News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Get rid of street parking along transit routes (including bus, streetcar, subway, and light rail routes). People can walk, cycle, or use public transit in the city. Out of towners can use GO. Provide delivery zones on the side streets, better yet truck delivery zones on adjacent Green P lots and garages. Make public transit a higher priority than the single-occupant automobile.

The City of Toronto needs to change its policy ratings. Currently, the single-occupant automobile gets #1 priority. That should change to…

#1 priority—emergency vehicles
#2 priority—the pedestrians
#3 priority—public transit
#4 priority—cycling
#5 priority—delivery and contractor trucks
#6 priority—automobiles with more than one person
#7 priority—single-occupant automobiles
#8 priority— personal trucks or large SUVs not used for delivery
Who do you think is parking there? It's mostly locals! And the parking spaces were put in since a car lane was taken away and replaced with a bike lane, a full width lane is wasteful for just bikes, and sharing it with a bus is wayyy to narrow.

I'm not going to suggest these are wrong.........(they aren't)

But worth saying, I just did the same search via google:

View attachment 448952

View attachment 448953

So it obviously varies by time of day and luck of the draw a bit.
Google doesn't seem to consider walking up and down the stairs, also for my McDonalds trip (victoria park) I'd have to leave the restaurant, then cross the street to get to the bus stop which can add a few mins (so more padding/waiting outside) Also all of this assumes both buses arrive on time.

My route has a single bus!!! running so if he's late, stuck etc well that's me waiting and the schedule messed up for hours.

Who do you think is parking there? It's mostly locals! And the parking spaces were put in since a car lane was taken away and replaced with a bike lane, a full width lane is wasteful for just bikes, and sharing it with a bus is wayyy to narrow.

Google doesn't seem to consider walking up and down the stairs, also for my McDonalds trip (victoria park) I'd have to leave the restaurant, then cross the street to get to the bus stop which can add a few mins (so more padding/waiting outside) Also all of this assumes both buses arrive on time.

My route has a single bus!!! running so if he's late, stuck etc well that's me waiting and the schedule messed up for hours.
The locals walk there. Usually, the business owner or employees end up parking there all day, because they are "rich" enough to own a car for a single-occupant commute.

Google doesn't seem to consider walking up and down the stairs, also for my McDonalds trip (victoria park) I'd have to leave the restaurant, then cross the street to get to the bus stop which can add a few mins (so more padding/waiting outside)
Google absolutely takes this into account. In fact, it is quite conservative on its timings for things like walking.

Dan

Google absolutely takes this into account. In fact, it is quite conservative on its timings for things like walking.

Dan
I'm sorry but I trust my own personal experience more than googles suggestions.
(again note that you have to climb up and down 2 very tall sets of stairs, and this assumes you don't miss the bus due the first one being late)

1673289460683.png

Regardless, I doubt anyone is going to disagree when I say that the ttc isn't setup for running errands in the suburbs.

Last edited:
TTC’s 2023 budget invests in safety and cleanliness while maintaining fares for key groups

Jan. 9, 2023

Today, the TTC Board approved its operating and capital budgets for the coming year. The budgets will deliver service based on new, post-pandemic ridership patterns. The budget also invests millions in new safety and cleanliness measures.

"The budget approved today will ensure that the TTC can continue delivering service over and above ridership levels and increase service to communities that need it. This budget invests in safety across our transit system and works to keep fares affordable for seniors and our most vulnerable residents. I am confident that this budget will help to improve reliability, safety, and cleanliness of public transit for all Toronto transit riders.” said Toronto Mayor John Tory.

“The 2023 budget approved today gives us the ability to meet the needs of our customers,” said TTC Chair Jon Burnside. “This budget balances our need to deliver safe service while managing lower revenues and increased operating costs associated with inflation and new transit lines. I want to thank the TTC staff for preparing this budget.”

The TTC board approved a 10-cent fare increase on single cash and PRESTO rides while freezing fares for seniors, Fair Pass program users and those with PRESTO monthly and annual passes. Revenue from this fare increase, in addition to the City’s proposed subsidy to the TTC of $958.7 million, will go toward ensuring the system is reliable, safe and accessible for all Torontonians. The 10-cent fare increase will come into effect on April 3.

The $2.38 billion combined operating budgets for conventional and Wheel-Trans services include:

• More than $4 million for safety, security and cleanliness. This includes hiring 10 additional Streets to Homes outreach workers, adding 25 new Transit Special Constable positions and filling 25 vacant positions, and introducing enhanced daily streetcar cleaning.
• Nearly $3 million dedicated to service improvements in routes serving Neighbourhood Improvement Areas and expansion of the Fair Pass Program to an additional 50,000 lower income Torontonians.
• Almost $43 million for the opening of Line 5 Eglinton-Crosstown and Line 6 Finch West, and the bus replacement of Line 3 Scarborough RT.
• A commitment to continue delivering service levels above current ridership levels.

