News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Worth noting is that the TTC did close Chester station many months back to expedite work on its elevators; and managed to finish them several months early.
Closing one station and having trains go through it is very different then closing a section of a line for a period of time to perform work on the signal system and also remove asbestos.

You really are a 'glass half-empty guy! I doubt that many people thought until at least mid-summer that we would be still be in semi-lockdown with a greatly reduced passenger load.
Not at all, when I wrote that back in June I wasn’t glass half full thinking, instead I thought, now, now’s this city’s chance to seize the opportunity of eradicated ridership to expedite the work that otherwise is delayed for years because of the need to rely on short periods of system disruption. With hundreds of thousands of dead by May 2020, no vaccine in sight and the WHO predicting this was going to last into 2021, I suggest that many people thought we will still be in lockdown now. If it was necessary to take six months to ponder the matter and rally the resources then I’m still happy about it, because they did exactly what I suggested, using the downtime to make the big repairs and updates.

Last edited:
Not at all, when I wrote that back in June I wasn’t glass half full thinking, instead I thought, now, now’s this city’s chance to seize the opportunity of eradicated ridership to expedite the work that otherwise is delayed for years because of the need to rely on short periods of system disruption. With hundreds of thousands of dead by May 2020, no vaccine in sight and the WHO predicting this was going to last into 2021, I suggest that many people thought we will still be in lockdown now. If it was necessary to take six months of ponder the matter and rally the resources then I’m still happy about it, because they did exactly what I suggested, using the downtime to make the big repairs and updates.

June, or maybe early July, is when the internal process to close the line and perform this project started. That an organization as large as the TTC was able to turn around and get this sorted out in 6 months - especially considering that they had to tender for the work - is a minor miracle.

Dan

Every time I look at this I am blown away by the complete lack of transit planning for connecting Peel region to Toronto. They spend Billions to connect Vaughn Centre (population 303,000) and extend the Yonge line to Richmond Hill. BUT NO PLANS at all for connecting Peel Region (population currently close to 1.500.000). The connecting highways - 401 and QEW- are both jammed with traffic and no connecting options being planned for. This is just unbelievable. Who makes these ridiculous decisions???

Future plans.jpg

Every time I look at this I am blown away by the complete lack of transit planning for connecting Peel region to Toronto. They spend Billions to connect Vaughn Centre (population 303,000) and extend the Yonge line to Richmond Hill. BUT NO PLANS at all for connecting Peel Region (population currently close to 1.500.000). The connecting highways - 401 and QEW- are both jammed with traffic and no connecting options being planned for. This is just unbelievable. Who makes these ridiculous decisions???

View attachment 287517

I mean the real issue here, and I dont necessarily blame you, is our inability to properly show GO on TTC and Toronto based maps.

Peel region will be served amazingly by GO RER upgrades over the next 10 years, and thats how it should be,

We shouldnt be building out TTC subways to serve regional transit, thats the purpose of GO.

Lakeshore already has 15 minute or better service, and so will Kitchener GO soon.

The coming electrification will turn GO systems into basically overground subways.

If your concern is that GO is more fare than TTC, please realize that if you were to build out the TTC network into the other regions, you can more than guarantee a fare by distance structure would be implemented on the TTC in response.

Connecting "the regions" to Toronto really should be (and hopefully will be) GO RER's job - no one wants to sit on a subway train for 2 hours and 55 stops from Pickering or whatever!

I used to go from Warden to Islington daily for work. That was one hell of a commute and one I would not like to repeat ever again.

On the flip side, going to Niagara from Union on the GO which was just over 2.5 hours was bearable but only because I was above ground with windows and a washroom. The comfy-ish seat was also helpful.

View attachment 287517
I think as someone else mentioned, the Eglinton West extension will at first terminate at Renforth Gateway, which is the current terminus of the Mississauga Transitway, a fully grade separated bus corridor serving MiExpress and GO busses, meaning that it is extremely fast, and doesn't require the bus to wait at red lights or in traffic. Its in a way a lower capacity LRT line that runs on busses. The only downside then is the forced linear transfer onto the Eglinton line, but in general, Peel will be connected by meaningful Rapid Transit from Square One to Midtown Toronto, especially since Eglinton West is now fully grade separated to Mount Dennis.

