News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

By 1946, the war had ended and the women who replaced the men were starting to be let go.
900c-s0836ss0002fl0213it0001.png

Group of women TTC drivers and operators in front of streetcar. This picture was taken shortly before their employment with the TTC ended.
April 1946
Fonds 16, Series 836, Sub-series 2, File 213, Item 717.

See link.

Last edited:
This sucks

Bay Lower Subway Station​

Welcome to the station beneath the station: the TTC's Bay Lower Station. Although Bay Lower has been off limits to the public for years, the station has not been hidden away. Numerous commercials, television shows and movies have been shot at Bay Lower such as Total Recall, Resident Evil, Suicide Squad and many more.
Address:1240 Bay Street M5R2A5
Phone:416-919-6517
Days Open:Saturday May 28th 2022
Architectural Style:post-Modern (1945+)
Building Type:Government / City-owned SiteYear Constructed:1959Virtual Experience:No

This sucks

Welcome to the station beneath the station: the TTC's Bay Lower Station. Although Bay Lower has been off limits to the public for years, the station has not been hidden away. Numerous commercials, television shows and movies have been shot at Bay Lower such as Total Recall, Resident Evil, Suicide Squad and many more.
Building Type:Government / City-owned SiteYear Constructed:1959Virtual Experience:No
I’m confused: what sucks?

This sucks

Honestly considering the TTC is having its 100'th anniversary I was expecting more. I get the pandemic may have squashed some of their plans, but it sucks they aren't really opening anything at all except Lower Bay. Why not say McNicoll Garage since it just opened? I think it would also be neat if they opened the Wilson Complex since as far as I know its never been open to the public; although I guess it would be a pain to get to. Lower Queen would also be a great one since it is one that most people don't even know exists, honestly I think Lower Queen deserves more exposure and besides there won't be much opportunity left to show it off once construction at Queen Station begins for the OL.

Honestly if it were up to me, what I would do for the Doors Open as part of the 100th anniversary is a sort of celebration of the TTC's past, present, and future. Things I would open are:
  1. Roncesvalles Carhouse: which was opened by the Toronto Railway Company in 1895.
  2. Davenport Garage: which was opened by the TTC in 1925 (you can include the rest of Hillcrest with this tour)
  3. Davisville Yard: The TTC's first subway yard which opened in 1954
  4. McCowan Yard: Opened in 1985 and the RT closes next year so why not?
  5. Mount Dennis Yard: The Eglinton Crosstown will be the cities newest line.
I would also do some commemorative wraps for the Streetcars and Subway. For the streetcars 1 streetcar in a CLRV livery wrap, 1 in a PCC livery wrap, and 1 in a Peter Witt livery wrap. For the Subway a T1 and TR in a Gloucester livery wrap.

Last edited:
Yep, the city gets tons of new residents every year who've never seen it.
Or who have never bothered.

Though it's hard to see what more one could gain from the experience, that one doesn't get using the upper platform, peering through the crack in the barrier/door, or riding through on a train that doesn't stop.

Personally, I'd like to see Hillcrest open again one day. My youngest would love to see it ... must have been about a decade or so since I last remember it being open.

Why not say McNicoll Garage since it just opened?
A bus garage isn't really exciting to the general public
Lower Queen would also be a great one since it is one that most people don't even know exists, honestly I think Lower Queen deserves more exposure and besides there won't be much opportunity left to show it off once construction at Queen Station begins for the OL.
There isn't really anything to see it was just roughed in tunnels and parts of it have been used for the underpass between the platforms now. What there is to see if it probably isn't safe and can't be made safe for the general public to see.
Roncesvalles Carhouse: which was opened by the Toronto Railway Company in 1895.
They've done that a few times as well as Rissell. With the current construction at Queen/ King/ Roncesvalles, it's probably not feasible to allow the public in at this time.
Davisville Yard: The TTC's first subway yard which opened in 1954
Probably no easy way to get people in and out of it, it's not like Greenwood yard where it has easy street access.
McCowan Yard: Opened in 1985 and the RT closes next year so why not?
They did this one a few years ago as well

Many hope they would open something more. They could do this and another site.

Honestly, Doors Open as a whole is lacking this year.

None of the major draws are there this year and all that's left are small meaningless sites nobody would really visit.

Commerce Court, the Design Exchange, TD Tower, MacKenzie and Spadina House used to be major draws but this year none of them are on the schedule. To me, Doors Open is not really Doors Open without these sites.

Even City Hall closed the observation deck this year. Old City Hall and Osgoode Hall are also closed.

I can see Doors Open being a bust across the board this year.

Honestly, Doors Open as a whole is lacking this year.

None of the major draws are there this year and all that's left are small meaningless sites nobody would really visit.

Commerce Court, the Design Exchange, TD Tower, MacKenzie and Spadina House used to be major draws but this year none of them are on the schedule. To me, Doors Open is not really Doors Open without these sites.

Even City Hall closed the observation deck this year. Old City Hall and Osgoode Hall are also closed.

I can see Doors Open being a bust across the board this year.
Since you are, we hope, recovering from covid, you presumably remember that things around here have not been 'normal' for 2+ years. Organising an event like Doors Open must be a huge job so I think you/we should be happy to see it back - even if smaller than normal. Many City staff are still WFH and /or are on secondment to other areas of the City and many buildings are still not fully opened . (I went to a condo building recently where I not only had to be (well) masked I had to show my passport too. Overly cautious? Maybe but ...)

Back