A number of them where on 504 shuttle route Sunday due to down power and TTC wires west of Parliament St. Shot 3441 turning south on Parliament St

Toronto Hydro has to replace the damage pole as well rewire it. Once that is done, TTC has to install new support wire and fix the overhead. 504B cars could start using King on Tuesday, depending if all the overhead and hydro wires are in place. Not a nice site to see on Sunday in person. Because of this mess, longer headways for the 504 streetcars.

To make it even odder, was seeing an CLRV at Cherry St Loop and been a long time I saw one there.

2 subway train store on the Kipling trail track today.

Noticed today that the west side and north end of Roncesvalles Yard has been mostly converted to the new OS. Some areas are ready for the new OS as well the east side at Queensway and waiting for the old one to be remove and some string of wire.

4 Flexity in the yard and 2 inside the new bay for them. One came of 504 and drove in as I was shooting the area.

Had my first ride on the airport buses today as it was on Route 40 of all things.

A number of them where on 504 shuttle route Sunday due to down power and TTC wires west of Parliament St. Shot 3441 turning south on Parliament St

Toronto Hydro has to replace the damage pole as well rewire it. Once that is done, TTC has to install new support wire and fix the overhead. 504B cars could start using King on Tuesday, depending if all the overhead and hydro wires are in place. Not a nice site to see on Sunday in person. Because of this mess, longer headways for the 504 streetcars.

To make it even odder, was seeing an CLRV at Cherry St Loop and been a long time I saw one there.

2 subway train store on the Kipling trail track today.

Noticed today that the west side and north end of Roncesvalles Yard has been mostly converted to the new OS. Some areas are ready for the new OS as well the east side at Queensway and waiting for the old one to be remove and some string of wire.

4 Flexity in the yard and 2 inside the new bay for them. One came of 504 and drove in as I was shooting the area.

Had my first ride on the airport buses today as it was on Route 40 of all things.

The CLRVs still occasionally go down to Distillery, for 501 short turns but not often.

I tripped over this in the July 15, 1927 Toronto Star (page 24).

Gosh, open houses were a lot more extensive back then! 12 different facilities for 7 days each, until 9 pm every night! They even extended the invitation to ladies as well as to men!

On MERX: P03PB19711 - TTC ONLINE MERCHANDISE STORE

Now to get more stuff to sell!

This is something the London Transport Museum already does. See here: https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/vintage-shop/underground-signs#show=15

They sell various decommissioned signage, pieces of equipment, etc on their store. I have visited their store in London and their list of items for sale is as extensive as it is interesting.

There was a tweet online a few days ago where someone purchased a door open button from a former Jubilee Line train. He turned it into a doorbell.

This is something the London Transport Museum already does. See here: https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/vintage-shop/underground-signs#show=15

They sell various decommissioned signage, pieces of equipment, etc on their store. I have visited their store in London and their list of items for sale is as extensive as it is interesting.

There was a tweet online a few days ago where someone purchased a door open button from a former Jubilee Line train. He turned it into a doorbell.

The TTC already does this today, and has for many years: https://www.ttcshop.ca/

They generally tender out the operation for 3 year terms, and the most recent winning bidder's 3 year term is up this year, thus the tender.

Dan

Just experienced this weekeend’s subway closure. The TTC needs to get its act together and stop creating a shit show with these shuttle-to-bus transfer. At St. Clair they are squeezing everyone (Northbound and Southbound passengers) through the southern end stair well. Someone someday is going to get injured when an emergency happens and a rampage starts.

Addendum: it looks like they are manually throwing the switches south of St. Clair to turn back trains.

Last edited:
Just experienced this weekeend’s subway closure. The TTC needs to get its act together and stop creating a shit show with these shuttle-to-bus transfer. At St. Clair they are squeezing everyone (Northbound and Southbound passengers) through the southern end stair well. Someone someday is going to get injured when an emergency happens and a rampage starts.

