News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Weren't we supposed to have all door boarding on all surface vehicles, excessive streetcar stops taken out and 2 hour transfers (and a few other itmes) by Jan 1st? This is really disappointing to say the least.
At the previous meeting they talked about starting all-door loading in January 2015 if they hired 60 new inspectors instead of 20. However the board only told them to include it in the 2015 budget request to city council. It didn't give them go ahead to start straight away.

And in the same meeting they talked about 2-hour transfers in September 2015; where did you hear January 1st?

/u/fyrefish made this ;)

HfnKba1.png

Its a budget item as you need more enforcers to do it. Until it is in the budget or other funds come from somewhere else, The CEO cannot make that change like he wants to do. It would be nice to happen, but you need funds to cover lost or hiring of staff. I believe you need 100 new enforcers to go all doors on streetcars alone and it will take time to hire them as well train them. I expect POP will be roll out line by line as there are enough enforcers on hand.

As for bus routes, that still down the road and only apply to various route as far as I know at this time. 29 would be the first one. Last night, the driver was getting riders to use the other 2 doors as we were pack as sardines with the front backup to the door. We left people at stops as he wasn't opening the front doors when people wanted off.

As for Sheppard, you don't need ATO at all to run one man crews, let alone the system.

Before TTC can run one man crews, they have to talk to 113 about doing this first, to get them on-board as it changing manpower setup. The union wants to make sure no one will loose their job over this change.

Another change taking place within TTC from top to bottom, is a rewriting of job description to match the changing technology as well what is really require to do today work.

What is the status of two hour transfers?

many of our transit issues are self-inflicted.

People complain about the crowdedness and slowness of 501 and 504, but there are obvious approaches to improve service overnight without costing a cent

1) eliminate 50-60% stops, at least during weekdays, so that the streetcar doesn't stop for anything less than 500-600 meters. Yea, you walk a bit more but get to your destination much faster.
2) designate King and Queen streetcar ROW during rush hour (7am-10am, 4pm-7pm), ban left turns (those suckers should drive on Wellington, Richmond and Adelaide to start with)
3) ban parking on King and Queen between Jarvis to Strachan completely, 24/7. $100 for any violation.

Wouldn't that result in substantial improvement in services? The streetcars will bring people to work/home much faster, with less delay and schedule will be a lot more predictable too. I just don't get why we don't do any of them, but keep whining about "now I have to walk 3 more minutes!" or "lost lane for cars". It is the busiest part of downtown Toronto, people are supposed to walk a few hundred meters to take transit and the cars shouldn't rule in the first place.

TTC rebrands its airport bus — the cheaper if not faster way to Pearson

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...the_cheaper_if_not_faster_way_to_pearson.html

The timing of the Airport Rocket promotion coincides with the UPX launch in the spring and the Pan Am Games next summer. But Ross says the Rocket campaign, which has been in the works for about a year, is mostly to let Torontonians and travelers know that, like other big cities, Toronto has its own airport transit.

- Starting next month, the TTC is wrapping the 10 buses dedicated to the 192 route with a postcard-travel theme, including the message, “Your journey starts here.” --- New subway maps that will begin appearing mid-January will, for the first time, show a surface route. The Airport Rocket will be a red line. A poster campaign will roll out across the system, with the image of a woman holding a passport stamped with a TTC logo.

- New route maps are also in the works for inside the 192 buses, detailing the express route. It runs up Highway 427, making four stops within the airport area. There will be new signage at Kipling for the 192 bus bay, and the TTC is working with the Greater Toronto Airports Authority to raise the bus’s visibility at Pearson.

542ttcbusjpg.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

I still want to believe this is some kind of sick April fool's joke. I can't believe they're going to put this bus route on the rapid transit map.

I still want to believe this is some kind of sick April fool's joke. I can't believe they're going to put this bus route on the rapid transit map.

why not? This bus covers 15km of distance in 20 minutes.
It takes the BD line 27 minutes to travel from Yonge to Kipling, a distance of 13km. The bus is definitely more RAPID than the BD line.

It's obviously a lot easier to be more RAPID when the bus only makes 1 stop between it's origin and Pearson Airport.

Comparing the 192 to the Bloor-Danforth Line doesn't make any sense at all.

If the BD Line made one stop between Kipling and Yonge, that would be pretty useless to most people. Having a stop spacing of 7km would be ridiculous.

It's obviously a lot easier to be more RAPID when the bus only makes 1 stop between it's origin and Pearson Airport.

If the BD Line made one stop between Kipling and Yonge, that would be pretty useless to most people. Having a stop spacing of 7km would be ridiculous.

then based on what can you say the 192 doesn't qualify as rapid public transportation? It is rapid, public and transports people. There are not many stops in between because more stops are simply not justified.

I think his point is that if the subway line qualifies as "rapid transit", then why shouldn't the speedier airport bus be considered rapid transit.

I'd say it deserves to be on the rapid transit map. It may not be a train, but it has a faster average speed than any of our subway or future LRT lines.

Back