News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Based on the documents, it looks like as far as Cherry St is concerned, it will indeed operate as a sub-route overlapping with the existing 504 (Dundas W-Broadview) route; on the east end it'll run from Cherry Loop heading north to and west along King, on the west it runs "to Downtown". Note the difference vs. the existing route heading west "to Downtown and Dundas West Stn". Of course, nobody really thought they'd run it as far as Dundas West, but this is, as far as I know, the most information we've gotten in terms of an official plan for Cherry.

What remains to be seen is:
  • what "to Downtown" means; at a minimum it would follow the 503's Church-Wellington-York, could use Bathurst or Shaw in some fashion, or maybe go as far as Roncesvalles, but my money is definitely on Dufferin--it certainly seems to make the most sense, serving both the new development on Cherry and increasing service for Liberty Village adjacent to Dufferin Loop
  • whether they still call this portion the 504 King, or assign a new route number and just have "504 Broadview/Dundas W" and "504 Cherry/Dufferin"
  • similarly to the route number, I don't think they've said for sure whether or not this will be a 24-hour route/part of the 304 King blue-night service
  • how much service is scheduled for Cherry-Dufferin (or wherever it runs to) vs Broadview-Dundas W
View attachment 54976

I assumed that the 504 would just Y at Cherry. 2 out of 3 would continue to Broadview Stn and 1 out of 3 would go down Cherry St. This is what I recall from 5 years ago. There are a few benefits to this:

- shorter trips means more frequent service on the rest of King St (if they keep the same number of cars)
- they don't have to build the Broadview & Queen streetcar loop (preliminary plans were for one in the parking lot just north of Broadview

I assume/hope the TTC will permit people to transfer from Cherry & King to Cherry and Queen.

I assumed that the 504 would just Y at Cherry. 2 out of 3 would continue to Broadview Stn and 1 out of 3 would go down Cherry St.
It would be a nightmare if they tried to blend service. Hopefully they do like 501 and 502, and just run two unrelated overlapping services. Otherwise services from Broadview to Sumach are going to be odd.

- they don't have to build the Broadview & Queen streetcar loop (preliminary plans were for one in the parking lot just north of Broadview
How would 501 short-turn at Cherry?

I assume/hope the TTC will permit people to transfer from Cherry & King to Cherry and Queen.
Cherry doesn't intersect King; it changes to Sumach at Eastern. Hopefully the 150 metre walk from King to Queen down Sumach would be an official transfer point - it's shorter than a subway platform.

Running the new service from Cherry Loop to Dufferin Loop would be nice. I also wouldn't mind if they ran it around the 503 Church/Wellington/York loop - though perhaps that isn't what they have in mind, as it doesn't the busy piece of King to Bathurst. Hopefully with a new route number - or we'll here endless complaints about 504s being short-turned. No one complains about 501s being short-turned at McCaul when a 502 goes by.

I still think they've missed the boat on this. There should be a good service from West Donlands to Union Station. And there's no east-west service into Union station, north of the tracks.

Cherry loop might also be a good place to start and stop the 508 service, rather than sending it up Parliament. Particularly in the PM where it doesn't start until Church, missing the stops it serves to Parliament eastbound. Assuming that it ever is restored.

The Star has this about todays' early morning crash of 3 streetcars: "The TTC is also investigating why three vehicles were in such close proximity shortly about 2:15 a.m. when traffic congestion is not an issue." I think we all know the answer to that question, poor line management and bunching, at 2.15am!

The Star has this about todays' early morning crash of 3 streetcars: "The TTC is also investigating why three vehicles were in such close proximity shortly about 2:15 a.m. when traffic congestion is not an issue." I think we all know the answer to that question, poor line management and bunching, at 2.15am!

Were these vehicles in service, or were they out-of-service and going back to a yard/carhouse? If the latter, then I don't see why bunching or line management would be a concern.

In various threads there have been comments about why Toronto/Ontario do not use the "white bar" transit signals seen elsewhere. The Ontario Ministry of Transportation seem to be discussing allowing this, I wrote and asked them and got a letter in reply today that said "The Canadian Manual of Uniform Traffic Devices has the white vertical bar, the white left offset : bar and the white right offset bar as standard for traffic priority signals. We are aware of the Canadian standard and will be actively discussing with municipalities about updating the Ontario standard and the Highway Traffic Act to meet the national standard."

re: the subway early opening on Sundays, I wonder if the thinking at TTC is moving towards more full day/weekend closures and trying to do less on Sunday mornings (especially if it might overrun anyway). Maybe they think with all the Union 2nd platform, Yonge tunnel rehabilitation and signalling closures that we're getting used to them anyway.

re: the subway early opening on Sundays, I wonder if the thinking at TTC is moving towards more full day/weekend closures and trying to do less on Sunday mornings (especially if it might overrun anyway). Maybe they think with all the Union 2nd platform, Yonge tunnel rehabilitation and signalling closures that we're getting used to them anyway.
If the subway were to open early on Sundays, they wouldnt have a choice and they would have to do more full day weekend closures. That and there would be even more slow orders around the system, so people really have to pick their poison.

Tory likes to push this as part of his little agenda, but as per usual he doesnt reveal the true effects of what this would do. Classic Tory two-facing tactics.

If the subway were to open early on Sundays, they wouldnt have a choice and they would have to do more full day weekend closures. That and there would be even more slow orders around the system, so people really have to pick their poison.

Yeah but 9AM? How about opening at least 8AM?

Back