Addendum: it looks like they are manually throwing the switches south of St. Clair to turn back trains.

There are several issues you identify here that are all serious.

The first is that many stations are the system have inadequate capacity, period, full-stop.

That these same stations are often used in turn back/shortturn situations makes it more obvious and irritating, but as you note, it would be much more serious in an emergency evacuation situation (say fire).

To add to that, the TTC does not handle closures, planned or unplanned well.

Wherever humanly possible, they should be dispatching all artics to a subway closure situation; while inadequate, they are certainly better than conventional length buses in coping w/the crowds.

That artics may not be available is an issue of route and garage assignment and not having a good distribution (particularly unplanned closures).

Also an issue is that many stations don't have a single bus bay large enough for an artic. For turn-around/short-turn stations that just isn't acceptable.

Finally, there is a need to address how a shuttle service operates on-street.

There should be a plan, at the very least, to eliminate parking along the route of a planned shuttle bus service, if not an outright closure to cars to allow the service to function well.

This would be more challenging for an unplanned closure, however, dispatching police to limit additional vehicle traffic into said area, and/or authorizing friendly tows for problem vehicles (causing congestion) should be the norm.

You would think this whole closure thing were new, seeing as they haven't mastered it yet. Nothing another 50 years of practice might not help! LOL

Well, maybe they should redirect people to use other escalator or stairwells. GO makes announcements about this on the trains and people generally are competent and listen

Well, maybe they should redirect people to use other escalator or stairwells. GO makes announcements about this on the trains and people generally are competent and listen

The kind of crowds GO deals with is relatively minuscule - and I don't think you'd be able to communicate details of this sort well in an announcement. What's needed is good on the ground staffing to direct (and the TTC is a mixed bag in this regard). Having said that, these stations just aren't designed to handled this sort of crowds; nor is the shuttle system really.

AoD

March 18
As A note, neither Shaw Intersections have been rebuilt for Pan, with Queen have long section of straight overhead to be converted. A good chunk of Roncesvalles yard has been converted, with some section waiting to be done while other have both system. Watch a Flexity loose the pole as it was about to enter the carhouse.
46728027114_406f94a445_b.jpg

46728027734_cc842270c2_b.jpg

47451121191_028be9dea3_b.jpg

47451121601_6d50342c44_b.jpg

40485131073_5dd2f97fa1_b.jpg

47451122341_2323d37e22_b.jpg

47451122731_2f97d8ec9e_b.jpg

47451123031_96759a851b_b.jpg

47451123741_1b0015446e_b.jpg

40485134963_5551c71bbe_b.jpg

40485135933_0c721c7007_b.jpg

47398200302_0940e3b75f_b.jpg

46728024754_34a9b8cc82_b.jpg

47451116211_5d68a55917_b.jpg

46728025654_2153ac5a41_b.jpg

46728026414_84430f46d4_b.jpg

I am glad the term "world-class" has fallen out of use in this city, because after 31 years here I am still wondering why I have to take a crowded bus on Yonge St. at 6:30 on Sunday morning instead of using the subway. Paris has 302 stations, and somehow they don't need an additional 2 hours on Sunday morning for maintenance. [/rant]

I am glad the term "world-class" has fallen out of use in this city, because after 31 years here I am still wondering why I have to take a crowded bus on Yonge St. at 6:30 on Sunday morning instead of using the subway. Paris has 302 stations, and somehow they don't need an additional 2 hours on Sunday morning for maintenance. [/rant]

While I'm in complete agreement that 'world-class' is overused, and that Sunday rapid transit service should start earlier.............if we are being completely fair in our comparison, the Paris Metro closes 1 hour earlier than the TTC Sunday to Thursday. (12:40am); (though opens at 5:30) for a net 2.5 hour service reduction (its open till 1:40am, Fridays and Saturdays). Since the TTC Subways starts 2.5 hours later than the Paris Metro on Sunday; the total open hours for both systems are essentially identical over a 7-day period.

Back