News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A Finch subway? Really? Why not finish Sheppard first if you wanna go down that route?

But DRL, well if Ford is talking about it...

He's playing politics. The man who's giving Toronto it's first subway in decades doesn't need to make sense.

I think it's more that he hasn't given it much thought, and hasn't put much thought into what he's saying.

He has preferences for subways, but in general, he doesn't care as much about where the subways go as long as no LRTs get built. He still wants the Sheppard subway to STC though.

His subway preferences:
1. Sheppard east to STC
2. Finch
3. Anywhere else in Scarborough
4. Etobicoke & North York
5. Downtown

These are not strong preferences however, he really doesn't give a shit about transit. His love for subways & buses are really just a hatred of streetcars & LRT.

I think it's more that he hasn't given it much thought, and hasn't put much thought into what he's saying.

He has preferences for subways, but in general, he doesn't care as much about where the subways go as long as no LRTs get built. He still wants the Sheppard subway to STC though.

His subway preferences:
1. Sheppard east to STC
2. Finch
3. Anywhere else in Scarborough
4. Etobicoke & North York
5. Downtown

These are not strong preferences however, he really doesn't give a [censored] about transit. His love for subways & buses are really just a hatred of streetcars & LRT.
No love for York and East York?

No love for York and East York?

No, he never mentions those two when describing places that "deserve subways". On his priority list they would probably rank at the bottom with downtown (I should have added them, but since he never mentions them I forgot).

The first thing he tried to do as mayor on transit was cancel the Eglinton-Crosstown, the transit line that runs through both East York and York. Thankfully others didn't let him. (Source is the new book Crazy Town by Robyn Doolittle).

Somehow I doubt Rob Ford could point out York or East York on a map. But to be fair, can anyone? Those entities have pretty much vanished from the public consciousness.

The first thing he tried to do as mayor on transit was cancel the Eglinton-Crosstown, the transit line that runs through both East York and York. Thankfully others didn't let him. (Source is the new book Crazy Town by Robyn Doolittle).

He wanted to cancel it. As in not even replace it with something else!?

That's beyond stupid (even by Rob Ford standards)

Correct, Ford's intention immediately after the election was to move all Transit City funding (Eglinton, Finch, Sheppard LRT, SRT money, and he made noise about the VIVA improvements too at one point) to Sheppard and build out the subway both East and West. A number of Ford's staff have worked with Mel Lastman for an extended period and may have had an interest in continuing that legacy. Ford is anti LRT, not pro-subway so I don't think he cares much about what the plan is.

Metrolinx talked Ford (at the time he had immense political clout) into doing Eglinton fully underground instead, not touching VIVA (not that he could), and hooking into the SRT (a single LRT line). Ford seemed relatively happy with that compromise.

Eglinton and Finch would have continued their standard bus service. Finch is getting the buses from the Transit City Bus plan that was killed in the Ford's first operating budget.

Of course, council then found a backbone and it's been nothing but confusion since.

Last edited:
Under Rob Ford, many TTC projects are unfunded, waiting for another mayor to support them. Unfortunately, should those projects get a go-ahead, the Fords would scream that the "gravy train" is back.

2014_Cap_Ex5_UnfundedProjects.jpg

Not mentioned, were the cuts in service done under Ford to save money. Going back to the prior service levels would be another return to the "gravy train".

Then there are service improvements that would greatly help the transit user. Such as an west extension to the St. Clair streetcar to Jane or Scarlett Road, which cannot happen because the councilor in the ward where it would happen is a strong supporter of Rob Ford.

Come on, BMO. That obviously has nothing to do with the Union Station Second Platform project. Please at least try to post things in an appropriate thread.

I've moved that post and replies moved to "Other Items" thread.

it was early in the morning and when I searched "screen platform" it showed both threads on top of each other and I accidentally posted in the Union Station thread. Since people started replying I figured I would leave it. MY apologies.

That's beyond stupid (even by Rob Ford standards)

He really doesn't care about transit or think about it much. He just wants to reward the three suburban former cities with subways so that he can get elected on their support. His election plan was always win the support of the three suburban boroughs and harness their anger. He and many of his supporters will never take transit.

His plan in 2010 really was to cancel Eglinton and leave it with buses, no subway. He doesn't care about Eglinton since much of it is in Old Toronto or York & East York.

Somehow I doubt Rob Ford could point out York or East York on a map. But to be fair, can anyone? Those entities have pretty much vanished from the public consciousness.

York you never hear anymore, you only hear "Eglinton West". East York I think you do hear sometimes to refer to the area north of the Danforth.

One of Rob Ford's supporters is Frances Nunziata, Ward 11, formally Mayor of the City of York. She's the speaker.

Back