News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Advocacy group TTC Riders has some additional detail on the TTC budget.

It includes service cuts!

1672951915762.png

1672951978443.png

I will now go to the TTC budget and see what I can find.

I'm reviewing the Capital Budget as I type:

1672952421024.png

1672952453630.png

Of note so far: ATC on Line 2 now fully funded

1672952529178.png

- Somehow we are still paying for the TYSSE (beyond debt servicing)

- Waterfront Transit Design continues. This looks to me like their taking it to 100% design.......... hmmm

Additional Items:

8 new streetscars targeted for acceptance this year.

Platform Edge Doors now have a price tag and a line item but are 100% NOT funded. ~$2.8B

New TTC Bus Garage on Kipling has a timeline 2032-2038. ( 6 years to build a bus garage? )

Ha! My nagging got a project on to their list after years of trying; of course with a time horizon of 2039, should I be around to see it I will not be a young man!

1672953335326.png

Here's something of note:

They years are Project Start, Project Finish. (in the case of the below, I believe this is merely real estate acquisition, as I don't think they are anywhere near ready to do Broadview )

1672953391273.png

1672953439634.png

1672953527031.png

Below, of note, a new siding on Line 1 in the Rosedale open-cut. Also interesting turn-of-phrase on the Line 2 West extension:

1672953624743.png

Next........is the TTC seriously contemplated starting the massive St. George Stn expansion project before they finish Bloor-Yonge?

1672953736761.png

Very interesting for UT'ers; @interchange42 may wish to take note of TTC landholdings which will be in discussion for development opportunities with CreateTO in the years ahead.

1672953990883.png

1672954019333.png

Interesting to see the large amount of money devoted to second exits. Years below read from 2023 on the left:

1672954189743.png

* End *

Last edited:
The Advocacy group TTC Riders has some additional detail on the TTC budget.

It includes service cuts!

View attachment 448681

View attachment 448682

I will now go to the TTC budget and see what I can find.

If this not a propaganda puff piece by TTCRiders it would be disastrous for the network and riders.

Having 6 minute on peak and 10 minute off peak service would be brutal and would force many people off the system in favor of a more efficient method. Also, reducing surface routes will not win any friends either.

All in all, if this is true it will upset alot of people.

I'm now rummaging through the Operating budget.

I'm only going to make note of things that have not been mentioned thus far.

I like this bit, the beginnings of raising overnight service to 15M frequency on a few routes, wlong with more weekend service in select areas:

1672954648439.png

They expect a lot more revenue from charging Fare Evaders:

1672954728635.png

TTC Planning for a 2023 average ridership of 73% of pre-pandemic levels. They were at 69% when we last got data, and the projected rise takes them to 75% at year end 2023.

Here's a look their planning profile showing a range of potential ridership levels:

1672955149402.png

Here's the service hours cut by mode:

1672955231999.png

I've already written the mayors office. I flat out asked them to raise my property taxes 50 to 100% to bring them in line with regional averages (with exemptions for elderly and low income.) The idea that a city as rich as Toronto should be facing deep service cuts is cynical and disgraceful.

I am hoping that with the opening of Line 5 later this year (allegedly) and Line 6 next year (allegedly), that the actual budget for this and next year will be better.

What did you expect? Increase service to run empty trains and streetcars while everyone works from home?
I don't think anyone is surprised that service will be reduced because demand has reduced. That isn't what people are objecting too.

The big issue is that are increasing the crowding standard by 30% during most periods of the day. That's a massive service cut.

This means that the gap between vehicles also increased by 30%. Plus whatever it also increases because there is less ridership.

Is it really that bad ? The data clearly indicates demand is no where near peak and if anything the increase is plateauing out. They increased service levels due to social distancing requirements, let's assume this isn't needed for the time being (not getting into that debate) ... anecdotally from my TTC rides (I'll defer to those that frequent it more often) this seems like the correct way of handling it, I find the subways more often then not have a lot more space then they did pre-pandemic, not so much on busses and streetcars (though this varies by route ...). This makes sense, the socioeconomic impacts of work from home clearly impact the subway more then other forms of transit (for fairly obvious reasons I'd argue).

I don't think anyone is surprised that service will be reduced because demand has reduced. That isn't what people are objecting too.

The big issue is that are increasing the crowding standard by 30% during most periods of the day. That's a massive service cut.

This means that the gap between vehicles also increased by 30%. Plus whatever it also increases because there is less ridership.

I think its important to go further than this.

I agree w/what your saying; but we need to acknowledge the problem of absolutely terrible headway management at the TTC.

I live adjacent to a nominally frequent route (ie. every 10M or better at most times); yet its frequently too crowded to sit in off-peak and in peak its sometimes to full to board.

This happens because 2 or more buses are running in a bunch, for no good reason, and the first one is packed to the gills and the second runs near empty.

On paper, this shows up at 65% of capacity.

But that's not the way most passengers experience it.

We can't be rationalizing service, when service isn't rational.

Let me add, I have a friend who works late on Fridays and Saturdays downtown. I am told he literally can't board trains at Bloor-Yonge heading east, because they're too full, after 11pm at night.

This is with service nominally at something like every 8m; the proposed service level might drop that to every 10.

That's utter insanity and no way to attract ridership (or retain it)

Might be a relative golden age of capital spending, but ops keeps getting worse.

Ops is grossly mismanaged and underfunded to boot. (see above)

But capital is hardly in a golden age.

There's more unfunded in the capital budget than funded!

1672975234342.png

Oh yeah, I know the SOGR backlog is crazy. I meant there's a relative largess for new builds.

Last edited:
Is it really that bad ? The data clearly indicates demand is no where near peak and if anything the increase is plateauing out.
It's potentially catastrophic. Bad service leads to worse ridership, which in turn leads to more service cuts. I believe it's known as a transit death spiral. The TTC is already badly mismanaging the current service levels so cutting more service is an ominous sign. Worth noting, the TTC expects demand to increase in 2023.

But capital is hardly in a golden age.
In fairness, if you include provincially funded projects, there are more lines under construction now than there ever have been at any point in my life.

Back