News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

@Jonny5

You need to fix your post above, you put your words inside the quote.

Land is public, with an intention to develop; but application from Build Toronto/CreateTO on hold while the SSE gets figured out.

As per this thread here at UT:

I just read an article about planned subway closures in 2021. Many for SOGR work. Is there any evidence overall that for all the talk and some investment in SOGR that the system is in better shape and that reliability is improved? Reports? Anecdotes?

I just read an article about planned subway closures in 2021. Many for SOGR work. Is there any evidence overall that for all the talk and some investment in SOGR that the system is in better shape and that reliability is improved? Reports? Anecdotes?
Well, there have been no cases (I think) of trains going off the rails during service and no reports of bridges and tunnels collapsing. SOGR work is not 'sexy' but REALLY needs to be done. The fact we have few examples of major problems caused by SOGR work NOT done means they are on the right track.

Well, there have been no cases (I think) of trains going off the rails during service and no reports of bridges and tunnels collapsing. SOGR work is not 'sexy' but REALLY needs to be done. The fact we have few examples of major problems caused by SOGR work NOT done means they are on the right track.

Well, actually, we did have the one derailment on Line 2, way back in January of this year.........at Vincent yard. (granted it was going into service and had no passengers on board at the time)

Well, actually, we did have the one derailment on Line 2, way back in January of this year.........at Vincent yard. (granted it was going into service and had no passengers on board at the time)

Yes, that's why I noted 'in service". That 'incident' was clearly the result of SOGR work NOT done!

Although the TTC has been sounding the alarm in their reports about the growing maintenance back log which is worrisome.

Subways are expensive to maintain afterall - but it is never a sexy thing to fund - no ribbon-cutting, no new service - you'd only notice if it wasn't done.

AoD

This seems a bit weak. https://outline.com/MhBAKp

Scarborough has three subway stations on the BDL, six stations on its own dedicated SRT line, seven GoTrain stations across two lines, it’s soon to have a LRT running right through the middle of Scarborough across Eglinton. Meanwhile they have a massive map of bus routes. This looks more comprehensive than transit in the suburbs of most North American cities. I don’t see what more the city can do.

Scarborough has three subway stations on the BDL, six stations on its own dedicated SRT line, seven GoTrain stations across two lines, it’s soon to have a LRT running right through the middle of Scarborough across Eglinton. Meanwhile they have a massive map of bus routes. This looks more comprehensive than transit in the suburbs of most North American cities. I don’t see what more the city can do.
To be fair the SRT will be demolished before the subway extension is finished. Regardless, this article tries to say a lot without saying anything at all. Yes we're long overdue on anything getting built. So what? Boring of the SSE starts next year, and Stouffville LIne already has a ton of upgrades under construction. Complaining that our leaders have been piss poor for the past decade isn't going to speed anything up. Now that things are actually being built, the last thing we need is more endless bickering that slows the projects even more.

As someone who lives in Etobicoke and commuted daily to Scarborough in the past, I can tell you from experience that transit in Scarborough is horrific. If you dont live near those 3 stations you made reference to; or to those said GO stations that are pretty much useful for funneling one to Union station and nothing more, you're in for a world of trouble.

It can literally take you 45 mins by bus just to reach a subway/train station, that will then actually take you to your destination. The buses themselves have horrid travel times, and are frequently packed. If I lived in Scarborough and owned a car, there is not 1 single day in our 365 days of the year that you would ever catch me taking any form of public transit there period.

Transit is a mess in Scarborough, and the fact that we still dont have shovels on the ground the replace the SRT let alone construct any other form of rapid transit in this area of the city is pathetically sad.

As someone who lives in Etobicoke and commuted daily to Scarborough in the past, I can tell you from experience that transit in Scarborough is horrific. If you dont live near those 3 stations you made reference to; or to those said GO stations that are pretty much useful for funneling one to Union station and nothing more, you're in for a world of trouble.

It can literally take you 45 mins by bus just to reach a subway/train station, that will then actually take you to your destination. The buses themselves have horrid travel times, and are frequently packed. If I lived in Scarborough and owned a car, there is not 1 single day in our 365 days of the year that you would ever catch me taking any form of public transit there period.

Transit is a mess in Scarborough, and the fact that we still dont have shovels on the ground the replace the SRT let alone construct any other form of rapid transit in this area of the city is pathetically sad.

Yes, but large chunks of Etobicoke and North York have a similarly rubbish transit experience.

Just came across this on Reddit.

Apparently there is growing discontent in the TTC..

3836b9c-1.png

Back