News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Someone with more inside knowledge than I might wish to contribute here..........

But I suspect the issue is that the TTC is doing all of this work in-house; it has finite crew time, the crew who do this work do other projects as well.

The TTC likely doesn't envision any temporary hiring, nor outsourcing to complete this work.

That's entirely conjecture on my part; I will stand to be corrected if needs be.

To the extent that I am correct; I disagree w/how this is organized and think it would have made sense to hire/train a dedicated crew for this and/or outsource it, with a much tighter timeline (say 2 years?).
I cannot find it anywhere on UT, TTC or Steve Munro's sites BUT there have been several TTC maps showing overhead conversion plans colour-coded with years. I do not think any went past 2022 but now we seem to have moved to 2025 (with 5 years to move it further!).. I can accept that the postponement of huge King/Queen/Roncy project to 2021 meant the postponement of that section but ....

They say:

Radio communications is provided 24 hours a day, seven days a week for several systems, including TTC vehicles, Transit Control Centre, and emergency response agencies. Manufacturer Life’s building at 5650 Yonge St., located at the northwest corner of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue West, is a critical base station for the TTC’s communication system (TETRA). The option to relocate to a different location would require significant work and investment as the TTC would need to identify a site with similar elevation/broadcast characteristics, physically move or install new equipment, and connect back to the system via leased fibre. It is therefore recommended that a new license agreement extending the use of the communication antennas be entered into.

I attended one of the TTC's virtual shows last night on their Service Plan for 2021.It was quite informative and I was pleased to see they have made some improvements to the routing of the 121 bus from their original proposal. It will still pass Union Station and will only use Mill Street westbound. I am still not sure if it will stop at Union but... Here is the proposed new route (though they have moved Scott Street somewhat further east!
121 bus.jpg

I attended one of the TTC's virtual shows last night on their Service Plan for 2021.It was quite informative and I was pleased to see they have made some improvements to the routing of the 121 bus from their original proposal. It will still pass Union Station and will only use Mill Street westbound. I am still not sure if it will stop at Union but... Here is the proposed new route (though they have moved Scott Street somewhat further east!
View attachment 282378

As per the bolded; they actually renamed Church Street!

I believe that to be outside the scope of their procedural authority!

Vending machines for personal protective equipment to appear at 10 popular TTC stations starting this week

TTC selects vending company to install PPE machines in busiest stations

Nov. 13, 2020

Beginning this week, TTC customers will notice vending machines selling personal protective equipment (PPE) in some subway stations.

While the TTC is giving away one million masks and providing hand sanitizer on streetcars and in subway stations, the machines offer customers a convenient and inexpensive option to purchase items they may need or want to buy while travelling on the system.

"Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, it has been encouraging to see Torontonians taking measures to protect each other through the observance of mask-wearing and other mitigation strategies," said TTC Chair Jaye Robinson. "By providing opportunities to purchase inexpensive PPE in stations, we can do our part to encourage this continued effort on the part of our customers."

A total of 11 machines are being installed by the end of next week and will be located at the following stations:

- 2 at Queen Station
- 1 at Union Station
- 1 at Davisville Station
- 1 at Finch Station
- 1 at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station
- 1 at Kennedy Station
- 1 at St George Station
- 1 at Bloor-Yonge Station
- 1 at Don Mills Station
- 1 at Kipling Station

This summer, the TTC began pursuing in-station PPE vending machines as one more way to make it even easier for TTC customers to access masks and other hygienic supplies. MVF & Associates (MVF) was selected following a competitive bid process. MVF is responsible for all installation, maintenance and replenishment of the machines.

Customers can purchase a variety of items from the machines, including single-use and multi-use face coverings, gloves, sanitizer and wipes. Customers can pay using cash and cashless methods.

"As the global pandemic continues, we know, more than ever, that we are all in this together," said TTC CEO Rick Leary. "Safety is a core value at the TTC and we want to make sure that our customers feel safe on all our vehicles and in our stations. We are always looking for new ways to enhance safety and give our customers choices. These vending machines are just one more way we are doing that."

Customer service representatives and staff ambassadors will continue to distribute single-use masks to customers free of charge at many TTC locations, including some subway stations and along busy parts of the bus network.

Stay up-to-date on the latest information on COVID-19 and the TTC by visiting https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ttc.ca%2FCOVID-19%2FLatest_News.jsp&data=04%7C01%7C%7C02a16855661d4f46c95408d887ff4940%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637408877791923367%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=xkytmuPm3MIpeYYAmEbLvEsEtpnsunNA554z5X4CqVM%3D&reserved=0.

Last edited:
Per the service notice posted by Steve Munro, there will be no extended night service for New Year's Eve this year. There will be some extra late evening service for surface routes only accomplished by reallocating service from the mid-day to evening/late evening.

Per the service notice posted by Steve Munro, there will be no extended night service for New Year's Eve this year. There will be some extra late evening service for surface routes only accomplished by reallocating service from the mid-day to evening/late evening.

I would hope not. Encouraging people to be out all night partying is the last thing we need to do right now.

I would hope not. Encouraging people to be out all night partying is the last thing we need to do right now.
Unfortunately if the Province allows bars etc to be open, people will go to them (and if bars are closed will go to each others homes) and if the TTC is not running they will either drive there or take Uber (unmasked).

Last edited:
Unfortunately if the Province allows bars etc to be open, people will go to them and if the TTC is not running they will either drive there or take Uber (unmasked).
Past midnight? Last call is 9 pm now isn't it? (I can't keep track). I don't see that changing by New Years.

It's not like there isn't pretty good service to 1 AM, and heck, very good service all-night, already, which hopefully won't be overwhelmed this year.

Back