News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Now we need the second exit there to make dumping out a rush hour (or even an off-peak) train something that doesn't instantly overwhelm the platform.
They awarded that contract this summer along with the elevators. Construction was supposed to start by last months for opening in 2023.

1606232012354.png
1606232096663.png
1606232121331.png
1606232158172.png

I think you underestimate the complexity of installing a totally new kind of signalling onto a line which is operated ca 20 hours a day, 7 days a week and where the old system was/is very old and quite fragile. No doubt it would have been done MUCH faster if things could have been shut-down for weeks (or months) but....

To add to my earlier post Toronto is quite backwards in how they do subway work and overly cautious.

Even in Budapest, Hungary right now they have shut down a large portion of their Metro 3 in the centre of the city to rebuild the stations, track, etc. They have been doing this for the past 12 years with Metro 2 being done from 2006 to around 2011. They closed portions and rebuilt them for extended periods without worrying about shuttle capacity etc.

See here: https://bkk.hu/en/news/2020/11/trav...-of-the-middle-section-of-metro-line-m3.5957/

Budapest-page-001.jpg

In 2017 when I was in London they had a section of the Central Line shut down for station works and bypassed stops for weeks at at time (not just weekends and overnights)

The point I am making is that it can be done but the TTC does not have the backbone to do it.

To add to my earlier post Toronto is quite backwards in how they do subway work and overly cautious.

Even in Budapest, Hungary right now they have shut down a large portion of their Metro 3 in the centre of the city to rebuild the stations, track, etc. They have been doing this for the past 12 years with Metro 2 being done from 2006 to around 2011. They closed portions and rebuilt them for extended periods without worrying about shuttle capacity etc.

See here: https://bkk.hu/en/news/2020/11/trav...-of-the-middle-section-of-metro-line-m3.5957/

View attachment 284900

In 2017 when I was in London they had a section of the Central Line shut down for station works and bypassed stops for weeks at at time (not just weekends and overnights)

The point I am making is that it can be done but the TTC does not have the backbone to do it.

Note that they have alternative rapid transit routes available. Something Toronto is missing (at least there are 2 north-south wings of Line 1, Line 2 will have to wait till Line 5 for an alternative west-east route).

Last edited:

View attachment 284900

It is not lack of backbone (though the TTC may well lack one), it is that Toronto has no good alternatives if/when a section of subway is closed. London certainly does and Budapest appears to.

Note that they have alternative rapid transit routes available. Something Toronto is missing (at least there are 2 north-south wings of Line 1, Line 2 will have to wait till Line 5 for an alternative west-east route).

Realistically, if the goal were to have sufficient relief capacity such that you could completely close Line 2 for several months, at the minimum, you would need the Relief Line/OL to be in place as well.

Even then, replacing the balance of the load w/shuttle buses would be beyond challenging; and would likely require a total ban on street parking on every E-W arterial from Danforth/Bloor to the south.

The Spadina side of Line 2 would likewise be insufficient to carry weekday loads from the Yonge side in a normal year.

The Relief Line/RL would certainly need to be in place to Eglinton to contemplate such a move; and then you would also need to ban parking on Yonge and run a massive shuttle program.

Even then, replacing the balance of the load w/shuttle buses would be beyond challenging; and would likely require a total ban on street parking on every E-W arterial from Danforth/Bloor to the south.
When they were looking at the options for a Line 1 shutdown for months for work between Eglinton and Rosedale, the bus demand for a peak of 25,000 passengers an hour southbound ... well do the math ... you'd need about 450 buses, assuming that you could do the entire round trip in an hour.

So step one was build two new bus garages and step two was buy 500 buses. :) (needless to say, they found more creative options)

SSDD! Renovation or not, still looks pretty bad like most TTC stations.

Is vitrolite not the tile material they used in the 60s? Or was that for the original 50s stations?

That's not Vitrolite and the station was fully renovated a few years ago.

It is the same ceramic block as every other 1960s era station.
It may look 1960's, but a lot of 2010's blocks there.

Due to screw up and opps!!, TTC had to go south to find a supplier for replacement Blocks to match what was there in the first place. Remember the missing parts of letters or the ones place upside down as well a few others??

Dufferin Stations had a number of issues as well.

It may look 1960's, but a lot of 2010's blocks there.

Due to screw up and opps!!, TTC had to go south to find a supplier for replacement Blocks to match what was there in the first place. Remember the missing parts of letters or the ones place upside down as well a few others??

Dufferin Stations had a number of issues as well.

Ah yes. I miss that ceramic brick at Pape

Back