This year’s share of the $12.5 billion 2023-2032 capital budget plan is approximately $1.34 billion, comprising $800 million for infrastructure and state of good repair projects, $455 million for vehicle purchases and overhauls and $88 million for transit expansion-related work.

The capital budget report also updates both the TTC’s 15-year, $38 billion Capital Investment Plan (CIP) and Real Estate Investment Plan, a 15-year strategic roadmap that supports the CIP. Highlights of the TTC’s 2022-2031 Capital Budget and Plan include:

• Funding for essential safety and state of good repair capital work to ensure safety and reliability of our system.
• Funding to meet legislative requirements related to full accessibility of the system by 2025.
• Advancing delivery of the fleet procurement strategy for the procurement of 60 streetcars, hundreds of hybrid and battery-electric buses and 70 Wheel-Trans vehicles.
• Continuing work on three major capacity improvement projects (Bloor-Yonge, Line 1 and Line 2).

“Transforming the TTC to meet future population and ridership growth is at the heart of our long term capital plans,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “The TTC will keep Toronto moving as we come out of the pandemic and our ridership patterns keep evolving. Most importantly, we will continue to be there for those who need us most.”

The TTC’s budget goes to the City of Toronto for final approval by Council in the coming weeks.

Things must be quite bad that the TTC now has commercial ads on Youtube. I just watched one for the first time. Wonder how much of a pretty penny they paid for the marketing.

Things must be quite bad that the TTC now has commercial ads on Youtube. I just watched one for the first time. Wonder how much of a pretty penny they paid for the marketing.
It's 1996 all over again, this time we aren't sure if ridership will rebound. The COVID cuts are comparable to the 1996 cuts: https://transittoronto.ca/archives/data/199602181543.shtml
They already suggested a higher crowding standard to be standardized which is already in place on many routes as we see overcrowded buses with no sight of relief.

I really don't see how advertisement will bring anymore back on transit unless downtown jobs come back.

Times have changed. When i was in my late teens early 20s in the late 90s early 00s, I always took the TTC. it wasn't safe to cycle on the streets, and taxi's were too expensive. But now a days talking with my younger family members under 30 over Christmas, they rarely take the TTC. They don't have cars but they take ride shares, or cycle, or E-bikes. I even find myself taking the TTC less these days. I'm biking more in the nice weather or if it's cold or wet out, i will just grab an Uber.

It's 1996 all over again, this time we aren't sure if ridership will rebound. The COVID cuts are comparable to the 1996 cuts: https://transittoronto.ca/archives/data/199602181543.shtml
They already suggested a higher crowding standard to be standardized which is already in place on many routes as we see overcrowded buses with no sight of relief.

I really don't see how advertisement will bring anymore back on transit unless downtown jobs come back.

How dare you say this. Apparently this suggestion is preposterous!!!

I do find the service discussions interesting. I've started taking TTC more now with the cold weather and I'm very happy with the service. The longest I've had to wait for a streetcar or subway train is 4 minutes.
I'm not a daily commuter so I'm only experiencing a snippet. Very happy right now. Service cuts might change that though

It is now - but it looks like they padded the numbers significantly - at least at subway stations, sometime last fall. And there's always the odd error, where it doesn't seem to think you can cross a street. at an intersection.

I do find the service discussions interesting. I've started taking TTC more now with the cold weather and I'm very happy with the service. The longest I've had to wait for a streetcar or subway train is 4 minutes.
I'm not a daily commuter so I'm only experiencing a snippet. Very happy right now. Service cuts might change that though
My recent (post-Christmas week) experiences on the 504 is that service is bunched, but still frequent enough at all times of day that I never have anxiety about about showing up at a stop without checking pending arrivals in advance.
The 501 on the other hand is still horrible... but that's just as it always has been, and I sitll go out of my way to avoid it.

The subway is where I've had the worst experiences, particularly in the mid-day period (noon +/- two hours) where it seems like a train disappears and a ten minute wait happens far too often

Last edited:
Subway has been pretty good so far. I'd say about 20% of the time there has been a long enough wait to connect to the Wi-Fi

The big problem that has to be fixed at the TTC is the bunching and missing vehicles on the surface routes. There are solutions available, IF they are given the power to do so. Public transit needs to be given a higher priority than the single-occupant auto.

1673468219314.png

Back