News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is there any scope to increase the number of ALRVs (being notionally more useful for ADB) for King AM rush by putting CLRVs on 301/late 501 services instead? Or do 301 cars soldier on past the end of those runs and into 501 AM rush runs?

For those who have been on it, how are the dwell times on the new streetcars where they are POP only? Has the speed increased significantly? Or at the moment does it not make much of a difference due to bunching, traffic lights, etc?

I didn't notice any difference. I suppose shaved a few seconds off my commute.

Really depends on how far you are travelling I'm guessing. Most trips on spadina are pretty short, so travel times wouldn't be effected too much. I suspect it will make more of a difference on longer routes like the 504.

IIRC, a TTC report said that the LFLRVs would improve travel times by 10% when compared to the legacy vehicles. I suppose that means that any speed improvements would be less than 10%

the TTC has managed to dramatically improve the on time performance of the 512 St. Clair and 29 Dufferin, while dramatically decreasing the number of short turns:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/t...r-short-turns/article22000738/?service=mobile

These positive effects cannot be replicated across the system without additional funding.

Does anyone here know the technical details of what the TTC has done to improve service? The Globe article didn't go into details.

Last edited:
lthe TTC has managed to dramatically improve he on time performance of the 512 St. Clair and 29 Dufferin, while dramatically decreasing the number of short turns:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/t...r-short-turns/article22000738/?service=mobile

These positive effects cannot be replicated across the system without additional funding.

Does anyone here know the technical details of what the TTC has done to improve service? The Globe article didn't go into details.

I put my great investigative skills to work and found this explanation of how the TTC is managing this:

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...es_at_the_ttc_are_putting_an_end_to_them.html

Basically they're now using six route supervisors on the 512 St. Clair. While the results have been great, using six supervisors for a single route does not appear very efficient. It's certainly not a solution that could be applied to every route in the city. I suppose that for now this will just be used for the busiest routes. Perhaps it can be applied everywhere when the TTC gets its new route management system in a few years.

I put my great investigative skills to work and found this explanation of how the TTC is managing this:

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...es_at_the_ttc_are_putting_an_end_to_them.html

Basically they're now using six route supervisors on the 512 St. Clair. While the results have been great, using six supervisors for a single route does not appear very efficient. It's certainly not a solution that could be applied to every route in the city. I suppose that for now this will just be used for the busiest routes. Perhaps it can be applied everywhere when the TTC gets its new route management system in a few years.

Yes, if it takes 6 route supervisors on a rather short route (St Clair) that is in its own ROW I fear we will never see this kind of thing on King or Queen. Maybe better to train the operators how to read time and stick to their schedules - if you look at Steve Munro's detailed analyses of various routes they leave termini together too often and it is no wonder we see convoys of cars with either huge gaps or short-turns. Yes, parked and left-turning cars are also a problem but the lack of properly spaced service happens at all hours of the day and night and cannot simply be blamed on "traffic".

Does anyone know what happened to the plan to reduce the number of streetcar stops (i.e. remove all stops that are not at intersections)? Is that plan dead?

I assume that the new management system will not require route supervisors.

Does anyone know what happened to the plan to reduce the number of streetcar stops (i.e. remove all stops that are not at intersections)? Is that plan dead?
No, it is alive and was (and is) tied to the NEW streetcars being deployed on that route. On King the westbound stop at Victoria is planned to go and it is significant that when the TTC were putting in the ramps at streetcar stops on King in the summer this stop was left untouched. I think a few stops (Queen @ Victoria, for example) are still under discussion but most of the TTCs recommendations were accepted.

No, it is alive and was (and is) tied to the NEW streetcars being deployed on that route. On King the westbound stop at Victoria is planned to go and it is significant that when the TTC were putting in the ramps at streetcar stops on King in the summer this stop was left untouched. I think a few stops (Queen @ Victoria, for example) are still under discussion but most of the TTCs recommendations were accepted.
Also if you look, you'll see ramps being constructed where there aren't currently stops, but where the stops will be moved to.

Also if you look, you'll see ramps being constructed where there aren't currently stops, but where the stops will be moved to.
Yes, an example would be just west of eastbound stop at King and Ontario rather than just west of this junction and pedestrian cross-walk. Also the stop sign just west of St Lawrence Street (eastbound) has just been moved to the more logical location of just west of Lower River - outside the new Tim Hortons and at same junction s the westbound stop.

Maybe JoTo and the new TTC chair can expedite the removal of stops before the new streetcars.

Here's what I would love to see ASAP to fix the issues with streetcars:

-All door boarding on ALL lines during rush hour
-Fix/turn on all of the transit priority signals for streetcars
-remove all the unnecessary stops that were highlighted in the last report asap.
-refurbish all of the ALRV's to last until all new streetcars are in service.
-Make downtown King streetcar/essential service route only.

Back