News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Yeah let's get back on topic. I'll just close by saying as someone who was the victim of a violent crime recently, I find it deplorable that I might have gotten charged for macing the perp.

Yeah let's get back on topic. I'll just close by saying as someone who was the victim of a violent crime recently, I find it deplorable that I might have gotten charged for macing the perp.

Technically you could but I am sure it'd end up being one of those "citizen's arrest" type of situation once the media get involved.

AoD

Technically you could but I am sure it'd end up being one of those "citizen's arrest" type of situation once the media get involved.
Crazy guy running around stabbing people maybe ...

But verbally abusive (but later found to be unarmed) panhandler in a crowded confined space, where they have to stop a train in the station, and evacuate it, and media reports about kids getting it in their eyes? There'd be little sympathy for someone who caused something like that - either from the judicary or the press.

Crazy guy running around stabbing people maybe ...

But verbally abusive (but later found to be unarmed) panhandler in a crowded confined space, where they have to stop a train in the station, and evacuate it, and media reports about kids getting it in their eyes? There'd be little sympathy for someone who caused something like that - either from the judicary or the press.

Obviously it shouldn't be used unless bodily harm is involved. The equation changes in that situation.

AoD

TTC safety: Why can't we use our cellphones on Toronto's subways?

After spate of violent incidents on Toronto's subway, users ask: Why can't we use our phones to call for help?​

From link.
Transit users in Toronto have had unsettling, scary and nerve-racking commutes this year.

The latest violent incident on the TTC led to a 16-year-old's death after Gabriel Magalhaes was stabbed while waiting for a train on a bench at Keele station in Toronto's west end.

Magalhaes is the fourth victim to be killed while using the city’s public transit system since last April.

The tragic incident is sparking renewed demand to install a fully accessible mobile network that can be accessed underground on the subway, so that people have the option to call emergency services if needed.
While free Wi-Fi is available at all subway stations, not all phone networks are accessible.

For the last decade, BAI Communications Inc., which has built network infrastructures around the world, has exclusively owned and operated the service infrastructure in the TTC. That means the physical infrastructure is in place to have network availability, but it’s currently limited to those with Freedom Mobile. The rest of the country's big telecommunication providers — Telus, Bell and Rogers — have refused to sign on.

Toronto city councillor Chris Moise, who sits on the TTC board, told the Toronto Star that those corporations should be “shamed” into providing service, calling the situation “appalling.”

Rosa Addario is the communications manager with OpenMedia, a community organization that works to keep the internet open, affordable and surveillance-free. She says the reason the major telecoms won’t sign on comes down to corporate greed.

“They’re all demanding to have their own networks, but they also refuse to build their network and they refuse to partner,” she tells Yahoo News Canada. “For the longest time, this conversation was about how annoying it was to not have service underground, but now it’s a real safety concern.”
It’s not unusual for telecom companies to share their networks with each other. With the case of the TTC, Addario explains that BAI doesn’t have roaming agreements with other telecoms, which means they would have to pay extra money to sign on.

“For the amount of time people spend on the TTC, it’s a nominal amount of their overall data and cell usage but it’s still an extra expense for these telcos, so they still say no,” she says.

Addario adds that last year’s Rogers outage in Toronto led to many concerns about not being able to access 911, which is a reality for passengers every time they use the subway.

“All the telecoms need to do is enter into network agreements with BAI and everyone would have service on the TTC,” she says. “It’s not a complicated issue in the way they would like us to believe.”
Other major cities in Canada appear to have stronger mobile connectivity on their transit systems than Toronto.

In 2013, Montreal announced that Bell, Rogers, TELUS and Vidéotron had partnered to deploy the 4G LTE mobile network across its entire subway service, a venture that was completed in 2020.

While much of Vancouver’s Translink services are above ground, they’ve expanded their underground LTE connectivity for its customers in recent years.

TTC CEO Rick Leary is not worth the money ($473,440.21) we are paying him, if we still not have cell phone service in the tunnels.

In respect of the recent murder at Keele Station, I have sought to continue that discussion in the Federal Politics thread as it seems an apt place for issues around justice, mental health/addiction, homelessness etc. (the Provincial thread could also be appropriate, but I digress).

This is a link to my post in that thread, where I present a Star article and some info contained therein with my thoughts:

A question is not an admission. Can I drive my motorcycle down the subway tunnel?

To identically phrase the statement in question........

"Is anyone else driving their motorcycle down a subway tunnel" ?

That is an admission as a matter of law. Just saying.

Too bad the victim didn't have Pepper Spray or an Olfa knife.

Is it though?

The assumption being that they would have seen the attack coming.

If, as seems the case, the attack was entirely unprovoked, and out of nowhere (facts to be determined); but assuming that is the case....

Why would that have made any difference? Does one suppose the victim was sitting up, faced-forward, paying attention, saw the attack coming and did nothing? While possible, this seems improbable.

The likelihood would be that the victim did not see the attack coming, therefore did not react until already victimized, and there was likely little to be done then but render medical assistance.

We shall see what the facts at trial reveal; but superficially, I would not draw the conclusion that any weapon in the possession of the victim would have made a difference here.

A question is not an admission. Can I drive my motorcycle down the subway tunnel?

To identically phrase the statement in question........

"Is anyone else driving their motorcycle down a subway tunnel" ?

That is an admission as a matter of law. Just saying.
Actually, there was a service suspension about a month or two ago on the Bloor-Danforth line because someone had their motorized vehicle on track level.

But anyways dont mind me, just wanted to bring that point to light in case someone was wondering whether or not a motorcycle or similar style vehicle was ever found in a subway tunnel ;)

Last edited:

Back