I think as someone else mentioned, the Eglinton West extension will at first terminate at Renforth Gateway, which is the current terminus of the Mississauga Transitway, a fully grade separated bus corridor serving MiExpress and GO busses, meaning that it is extremely fast, and doesn't require the bus to wait at red lights or in traffic. Its in a way a lower capacity LRT line that runs on busses. The only downside then is the forced linear transfer onto the Eglinton line, but in general, Peel will be connected by meaningful Rapid Transit from Square One to Midtown Toronto, especially since Eglinton West is now fully grade separated to Mount Dennis.

Btw, there is a provision to convert the transitway to LRT in the future. Its been built with that in mind, clearances, etc. Whether that would be an extension of the Crosstown or not is undetermined.

Its actually the only reason im in favour of full grade separation on the Eglinton West extension; because you need grade separations for very long lines to stay within proper headways.

Btw, there is a provision to convert the transitway to LRT in the future. Its been built with that in mind, clearances, etc. Whether that would be an extension of the Crosstown or not is undetermined.

Its actually the only reason im in favour of full grade separation on the Eglinton West extension; because you need grade separations for very long lines to stay within proper headways.
The Transitway becoming an LRT line will never happen in anyone life time as it part of the GO Thing that needs a lot more added to it to make it a system.

If it becomes an LRT thing, branch lines for GO routes will have to added in place of interline routes since you can't built LRT ROW or line where some routes run.

York BRT system is design to be an LRT at some future date running at grade and not everything needs to be grade separated for good headways.

If the Crosstown Line becomes part of the Transitway, still could run the current GO system on it and would require a branch line to the airport.

Connecting "the regions" to Toronto really should be (and hopefully will be) GO RER's job - no one wants to sit on a subway train for 2 hours and 55 stops from Pickering or whatever!
Doug Ford does! Especially since he takes the subway everyday in Toronto, I mean do you guys not see him commuting daily on the TTC? His commute consists of watching subways in his daily briefings, and on YouTube subway videos on his way to Queen's Park.

GO RER's job is to provide an express service between regions, there still needs to be that more local connective tissue, something that can get you from Midtown Toronto to Mississauga, or Brampton to York Region. GO transit is far too radial to be able to accomplish those, which is where projects like Yonge North, Scarborough-Pickering BRT, and Eglinton West subway come in.

Doug Ford does! Especially since he takes the subway everyday in Toronto, I mean do you guys not see him commuting daily on the TTC? His commute consists of watching subways in his daily briefings, and on YouTube subway videos on his way to Queen's Park.

I can imagine Doug Ford watching a subway...

me-intensely-watching-the-subway-employee-make-my-sandwich-58233427.png

From link.

TTC Board to hold next virtual meeting on December 15

Dec. 9, 2020

The TTC Board will hold its next virtual Board meeting on Tue., Dec. 15, 2020. The meeting will begin online at 10 a.m. and be streamed live on the Official TTC YouTube Channel.

The TTC Board will conduct the meeting using an online video conferencing platform. During the COVID-19 pandemic, TTC Board meetings are being conducted by electronic means. Commissioners, TTC staff and the public are expected to participate in meetings remotely. These measures are necessary to comply with physical distancing requirements and a Provincial Order that limits public gatherings.

The public can register to make deputations by submitting a request through the online form at: https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ttc.ca%2FAbout_the_TTC%2FCommission_reports_and_information%2FMaking_a_deputation.jsp&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cc65f8b4cd1cf45cd0a8a08d89c82acd3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637431432334724012%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=2Ipbju8B6AUZVUCymA9J0yFRozl6OkDjGNuxiGGEUQA%3D&reserved=0.

Deputations will be by way of written correspondence or by telephone only, and more information will be provided upon registration. The deadline to register is Mon. Dec. 14 at 12 noon.

Details of the virtual meeting are as follows:
Date: Tue., Dec. 15, 2020.
Time: 10 a.m.

View the agenda at: https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ttc.ca%2FAbout_the_TTC%2FCommission_reports_and_information%2FCommission_meetings%2F2020%2FDecember_15%2Findex.jsp&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cc65f8b4cd1cf45cd0a8a08d89c82acd3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637431432334724012%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=ZNeRK160Et8BjW6a0h4SBXYJn%2F%2Fn9cAjhmAN%2F0NBdW4%3D&reserved=0

Back