News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What do you guys think of implementing heated shelters at bus, streetcar, or outdoor subway stops (like Davisville, Rosedale)?

The ones at the subway stops could be in a glass enclosure with a door. The surface stops could do that if there is enough space, or just use heat lamps similar to the ones used on patios.

Sure, it's a lovely idea but all this costs $$ and personally I would rather have more frequent/reliable transit than a nicer place to wait while a less frequent bus arrives (and is too full to get onto!)

The TTC could put coils (electric or hot water) into the slabs to heat them up to +4°C, and only if it is snowing or wet.

Uponor-snow-melt-diagram.jpeg
1lCHLO.AuSt.7.jpeg

500-100072117-894__1.jpg

They do that with driveways so they don't have to shovel.

They could even use geothermal heating from the ground as well to heat the platforms to melt the ice and snow.

Sure, it's a lovely idea but all this costs $$ and personally I would rather have more frequent/reliable transit than a nicer place to wait while a less frequent bus arrives (and is too full to get onto!)

I doubt it would preclude having better service, just like the fact that the next-vehicle info screens at shelters made waiting for the bus a better experience without precluding better service.

Sometimes it's worth doing cheap & fast things "quick wins" that improves people's experience.

Platform doors could solve the outdoor subway platform issue.

That would require ATC though, which won't be complete until 2018. Wouldn't it be cheaper & easier just to have a smaller glass enclosure on part of the platform?

Although, I guess you can already wait in the walkway above the platforms and just run down the stairs when you see the train coming.

I doubt it would preclude having better service, just like the fact that the next-vehicle info screens at shelters made waiting for the bus a better experience without precluding better service.

Sometimes it's worth doing cheap & fast things "quick wins" that improves people's experience.

The taxpayers didn't have to fork over a single penny for those.

I just noticed on TTC website ( http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Modernizing The TTC/TTC Organizational Chart.jsp ) that Chris Upfold is now the Acting Chief Service Officer and his old role of Chief Customer Officer has an acting head (Bob Hughes).

Chris Upfold, (Acting) Chief Service Officer - Service Delivery Group

Delivers world-class service on all bus and streetcar routes, and to customers in all TTC stations, day in and day out.

•Bus Transportation

•Wheel-Trans Operations

•Streetcar Transportation

•Group Station Management

•Collectors

•Station Janitors

•Transit Enforcement

Moving the chairs on the Titanic or hope for the future? I guess we must wait and see but Chris Upfold has always struck me as being on top of things.

Interesting, Byford says his main reason is that he thinks the city would reject the notion, but the poll in the article (unscientific of course), is strongly in favour of driverless trains.

I think that the union will be a bigger factor than the public. The Union wants to save their jobs, despite the ability of technology to run the trains more precisely.

:D

Rob Ford promises Finch subway in new YouTube video:

http://www.blogto.com/city/2014/02/rob_ford_promises_finch_subway_in_new_youtube_video/

Their new YouTube series, which features frighteningly close views of Doug Ford's face, rather explicitly lays out the basics of Ford's re-election campaign. And while most of this is familiar territory for anyone paying attention, the claim that subway infrastructure will be coming to Finch Avenue and that a Downtown Relief Line (yes, Ford called it by that name) will be built is noteworthy in its monorail-esque fantasy vision.

Back